User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    Doesn't make sense for Microsoft to develop for XP anymore. By the time IE9 adoption is getting started XP will be out of even the extended support phase. Apple doesn't make software for OS 9 anymore.
    OS9 vs OSX is not XP vs Vista or 7.
    OS9 vs OSX is more like windows 98 vs 2000.
    Anyway I upgraded from Vista to XP (yes, upgraded), and I havent tried 7 yet. My bad experience with Vista discouraged me a bit. I'm happy with XP loaded with all my software.
    Not everyone are early adopters. It is also a trend in the business world to stay on old systems until an upgrade is really necessary.

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
    And I see a lot of businesses just rushing into it, as history tell them to be 100% confident in Microsoft products. Never mind 95, 98, ME, Vista. Oh, and IE6.
    Businesses rarely rush into upgrading their operating systems, why do you think so many people still use IE6? Because they are surfing at work.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope they will make it work with Windows XP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I will not use IE just because they have a new version! Firefox For Ever!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nacworld View Post
    Well I will not use IE just because they have a new version! Firefox For Ever!
    Another anti-microsoft fanboy. Oh, i'm sorry, Micro$oft.

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dacoda View Post
    I hope they will make it work with Windows XP.
    Seeing as XP won't even be supported by the time this comes out it's highly unlikely.

I hope they support Windows 3.1 myself.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really hope Windows 3.1 gets supported as well

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SiberianHuskey View Post
    I really hope Windows 3.1 gets supported as well
    I really hope it will be platform independent!

In fact, let's make a poll!

Nah, forget it, Shakespeare's right: too much noise for nothin'! They tease us but don't get serious where it matters.

How about security issues for this new IE? I'd like more input on that.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really hope it will be platform independent!
    And available as a Live Boot CD.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tke71709 View Post
    I hope they support Windows 3.1 myself.
    Me too, I miss that OS, life was much simpler with the program manager rather than having a desktop, taskbar, start menu, system tray and every other form of navigation in existence. I used to use plug-in for Windows and back-menu to max my 3.1 system with tonnes of useful additional features

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
    Finally, support for addEventListener. About bloody time! I hope it means they'll ditch attachEvent entirely as well.

Interesting that they're adding support for proper application/xhtml+xml, didn't see that coming.

Fantastic news concerning #1, and a loud head-scratcher regarding #2. Why support XHTML now? Makes no sense to me. I mean good for those app developers who have hard-coded XML syntax into their core and brought those of us who wanted to use proper HTML 4.01 to frustration..., but otherwise?

Well, Microsoft is always good for surprises.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reading out on the web, http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03...r_9_questions/, and plenty other places, one conclusion begun raising it's ugly head: Microsoft IE9 will not comply with standards. Again, they are doing things their way.

Yeah, they lie: IE9 & HTML5 in the same sentence and we all begin to believe compliance to standards.

I believe not. They have Silverlight to defend - so no HTML5 video embrace, use Direct2D features available in Windows OS - don't like Canvas that much, do they. Yeah, I believe they plan another IE6.

They seek to impose their will on the constant-movement-towards-standards set off by other rival browsers, giving developers toys to forget essentials:
    What this means is that Internet Explorer will not deliver on the “same markup everywhere” dream - at least until XP is obsolete. Bearing in mind that some new machines still ship with Windows XP today, developers face a long wait.
    They leverage on the dominance of the market share, but that might just became their emperor clothes. It doesn't matter how much money you have, if you don't sell easy universal solutions, as they used to, you can't buy that back.

They already have their share of bad press. Going away from mainstream doesn't help much, unless you believe you can take the world alone.

