SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 141
  1. #26
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    174
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are only frightening your self. Just believe in God.

  2. #27
    SitePoint Member Vrindavan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Internet
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  3. #28
    Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    UK Nr Manchester
    Posts
    3,460
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No I don't believe in anything like that, simply because there's no credible evidence. Someone told me recently that studies have shown that the likelyhood of a belief in the supernatural is inversely proportional to IQ. He then followed that with 'but don't say that to your nurse'.... sound advice I think.

    I have a few questions about ghosts:

    1. What do they do when they're not haunting us?

    2. Do they think?

    3. If they can walk through walls and ordinary matter is therefore transparent to them what keeps them from dropping through the earth or getting left behind as we zip through space at 70k mph?

    4. On a similar note, what keeps them walking exactly on the surface, why not a foot below it or 3 feet above it, or 300 yards under it?

    5. What are they made of, everything can be measured, are they energy? They must be since everything is, so what kind of energy are they?

    6. Why do big groups of people never see them?

    7. If they're real how come we don't just see them as a matter of day to day living, like crows or badgers or clouds?

    8. There must be millions of them, how come they're seen so infrequently and always by one or two people in a scary context?

    9. Why don't animals have ghosts?

    etc etc

    Mitt, that mist in yor photo is most probably your breath, you did say it was a chilly night.
    It's 530 people, but do you really get it?
    ImgWebDesign - Web design in Buxton, High Peak, Derbyshire UK.

  4. #29
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    93
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not believe but i always fear

  5. #30
    King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    5,840
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JJMcClure View Post
    No I don't believe in anything like that, simply because there's no credible evidence. Someone told me recently that studies have shown that the likelyhood of a belief in the supernatural is inversely proportional to IQ.
    The studies in question that he is discussing resolve around belief in God and religion and IQ.

    People with high IQs tend to want to see more proof, as it's impossible to prove the existence of God it would thus make sense that they would be less likely to believe in God.

    1. What do they do when they're not haunting us?
    Who says they are haunting us?

    2. Do they think?
    That would depend on whether you're looking at an intelligent haunting or a residual would it not?

    3. If they can walk through walls and ordinary matter is therefore transparent to them what keeps them from dropping through the earth or getting left behind as we zip through space at 70k mph?
    No scientific thoughts as to this, but I wonder why we're not all getting whiplash as we zip through space at 70k mph?

    4. On a similar note, what keeps them walking exactly on the surface, why not a foot below it or 3 feet above it, or 300 yards under it?
    Many residual type hauntings have exactly this sort of thing occurring, Spirits half in floors that were moved a few feet up during a reno and the such. Same reason that people will sometimes see spirits walk through walls where there once was a door.

    5. What are they made of, everything can be measured, are they energy? They must be since everything is, so what kind of energy are they?
    The general consensus on the topic would be energy, EMF meters have been known to detect anomalous energy readings that have the ability to move around a room, and have also been used to ask questions of spirits and seemingly get responses to those questions.

    6. Why do big groups of people never see them?
    Big groups of people have never seen spirits? Says who?

    7. If they're real how come we don't just see them as a matter of day to day living, like crows or badgers or clouds?
    Crows, badgers and clouds are physical entities that exist on our plane of existence. Spirits on the other hand are energy. How many times a day do you see electricity and radio waves, do those not exist because they can't be seen by the human eye?

    8. There must be millions of them, how come they're seen so infrequently and always by one or two people in a scary context?
    A) If one accepts general religious dogma, then spirits would have the option to "pass over" to another plane of existence, most spirits would choose to do so (can you imagine spending eternity essentially alone?) so only a very small percentage would choose to stay. Of those who choose to stay an even smaller percentage would be strong enough to manifest themselves in any visible way.

    B) You watch too many movies, most spirits are not seen in a scary context. One could argue that spirits are more likely to manifest at night, which may be true, and that nighttime is scarier than daytime, but that doesn't mean that they are manifesting at night because it's scarier.

    9. Why don't animals have ghosts?
    Who says that they don't? If an animal did have a ghost, would it not make sense that it would not actively attempt to communicate or manifest itself to us based solely on it's lack of higher brain functions?

    Have I ever personally seen a ghost? No
    Have I ever experienced a strange psychic phenomenon? Yes

    Therefore I choose to keep my options open on those topics.

    I'd recommend that you go to Youtube and watch some GhostHunters episodes, they catch some crazy stuff on video and audio tape but what I like best is the number of times they don't catch anything, they don't feel the need for every investigation to be successful and I get nervous about shows where they always find stuff.

  6. #31
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy conradical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    2,354
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tke71709 View Post
    The studies in question that he is discussing resolve around belief in God and religion and IQ.

