SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UBB (cgi) vs phpBB (php) .. what works better?

Ok..I've been using UBB since PostY2K and have used from 5.4 - 6.1 currently. I'm about to upgrade to UBB 6.3 since the search engine don't work so well.

But I've just had developed a php classified sytem for advertising horses for sale online. It has photos and video ads. But the registration is separate from the UBB system..one is php & the other cgi.

Now I also have a cgi based link engine and merchandise shopping cart in cgi As well. But I've been thinking about including a NEWs ection where people from around the world put in press releases for their countries.

So I need to bring this all together hopefully under one registration. So I'm thinking I need to go from cgi to php and convert my UBB 6 to phpBB 2...then I see a path to create phpBB portal for PHPNuke.

UBB vs phpBB? What is the perfomance differences? Now I'd also like to hear from those with experience with converting from UBB to phpBB and how that went. How did the server perfomance change..good bad?

phpNuke versus postNuke? what IS the difference?

I'd like to hear from folks on how they integrated phpBB with PHPNuke. Does the registration engine of the BB lock inwith the registration (replace) the registration engine on phpNuke?

How hard would it be to create a module in a portalX to tie in my classified software? I coud have the scripts look into the portal registration for permissions correct?

http://www.ultimatedressage.com
    http://class.ultimatedressage.com (still working the kinks out)

Time to bring this all together into one ULTIMATE equestrian site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go with phpBB/Invision Board/vBulletin. Any PHP/mySQL based system will always greatly outperform UBB's antiquated flatfile storage system.

The differences between phpNuke and postNuke are minimal in terms of the interface, but the code backend of postNuke has been almost 100% re-written and is generally cleaner, faster, more optimised and more secure than phpNuke
    THE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW ARE OLD AND MAY BE INACCURATE.
    THIS INSTALL METHOD IS NOT RECOMMENDED, IT MAY RUN
    OVER YOUR DOG. <-- MediaWiki installation guide

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Phil is right -- but my question is if you're already paying for UBB, why not migrate to vBulletin, instead? It seems more logical to go from one commercial package to another -- just that vB is less expensive than UBB.

Leaving UBB would not only give you speed improvements, but it would likely reduce bandwith usage. SitePoint used to run on UBB but it kept breaking down with high traffic. Notice how Infopop says "optimized for under 50 concurrent users" by UBB's description? Heh, the only product suitable for that they make is OpenTopic, which of course is remotely-hosted and much more expensive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I'd have to reccomend phpBB2, there is a UBB converter available and its certainly worth a try before paying money for VB. phpBB's pace of development seems to pick up constantly so you won't miss the few extra features in VB.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UBB to phpBB

I actually spent a week back in July tracking down someone who started work on a UBB converter that didn't work on my UBB version, and after another week we got it to work. So now I'm completely converted from UBB 6.1.x to phpBB 2.0.1 with minimal "loss" in the conversion. And I had a substantial sized BB to convert.

Biggest improvement..memory reqs! I went from about 500 MB of flat file storage to 80 MB of MySQL storage.

Next improvement..speed!

You can view my beast at www.ultimatedressage.com

Then I implimented a php/MySQL based classified script that feeds off of the phpBB (custom script done by developer), and then using sitepoint's tutorial I'll figure out the rest! The developer is making an add-on for phpBB if you wish to add classifieds in the manner I did..except it won't have the commercial side of it or video/photo upload I believe.I paid $$$ for that!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah the UBB converter was about the trickiest, but I think its just about fine now. I hope you didn't pay too much for the add-on, we have a fine range of mods available, although probably not what you were after. Um.. well I'm not sure about this commercial mod though. Its OK to do custom work for someone (I have done myself), but any release surely has to be under the GPL?