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Microsoft IE9 will not comply with standards. Again, they are doing things their way.
    I do not follow you, how do you follow a standard that is not a standard? What are they doing that goes against the current unfinished HTML5 spec? You also can have both Silverlight/Flash and HTML5 support, I don't recall there being a clause in the HTML5 spec saying you cannot. So what exactly are you on about? And what does the use of Direct2D have to do with anything?
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But exactly what parts of HTML5 will the company support? And what will happen when changes are made as the standard evolves? Hachamovitch tends to avoid straight answers
    and
    “Building a modern browser requires a modern operating system,” he says. “There are facilities in Windows Vista and Windows 7 around security, for example the integrity-level work that gave us protected mode. There are performance improvements, there is graphics infrastructure to take advantage of the GPU, that doesn’t exist in previous operating systems.”
    Hachamovitch plays a game with the press when he is quizzed about specific HTML5 features that are not in the current IE9 preview. What about the Canvas element? “All the graphics that run in IE9 are GPU-powered, they are hardware accelerated. We said there’ll be updates to the preview and we’ll see what else is coming in the next preview.” So that’s a maybe.
    What about video codecs, a contentious issue which has left the Video tag without any officially standardized codec? “For IE9, the demonstration that we gave involved the H.264 codec, which is a great industry standard for video, and we will support the H.264 codec.” says Hachamovitch. Other codecs, like the open source Ogg Theora? He says nothing, but the signs are not good. He even adds, “If I made a list of all the things for the HTML5 spec to do next, it’s not clear that the HTML5 video codec would be near the top.”
    and
    Another question that Hachamovitch is frequently asked concerns Silverlight. Does the overlap between HTML5 and Silverlight, for features such as video and animation, imply that Microsoft might eventually move away from the plug-in approach?
    I believe this sums it up, don't you?
    He positions Microsoft as pragmatic. “The end, that we’re all trying to get to, is that developers can use the same markup everywhere. There are a variety of means of getting there. I talked about using data to find what developers are actually using to make that work.”
    Ideally
    HTML Code:
    same markup everywhere
    duh!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe this sums it up, don't you?
    No, it does not.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have split the posts about Windows XP into their own thread:
    http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=665689

If you want to discuss that topic, please continue there, but remember to keep the debate civil and not take things personally.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @logic_earth

So will not IE9.

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to offend you, and I respect your title and position here, at SitePoint.

IE6, and 7, and 8, however good, still require own personal code to behave.

You believe IE9 will bring salvation. I see it it doesn't.
    HTML Code:
    <!--if IE...>
    just got bigger.

Others browsers don't rely for their features, on a 16GB+ free HDD, 2GB RAM OS, to run properly.

They (other browsers, of course) achieve more with less. This is good for everybody.
    Peace out.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You believe IE9 will bring salvation.
    I don't recall saying anything about believing IE9 to bring salvation. But it is pointless to talk to you. So whatever.

I'm looking for facts, not biased opinions.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by logic_earth View Post
    I'm looking for facts, not biased opinions.
    If I have an opinion, it's prone to be biased, don't you think?

I'll stop here with my personal opinions on IE9.
    Sorry if I get a little to caught up.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am firefox lover, but I must admit I am excited on this version LOL!
    thanks for the heads up!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I use chrome, opera and firefox and I would never even consider using IE, but maybe this new IE9 will change that, who knows? Sadly I doubt that IE9 will make life easier for webdevelopers like me, but maybe someone know something I dont?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The new font rendering in IE9 is pretty nice, I hope it becomes the standard on Windows. Direct2D I believe it is using.

http://twitpic.com/1aoqui/full

I solve practical problems. bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not likely. Direct 2D is part of the DirectX library which is MS proprietary. While the MS versions of Safari, Chrome, and Firefox can certainly use it, it would cause a significant rift between them and their counterparts in other OS'es (a problem MS doesn't have to concern itself with). Each of these may employ OpenGL, but I don't know if there's a part of OpenGL that equivocates to Direct 2D since OpenGL is meant for 3D graphics.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On Windows Vista and 7, when using aero or having DWM (Desktop Window Manager) on; DirectX is already being used to build the actual windows. So in a way they are using DirectX indirectly. In reality it is merely an API call the same already done for GDI, which Firefox already does. However, my interest of making Direct2D the standard for font rendering is not limited to just browser.

Edit: I just learned Firefox 3.7 will in fact use Direct2D along with DirectWrite. Or so rumored anyways.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct2D#Uses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can only imagine this whole Vista+ OS thing is going to create a nightmare for development testing. I doubt they'd lose much market share from the general public for not supporting non-windows OSs, but I bet most of those who do have IE on Mac (or other platform) are developers and only have it for testing purposes.