Unobtrusively zen silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Nivo Slider - a nice jquery slideshow

I've just recently come across Nivo Slider
    http://nivo.dev7studios.com/

It appears to provide a nice packaging on the whole javascript slider situation.

I'd like to hear from others about slideshows that are more effective or easier to get going than this one.

I wouldn't include jQuery Cycle though due to the amount of development required to achieve half of the features commonly expected from a slideshow.
    Programming Group Advisor
    Reference: JavaScript, Quirksmode Validate: HTML Validation, JSLint
    Car is to Carpet as Java is to JavaScript

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Ah! DT posted this on Facebook. It is really a very nice slider. I bookmarked it! Good find!
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

I meant that to happen silver trophybronze trophy Raffles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And the boundaries between what can be done by flash and by javascript are further blurred. That is very cool, especially the transition with the blocks.

The Mind's I ® silver trophy Dark Tranquility's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyflower View Post
    Ah! DT posted this on Facebook. It is really a very nice slider. I bookmarked it! Good find!
    Yeah and as I said there I really liked it! It is cool to use, and quite easy to integrate and customize... We are already planing to use for two projects we are on now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks cool. Has some great options in there.

Thanks for the link.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Javascript effects are really becoming pretty impressive lately. Man, that looks great.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The demo looks terrific in Opera 10.51. I've spent a lot of time trying out various jQuery sliders, and most of them have some serious caveats that prevent me from considering them. I'll give this one a whirl. Interestingly, the site doesn't claim that it works in IE6, but it works as well in that verdamnt browser as most other jQ sliders, even if it is a bit rocky.

Visible Ninja bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool - great find! I'm just rolling out a project where we have a large image slider on front and center on the home page. Time to see if I can get the client interested in some of these cool transitions!
    TAKE A WALK OUTSIDE YOUR MIND.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm currently redeveloping big sections of my personal website. I'm after a photography category, and was planning on having a big CU3ER at the top, but this has totally converted me!

I can't believe how less than 5 years ago, plenty of (but certainly not all) web developers wouldn't touch Javascript at all, yet now, it's near essential for any project at all!

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weird... it doesn't seem to work for me in FF3.6.2. Works great in Chrome, but in FF all I see is a sliver of the first image and it never changes.
    MySQL v5.1.58
    PHP v5.3.6

I meant that to happen silver trophybronze trophy Raffles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Working fine for me in FF3.6.2. Maybe an extension of yours is interfering?

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I saw this the other day and i'm very impressed.
    I'd be curious to use this on an upcoming project.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this script would be a great help in displaying images to your page. transition of images was so cool. . thanks for the link.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
    Working fine for me in FF3.6.2. Maybe an extension of yours is interfering?
    Weird, works great for me today. I wonder if I accidentally had JavaScript disabled? If I disable JS (using the web dev toolbar), I see the sliver of the image again.
    MySQL v5.1.58
    PHP v5.3.6

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is sick! on top of that it's extension to jQuery....pure awesomeness!

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's pretty neat what can be done with JavaScript, we've evolved so much as designers from replicating browser behaviour and cut-n-paste ugly scripts to powering JavaScript to actually render things and extend the usefulness of websites beyond anything any of us would have dreamed about before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is really awesome. No need of flash now!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is really impressive! I definitely plan on using it in the future.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice! I want to use this. But no ie6 support :/ I've started to realize how many clients are still running ie6, and how lame their site becomes when you have to compensate for it.
    ---
    Paul S. Smith
    technetic | design & code

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by technetic View Post
    Nice! I want to use this. But no ie6 support :/ I've started to realize how many clients are still running ie6, and how lame their site becomes when you have to compensate for it.
    Then use a lesser alternative for IE6. Users of IE6 can not expect to receive the same experience that is provided to more modern web browsers.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a simple way to show this to users of supported browsers, without having a page full of images one after another in IE6?

