User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This page crashes Netscape - Why?

I'm working on a redesign of my site, and I've encountered an issue with Netscape 4. When I access any page on the redesign of the site, Netscape crashes. Here's an example: http://www.computertim.com/betasite/business . If you try accessing this page in Netscape, Netscape will probably crash.

I'm clueless as to why this happens. I've tried removing all of the ad-serving elements of the page, and it still happens. I just don't know what is causing this.

If you have Netscape, any version, I'd appreciate it if you could try accessing http://www.computertim.com/betasite/business and let me know if the browser crashes. Let me know what version of Netscape you're using, and if you have any idea what is causing this.

(I hate Netscape )

I appreciate your help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NS 4.51:
    no crash, just horrible layout (no css support for input etc)
    no banner ad (iframe)

+ no black top bar,
    you must change
    <td width="100%" height="27" style="background-color:#000000</td>
    to
    <td width="100%" height="27" style="background-color:#000000">& nbsp;</td>

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by jofa
    NS 4.51:
    no crash, just horrible layout (no css support for input etc)
    no banner ad (iframe)

+ no black top bar,
    you must change
    <td width="100%" height="27" style="background-color:#000000</td>
    to
    <td width="100%" height="27" style="background-color:#000000">& nbsp;</td>
    Thanks for the help. I figured I'd have these design issues in Netscape. But as long as it doesn't crash, that's my main issue. But I'll be repairing these design problems within the next few days.

Thanks again!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it worth the effort, designing for NS4?
    (Are there people using this browser?...)

See attached image for a snapshot from Lynx 2.8.3
    (If someone really is using NS4, then Lynx is possible too)
    Attached Images Attached Images

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by jofa
    Is it worth the effort, designing for NS4?
    (Are there people using this browser?...)

See attached image for a snapshot from Lynx 2.8.3
    (If someone really is using NS4, then Lynx is possible too)
    No, I usually don't design with a goal of it looking perfect in NS4, but if its just some simple changes, I'll make them.

I'd never even think of designing for Lynx. It's just my thought that as an Internet user, if you want a site to look and run as it was intended to, get a better browser. I don't think that us, as web designers, should need to make sure that a site works in almost every version of the most popular browsers. I mean hey, if someone wants to use the Internet, they need to get with the times. There's really no excuse for someone to use NS4 when NS6 is available.

In other words, as long as the site is functional in most browsers, I really don't care what it looks like. (Provided it looks close to what the design is supposed to be.) I'd never create a site that works solely in one browser, but I'll make it at the very least, usable in most browsers.

Just my thoughts on the issue...

gingham dress, army boots... silver trophy redux's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by computertim
    I'd never even think of designing for Lynx. It's just my thought that as an Internet user, if you want a site to look and run as it was intended to, get a better browser. [...]
    I mean hey, if someone wants to use the Internet, they need to get with the times.
    not to sound argumentative, but one word: accessibility.
    and, if your sites are commercial, one more word: lawsuits.
    it doesn't take much to code to standards, and have pages that degrade gracefully. i'm not saying "code for NS4", just that properly formed pages will be accessible (i.e. the information and navigation will work every browser), even if the design/look might suffer.
    redux (adj.): brought back; returned. used postpositively
    [latin : re-, re- + dux, leader; see duke.]
    WaSP Accessibility Task Force Member
    splintered.co.uk | photographia.co.uk | redux.deviantart.com

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by redux

not to sound argumentative, but one word: accessibility.
    and, if your sites are commercial, one more word: lawsuits.
    it doesn't take much to code to standards, and have pages that degrade gracefully. i'm not saying "code for NS4", just that properly formed pages will be accessible (i.e. the information and navigation will work every browser), even if the design/look might suffer.
    I never said that I don't care about accessibility. Our sites are always designed to HTML standards, sometimes throwing in some IE-specific features. The sites are accessible in all major browsers, it's just that I don't plan on having the team sit here for hours on end making sure the design lines up pixel by pixel in every major browser version on the market. We always make sure our sites can be used in most browsers, and I don't want to confuse that with exact browser-to-browser functionality.

Additionally, our sites are commercial, and I'm not afraid of lawsuits related to a site's design. You can't always expect a site designed today, using today's technologies to work with someone using a 10 year old computer, running something like the first version of Netscape. It's not like I'm stopping your browser from accessing the site. The actual error-free HTML code is being delivered to your browser, but if your browser can't interpret it, then that's your problem. The code is error free, and making it accessible in every single browser on earth can never be 100% guaranteed. It's not like I'm limiting a certain browser's access to the site, like MSN.com did for a while.

As web designers, I'm sure we all want our sites to work in all browsers, but if a site is designed to standards, and an old version of a browser doesn't allow the page to be usable, it's not at all my fault.