User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Removing JacaScript event attributes

Hi,

I have some code to clean up an HTML document before doing additional processing. One of the steps in cleaning up the HTML document is to remove all JavaScript event attributes from HTML tags (such as onclick, onblur, etc). I have the following code but it seems to have problems when the JavaScript contains a \". I'm not so great with regular expressions so I'm not really sure how to have it exclude the \" sub-pattern. Any help on how to make this regex better would be appropriated!

PHP Code:
    $html preg_replace('#(onabort|onactivate|onafterprint|onafterupdate|onbeforeactivate|on
    beforecopy|onbeforecut|onbeforedeactivate|onbeforeeditfocus|onbeforepaste|onbefo
    reprint|onbeforeunload|onbeforeupdate|onblur|onbounce|oncellchange|onchange|oncl
    ick|oncontextmenu|oncontrolselect|oncopy|oncut|ondataavaible|ondatasetchanged|on
    datasetcomplete|ondblclick|ondeactivate|ondrag|ondragdrop|ondragend|ondragenter|
    ondragleave|ondragover|ondragstart|ondrop|onerror|onerrorupdate|onfilterupdate|o
    nfinish|onfocus|onfocusin|onfocusout|onhelp|onkeydown|onkeypress|onkeyup|onlayou
    tcomplete|onload|onlosecapture|onmousedown|onmouseenter|onmouseleave|onmousemove
    |onmoveout|onmouseover|onmouseup|onmousewheel|onmove|onmoveend|onmovestart|onpas
    te|onpropertychange|onreadystatechange|onreset|onresize|onresizeend|onresizestar
    t|onrowexit|onrowsdelete|onrowsinserted|onscroll|onselect|onselectionchange|onse
    lectstart|onstart|onstop|onsubmit|onunload)\s*=\s*".*?"#is'
    ''$html); 
    Thanks!

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use htmlpurifier. Trying to parse html and javascript using regular expressions is very difficult to do correctly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This might be helpful.

I solve practical problems. bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crmalibu View Post
    Use htmlpurifier. Trying to parse html and javascript using regular expressions is very difficult to do correctly.
    I'll second this with the addendum that if you're filtering input from untrusted sources (guest users) you're probably better off using a bbcode library. Direct attachment of event handlers like this isn't the only way to attach javascript events to an object.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Htmlpurifier looks pretty solid. Unfortunatly it only parses anything within the body tags . I'm writing something where I need to parse an entire web page. Basically I want to strip out the javascript in order to clean out some crud before the parser attempts to extract data from the page.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not familiar enough with it to tell you what to do, but I'm sure you just need to tweak it a bit. There's TONS of configuration options and extensibility. They have a forum.

Unobtrusively zen silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    From the HTML Purifier configuration documentation it appears that the head section is not supported at all.

From the HTML.allowedElements section:

Note that this method is subtractive: it does its job by taking away from HTML Purifier usual feature set, so you cannot add a tag that HTML Purifier never supported in the first place (like embed, form or head).
    Programming Group Advisor
    Reference: JavaScript, Quirksmode Validate: HTML Validation, JSLint
    Car is to Carpet as Java is to JavaScript