SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moderate articles but not comments (Wordpress)

Hello, could someone please tell me how I would go about changing the configuration of wordpress so that I can ensure articles are moderated but not comments?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Visitors to your blog cannot write posts or pages, so there is nothing to moderate.

If you create a user so that someone can access your wp-admin and create posts, then give them a contributor role instead of author or admin. Contributors can write and edit posts but not publish them. They'll be drafts waiting for you to publish.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Articles will need moderating to ensure that registered users (who will all be able to publish articles) are not posting anything inappropriate/illegal.

Where do I access the controls for user levels and stuff?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Under "Users" in your wp-admin

There is no such thing as article moderation, because the same thing is achieved by not giving people the ability to publish their posts

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you set the default user level for someone when they register, to something other than a subscriber or whatever? I just checked the user panel and it is somewhat primitive.

If you can moderate comments, receive an email that someone has left one and then approve/delete that comment, then the same should be possible for articles/posts.

The idea is that having registered, anyone has the ability to post items, in the same way as freecycle.org.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WordPress is a blogging platform, not a classified ads script, so there's a whole different set of assumptions about user roles.

The default user role is set under Settings > General.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This seems to be half resolved at the moment, using the Role Scoper and Adminimize plugins and setting the default user role to Contributer.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having just read some of your recent posts here SD, sounds to me like you're using the wrong tool for the job.

Wordpress is great if you want to have a blog or more traditional website with regular pages and such, but when you're talking about posting items and articles and letting users write blog posts, I think you'll drive yourself crazy trying to figure all that out in wordpress.

There are a few classified themes for wordpress that may let you do some of what you want, but a regular classifieds script or even a forum script sounds like a better solution for what you're trying to accomplish.

Steve
    Web Designer or Small Business Owner?
    Need More Leads and More Clients?
    Get Free Marketing Tips, Tricks and Ideas Here!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Steve,

whilst I understand what you are saying, I have spent a long time getting accustomed to wordpress and do love it! I am using a theme which helps me get a step closer to what I require, I just need some help with additional features but I think that it can be done.