SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi --

I create web pages with Front Page 2000 and I want to start installing some free cgi scripts into my pages. I know they say once you start to use FP 2000, NEVER FTP your pages (which is the way I would otherwise think to install such scripts, right??!?)

So my question is: How do I install a cgi script if I'm using FP 2000? Is there another way I should know about?

Thanks,
    Josh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Josh,

If you are on an NT machine and using FP extensions you will find that most of the CGI scripts will not work. If you are on a UNIX Machine or on an NT Machine that doesn't use FP extenions then you are simply ftp'ing.

As for the scripts you will need to FTP them over and manipulate them in program other than FP. Again check with your IHP and see what kind of machine you are hosted on before doing anything else.

[This message has been edited by jonese (edited January 25, 2000).]

exit();
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you need any help, I could walk you through the steps on installing CGI Scripts for you.

------------------
    Webmaster's Network
    The Ultimate Webmaster Resource Center

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ---Thanks for the reply---

Ok, I think I'm beginning to understand this! Yes, my server has FP extentions and I am using Front Page 2000.

Therefor, in order to install a cgi script into my cgi-bin, is this process (sort of) correct:

A) Download an FTP client, such as WS_FTP.
    B) Transfer/place the desired cgi script in to my cgi-bin via the FTP client.
    C) Upload the .htm page using FP 2000 (which makes reference to the cgi script I installed.)

Something like that??!

Thanks again,
    Josh

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joneses --

Thanks for your reply...

BUT I am still a bit confused at what you're saying. First you mentioned "FP extentions;" do you mean ".htm??" Also, I believe I'm on a Unix system, so how exactly would I install a cgi script (ie. from cgi-resources.com) into my cgi-bin if I'm using Front Page 2000 to create my web site initially? (Again, since they say once you use FP 2000, never upload using FTP, right??!)

Thanks,
    Josh

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't understand why you can't FTP your files once you use Frontpage. All an FTP program does is copy a file from one computer to another using a protocol available over TCP/IP. This is the same way Frontpage publishes your site. Since your HTML documents are simply text files no harm will come to your site if you FTP them to the server as long as all the pages exist. Also you can load those pages into a text editor besides Frontpage and edit them with no harm to your pages.

Frontpage doesn't do CGI as it is a HTML editor. You would FTP these programs and scripts into your CGI-BIN and change the permissions according to the installation directions. After that your pages would call those scripts using either links or SSI from your HTML pages.

The FP extensions that Jonese refered to are a form of CGI installed on some servers. These allow you to offer search, forums (like this one), form processing and other features to your site. Those features of Frontpage will not work without the extensions installed on the server.

------------------
    Wayne Luke

The Majormud Encyclopedia - www.bloodquest2.com
    Come Play one of the hottest games on the net.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fron Page keeps "images" of the files in a hidden directory (look for _vti_cnf), and in some cases a web server will kick a page as not available if the "image" and the actual file don't match... at least that's what I've been told.

As far as the term "Front Page Extentions", those are a specialized set of files that a server has to have in order to accomidate some of the fancier features of Frontpage, the built in counter, image replacement and substitution, banner ad manager, etc. They are also used for the e-mail features of IIS server software. If you're using FP Express, I don't know if these features are available. I use a couple of them.

Now then, I'm guessing either Javascript, Active X or VB Applets can be run in place of a CGI script to work with FP, is that correct?

Hatton

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes that is correct. Follow the directions carefully when uploading your CGI script. This will make sure that permissions are set correctly.

------------------
    Wayne Luke

The Majormud Encyclopedia - www.bloodquest2.com
    Come Play one of the hottest games on the net.