SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    I don't understand why when I go to import a web using the import web wizard in FP2000, it loads the index twice, asking me, "this web already contains index.htm, would you like to replace it"
    Problem is, my index is a html, not htm, why does it re-name it to htm?
    I always have to go back in and re-name it...
    This is a mystery to me, anybody else notice this happening?

exit();
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not just keep in in the .htm extension? Or, once you just keep saving it as what you want, it will remember that and everything will be okay!

------------------
    Webmaster's Network
    The Ultimate Webmaster Resource Center

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FP 2000 seems to like to rename web pages with htm. I've learned to live with it. The reason maybe that it does not want to have different extensions associated with HTML documents .htm doesn't cause problems with any browsers that I know of. However, if you rename your pages, sooner or later you end with a combanation of .htm and .html, which will cause problems. I hope this doesn't discourage you from using Front Page. It really is a good program (IMHO). Good luck!

------------------
    Your opportunity on the web is now! www.westmichiganweb.com

[This message has been edited by chagrined (edited January 31, 2000).]

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The one and only reason that Frontpage uses the .htm extension is because Microsoft still adheres to the 8.3 file name convention for the most part. If you look in your windows folder there won't be a single critical file, that was created by Microsoft, that doesn't have an 8.3 filename . The reason for this is because of the 16 bit code embedded within Win9X still. That code cannot access long filenames very well. It doesn't matter what your name your HTML files. They could have an extension of .myhtmlfile. As long as your server thinks its an html file and tells the user agents (browsers) its a html file, the browser will take the servers word for it. This is why .PHP, .CFM and .ASP work in all browsers without plugins or mime mappings on the local computer.

------------------
    Wayne Luke

The Majormud Encyclopedia - www.bloodquest2.com
    Come Play one of the hottest games on the net.

[This message has been edited by wluke (edited January 31, 2000).]

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason I am nervous to leave it as .htm is I beleive the server is set to look at the index.html as the default start page, not htm.