    People with high IQs tend to want to see more proof, as it's impossible to prove the existence of God it would thus make sense that they would be less likely to believe in God.
    Are you saying that people who believe in God are likely to have a lower IQ?

    I am joking.. lets not move this thread towards God and Politics and have it closed.

  7. #32
    Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    4,248
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't believe in ghosts merely because I have a problem believing in general. The known seems so much more interesting than the unknown. Even the known has plenty of unbelievable stuff (pun intended).
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble



  8. #33
    Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    4,248
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirky47 View Post
    You are only frightening your self. Just believe in God.

    OK then. Sounds convincing enough to me.

    I'll try.

    Perhaps tomorrow.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble



  9. #34
    King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    5,840
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kohoutek View Post
    OK then. Sounds convincing enough to me.

    I'll try.

    Perhaps tomorrow.
    http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=664647

  10. #35
    Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    4,248
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I know. I'm hopeless.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble



  11. #36
    Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    UK Nr Manchester
    Posts
    3,460
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tke71709 View Post
    The studies in question that he is discussing resolve around belief in God and religion and IQ.

    People with high IQs tend to want to see more proof, as it's impossible to prove the existence of God it would thus make sense that they would be less likely to believe in God.
    No mate, that's a set of studies which I wouldn't have brought up because discussing religion is against SP ToS.

    As for my friend, I think he was joking.


    Quote Originally Posted by tke71709 View Post
    Who says they are haunting us?
    Wandering aimlessly, kiling time, haunting us, picking their ethereal noses..... whatever you want to call it. What are they doing when they're not doing it visibly?

    Quote Originally Posted by tke71709 View Post
    That would depend on whether you're looking at an intelligent haunting or a residual would it not?
    "an intelligent haunting or a residual" ? your categorising hauntings? That's like arguing whether the tooth fairie's wings are green or blue to me.

    Quote Originally Posted by tke71709 View Post
    No scientific thoughts as to this, but I wonder why we're not all getting whiplash as we zip through space at 70k mph?
    We would if the planet accelerated from 0mph to 70,000mph suddenly, we'd probably burn up as we were flung through the atmosphere at 70,000mph, lucklily that's not what's going on. We evolved on a planet already travelling at that speed.

    I really hope that was a joke.

    Quote Originally Posted by tke71709 View Post
    Many residual type hauntings have exactly this sort of thing occurring, Spirits half in floors that were moved a few feet up during a reno and the such. Same reason that people will sometimes see spirits walk through walls where there once was a door.
    The implications of this type of thinking are what give skeptics all the ammo they need to shoot down belief in the supernatural.

    Quote Originally Posted by tke71709 View Post
    The general consensus on the topic would be energy, EMF meters have been known to detect anomalous energy readings that have the ability to move around a room, and have also been used to ask questions of spirits and seemingly get responses to those questions.
    "EMF meters have been known to detect anomalous energy readings " that could happen anywhere at any time for any reason, it's hardly conclusive proof of anything is it.

    Quote Originally Posted by tke71709 View Post
    Big groups of people have never seen spirits? Says who?
    Says me, can't remember the last time a ghost wandered through a busy shopping center or across the pitch at a big football match.

    The point being that no one ever sees ghosts in an indisputable context, because they never will, becuae they're not real. Things that ARE real get seen in indisputable contexts all the time.

    Quote Originally Posted by tke71709 View Post
    Crows, badgers and clouds are physical entities that exist on our plane of existence. Spirits on the other hand are energy. How many times a day do you see electricity and radio waves, do those not exist because they can't be seen by the human eye?
    Spirits are energy are they? Where do they come from? Energy can't come from nothing.

    According to you I can't see electricity therefore I can't rule out the existence of ghosts. Honestly, I barely even know how to address that kind of fuzzy thinking. You're right, I can't see electricity but I can see and test and understand the effects it has, I understand it, I can feel it, quantify it, I can even create it. It's a totally understood, controllable, and proveable natural phenomenom and is about as suitable for use as an analogy to support the possible existence of ghosts as me saying that Ferraris can accelerate to 100mph in 3.2 seconds and therefore so could a smurf.

    Quote Originally Posted by tke71709 View Post
    A) If one accepts general religious dogma, then spirits would have the option to "pass over" to another plane of existence, most spirits would choose to do so (can you imagine spending eternity essentially alone?) so only a very small percentage would choose to stay. Of those who choose to stay an even smaller percentage would be strong enough to manifest themselves in any visible way.
    Pure speculation based on wishful thinking. I could make up some ridiculous unlikely theory to demonstrate how a complete lack of evidence doesn't stop people believing stuff like that but I can't be bothered.


