User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BG and text color combinations

Hi All,

I was wondering if there is some sort of a guide of what text color is preferable for certain backgrounds?
    I did search this forum, and found couple threads, but that's not exactly what I need.
    It's sort of tiring testing endless color schemes. May be there's something
    Have Fun,
    Gator
    zknives.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    any colour combination that has a high level of contrast, black and white are extremes in terms of contrast.

if you are using 2 colour then the amount of contrast will lessen depending on the brightness of both colours, use 1 light and 1 dark, such as light green text on a dark blue background ...that would probably be ugly but it will keep a high level of contrast and make it easyer to read.

As for colours to use, it really depends on the colour scheme your site is using.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. It is essential to make your site easy on the eyes and very readable. Dark colors, such as black or dark blue, etc. are usually preferred text colors while lighter colors are usually the standard for backgrounds. This is not always the case, but it definitely helps ensure that your site is readable. I would suggest that you check out some of the sites featured on CoolHomepages so that you can get a nice variety of some great text/background color combinations. There are so many that look good that I can't recommend them all to you.

Hope this helps!

Jason
    Jason Bradley
    Post your project and receive FREE bids from professionals!
    naSnap Freelance Marketplace

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't always go for the highest level of contrast though, for instance if you have a very dark background like black you should use a very light grey text rather then white, as the white tends to look too bright on a black background, whilst the light grey takes the edge off and is less harsh on the eye.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by neil100
    Don't always go for the highest level of contrast though, for instance if you have a very dark background like black you should use a very light grey text rather then white, as the white tends to look too bright on a black background, whilst the light grey takes the edge off and is less harsh on the eye.
    Yeah, I agree. It's better to go for something that you know is easy on the eyes than just something that has the most contrast. Nice point.

Jason
    Jason Bradley

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the BG on my site is rather dark gray. I don't like really bright text, as it's not very convenient to read, small fon, lots of text... The best I've come up so far was gray, #ccc and light yellow, something liek #ddc, or even #eec.
    When the majority of the page is text it's quite differnt vs. few words in large font.
    I thought may be there was some recommended bg/fg combo list out there For black or dark gray, ok will use white/light gray, but for other bgs... Like blue bg, then what, yellow? White? Too light IMHO... Gray again?
    Have Fun,
    Gator
    zknives.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recommend posting your site for review in the Website Reviews forum. That way, you can get a lot of helpful suggestions on which colors look best, etc.

Jason
    Jason Bradley

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did That's why I'm trying to redesign the color scheme(s)...
    Have Fun,
    Gator
    zknives.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The idea is called "complementary colors" in the art world. There's such a thing called the color wheel which shows which colors are completmentary to which colors. You look for your color on one end of the wheel and find its complementary on the opposite end.

You'll find many "color wheels" on the web by doing a simple search on google. Ask any artist about "complementary colors" and they'll go into more detail for you, including "split compltementary" Have fun.
    The Internet is prettier on a Mac.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Give this a try Color Wizard. You enter a hex color and it will give you the Triad colors, Complementary color, Analogous, Split complementary, Tint and shade, Chromatic variations, and Chromatic variations of that color. It has been very useful to me.
    Apathetic Activist.
    reames.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by rreames
    Give this a try Color Wizard.
    Try it.. it sure is uselful for comp and other colors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been having a problem with colors also.

So what I did was go to a Home Depot and pick up every one of those little color chip recommendations that they had. You know the ones like Glidden (a paint company) Evermore (each company will make several quality products and this is one) Wall, Trim and Ceiling color combinations.

I then backed up and got a copy of the netscape named colors and tried to get a close match.

And it seems to work.

I have a long way to go but this has been a good start for me.