Some way to detect whether the browser supports it, and if not, hide all of the other images from the slideshow?
    Matthew Higgins
    My Blog

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    You could use conditional comments to load an alternative, such as jQuery Cycle

For example, IE7 upwards and all other web browsers will use Nivo, while IE6 and below use an alternative slideshow:

Code html4strict:
    <![if gte IE 7]>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="js/nivo-slideshow.js"></script>
    <![endif]>
    <!--[if lte IE 6]><script type="text/javascript" src="js/cycle-slideshow.js"></script>
    <![endif]-->

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pmw57 View Post
    Then use a lesser alternative for IE6. Users of IE6 can not expect to receive the same experience that is provided to more modern web browsers.
    very well put. However, if it was a client that was having the problem I wouldn't certainly suggest they upgrade their browser so they could see the site at its best.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find the Anything Slider by Chris Coyier is the most useful IE6 compliant slider:
    http://css-tricks.com/anythingslider-jquery-plugin/

It doesn't do the fancy transitions like this Nivo Slider, but I do find it's very flexible in what you can use it for.

Here's some of the options available with it:
    • Features
    • Slides are HTML Content (can be anything)
    • Next Slide / Previous Slide Arrows
    • Navigation tabs are built and added dynamically (any number of slides)
    • Optional custom function for formatting navigation text
    • Auto-playing (optional feature, can start playing or stopped)
    • Each slide has a hashtag (can link directly to specific slides)
    • Infinite/Continuous sliding (always slides in the direction you are going, even at “last” slide)
    • Multiple sliders allowable per-page (hashtags only work on first)
    • Pauses autoPlay on hover (option)
    • Link to specific slides from static text links

Code javascript:
    $('.anythingSlider').anythingSlider({
            easing: "swing",                // Anything other than "linear" or "swing" requires the easing plugin
            autoPlay: true,                 // This turns off the entire FUNCTIONALY, not just if it starts running or not
            startStopped: false,            // If autoPlay is on, this can force it to start stopped
            delay: 3000,                    // How long between slide transitions in AutoPlay mode
            animationTime: 600,             // How long the slide transition takes
            hashTags: true,                 // Should links change the hashtag in the URL?
            buildNavigation: true,          // If true, builds and list of anchor links to link to each slide
            pauseOnHover: true,             // If true, and autoPlay is enabled, the show will pause on hover
            startText: "Start",             // Start text
            stopText: "Stop",               // Stop text
            navigationFormatter: null       // Details at the top of the file on this use (advanced use)
    });

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I ran into some trouble installing and configuring this script to work correctly. I am an experienced web designer who actually has a fairly decent grasp on basic programming (enough to put most things in place and understand basic concepts) but when I contacted the developer (******* *********) with a couple of very simple questions that would help me get over a couple of speed bumps I'd run into, and despite the fact that Mr. ********* encourages people to contact him if they need help or have questions, he was 100&#37; unwilling to even make an effort to answer even one of my questions or to help me in any way! He actually suggested that the only alternative was that I hire a programmer to install his script on my site? Really? If he had taken the time it took him to reply as he did to just answer my questions, there would be no need for that, because I would be able to do it myself. Also, because not every designer out there can afford to hire a programmer!

I wish there was a way to encourage better support for open source scripts/software. I have learned that "Free" = "No support" sadly. Over the years, in order to build my business, I have learned how to do SO much, so I know I am as an intelligent person, more than capable. If I do get stuck, usually all it takes to get unstuck is a more delineated and clear instruction that makes sense with an extra added bit of info or explanation of a step in the process will make all the difference between using it or walking away in disgust and frustration. (As in this case with the Nivo Slider, which is exactly what has happened). I felt that my intelligence was insulted and I was brushed aside.

I get so tired of 'developers' who have this uppity attitude, talking down to designers and treating us as if we are a bunch of airheaded artistic types with our head in the clouds. Actually - if we want to be a successful web designer, we need to know how to do quite a bit of basic programming in order to build competitive websites. Please, do not underestimate web designers. We may just need to have things explained better, meaning so that it makes sense from "this side of the machine" (the user side) rather than just from the developer's viewpoint "from the back of the machine".

Apparently, Mr. ********* develops scripts meant only to be utilized by other developers, rather than real-life end users (aka designers).
    Last edited by Mittineague; Apr 9, 2010 at 11:36. Reason: removing name references