SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Yahoo Question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Yahoo Question

Is paying $299/year for getting listed in the yahoo directory worth it?

I dont think a listing is worth that much money. Well unless it brings 1000's a day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

I guess it depends on the site. Personally, I wouldn't pay that much for a listing at Yahoo, because you aren't guaranteed any particular placement or even placement at all...
    Payment does not guarantee inclusion in the directory, site placement, or site commentary. It only guarantees that Yahoo! will respond to your submission within seven business days.
    Just my opinion. I'm sure Yahoo listings really help some people.

Jason
    Jason Bradley
    Post your project and receive FREE bids from professionals!
    naSnap Freelance Marketplace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Yahoo Question

Originally posted by templates911
    Is paying $299/year for getting listed in the yahoo directory worth it?

I dont think a listing is worth that much money. Well unless it brings 1000's a day.
    Well even if it brought in 2 dollars a day it would represent a 200% return on your investment..

I get a fair amount of secondary searches from Yahoo via Google, I can only imagine being in their directory would generate a good amount of new traffic but to pay 500 bucks Canadian on a hobby site makes no sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google does not place more importance on a link from yahoo than any other incoming link, however, being in yahoo does help. A good listing can bring in hundreds of visits a day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends - if one sale pays for your yearly Yahoo entrance fee it's a no-brainer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Archbob
    Google does not place more importance on a link from yahoo than any other incoming link, however, being in yahoo does help. A good listing can bring in hundreds of visits a day.
    How do you know this to be true? Being that they are partners I would be surprised if being in the Yahoo index doesn't benefit you more than a link in a FFA or even a relevant competitor.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't Japhi.

How much a link helps is determined only by the page it is on. Obviously Yahoo pages will carry more weight than Joe's FFA. However this is not because of the Yahoo name. Its purely mathematical, there are no exceptions.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you search google, you will find many pages in the top listings for a keyword that are not in yahoo or dmoz.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing with Yahoo is this. For hobby sites you don't have to pay the $299.

If you are running a commercial site, a listing in Yahoo (or any directory/search engine) will be as successful as your site makes it.

So if you have a site that is a nightmare to navigate, then the return on the visitors that WILL be delivered via the entry in Yahoo (either directly or via a number of places that trust Yahoo editors to have edited a site and it they think it's good enough often others do too). If you think of it as $25 a month, if you can't generate $25 extra sales from the traffic, then you need to rethink your entire strategy. To me it's a no brainer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would pay the $299 if I was for sure to get listed.

They are too picky. I am afraid I will make some dumb mistake and wont get listed.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i havent paid for a listing on Yahoo, so I cant comment on whether or not they are worth it, but they certainly must have a massive marketing budget.
    I remember watching the world cup soccer matches which were watched by millions of people around the world, and seeing the Yahoo ads on the borders of the field.
    They also have a very large customer base with their groups, email, chat and messenger services.
    I really do think they should charge you ONLY if they consider your site worthy of inclusion. I think this would increase their number of submissions and revenue.
    Internet Business - Blog about starting an Internet Business.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes,

I'm not going to take the risk of them saying opps found one error. Now I just take your money. Thanks, Please submit again later.