    Quote Originally Posted by tke71709 View Post
    Who says that they don't? If an animal did have a ghost, would it not make sense that it would not actively attempt to communicate or manifest itself to us based solely on it's lack of higher brain functions?
    Who says they do? You want to apply all the rules for human ghosts to animal ghosts? Do they 'pass over' too then? Where do they go? Do they have a choice too? does this prove the existence of the soul?

    Once you start looking hard at this kind of logic it dissolves in a puff of unlikelyness.

    Quote Originally Posted by tke71709 View Post
    Have I ever experienced a strange psychic phenomenon? Yes
    Have you experienced something you can't explain and you're willing to consider something highly unlikely without any proof or evidence as the explanation? Yes.


    Quote Originally Posted by tke71709 View Post
    Therefore I choose to keep my options open on those topics.
    Is there a theory TOO ridiuclous for you to believe? Just curious, or do you keep an open mind about absolutely everything, like there being a teapot orbiting the earth?

    Quote Originally Posted by tke71709 View Post
    I'd recommend that you go to Youtube and watch some GhostHunters episodes, they catch some crazy stuff on video and audio tape but what I like best is the number of times they don't catch anything, they don't feel the need for every investigation to be successful and I get nervous about shows where they always find stuff.
    If I want to watch people taking advantage of the bereaved and gullible in a distastefull and immoral way (or worse, actually believing that they have some kind of power....) I will watch those programs, for now though I'll remain contemptuous of them.
    It's 530 people, but do you really get it?
    ImgWebDesign - Web design in Buxton, High Peak, Derbyshire UK.

  12. #37
    King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    5,840
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JJMcClure View Post

    As for my friend, I think he was joking.
    No, there are studies that show that.


    Wandering aimlessly, kiling time, haunting us, picking their ethereal noses..... whatever you want to call it. What are they doing when they're not doing it visibly?
    How the heck would I know?

    "an intelligent haunting or a residual" ? your categorising hauntings? That's like arguing whether the tooth fairie's wings are green or blue to me.
    Except there is video, audio and other measurable evidence of the above. Hauntings are categorizable.
    We would if the planet accelerated from 0mph to 70,000mph suddenly, we'd probably burn up as we were flung through the atmosphere at 70,000mph, lucklily that's not what's going on. We evolved on a planet already travelling at that speed.

    I really hope that was a joke.
    So your argument that spirits should be flung off into space is not applicable to humans even though the physics are the same?

    So one is ridiculous, but the other is factual?

    The implications of this type of thinking are what give skeptics all the ammo they need to shoot down belief in the supernatural.
    You asked a legitimate question, you got a legitimate answer. Just like spirits are sometimes seen walking up stairs that are no longer there.

    "EMF meters have been known to detect anomalous energy readings " that could happen anywhere at any time for any reason, it's hardly conclusive proof of anything is it.
    Yes, anomalous large localized spikes in energy near no discernible sources that move around are all over the place.

    Says me, can't remember the last time a ghost wandered through a busy shopping center or across the pitch at a big football match.
    1) Why would a ghost have any reason to frequent such a location?

    The point being that no one ever sees ghosts in an indisputable context, because they never will, becuae they're not real. Things that ARE real get seen in indisputable contexts all the time.
    There are plenty of photos out there that are fairly indisputable as far as people appearing in places that they were not when the photo was taken.

    Spirits are energy are they? Where do they come from? Energy can't come from nothing.
    I'm no physicist and I'm certainly not going to get into the religious aspects of this.

    According to you I can't see electricity therefore I can't rule out the existence of ghosts. Honestly, I barely even know how to address that kind of fuzzy thinking. You're right, I can't see electricity but I can see and test and understand the effects it has, I understand it, I can feel it, quantify it, I can even create it. It's a totally understood, controllable, and proveable natural phenomenom and is about as suitable for use as an analogy to support the possible existence of ghosts as me saying that Ferraris can accelerate to 100mph in 3.2 seconds and therefore so could a smurf.
    Your original statement was that we see clouds and the such so why don't we see spirits? If you want to clarify your statement now then bully for you, but it doesn't make my rebuttal any less accurate at the time.

    I agree it would be much more valid if spirits could be quantifiably proven.

    Who says they do? You want to apply all the rules for human ghosts to animal ghosts? Do they 'pass over' too then? Where do they go? Do they have a choice too? does this prove the existence of the soul?
    I'm not saying one or the other, I'm simply putting forth a theory as to why there would be no animal spirits of the same sort, I wasn't going to get into the soul thing because now we're getting into religion.

    Have you experienced something you can't explain and you're willing to consider something highly unlikely without any proof or evidence as the explanation? Yes.
    Picture this...

    Two people decide that they are going to try to communicate telepathically (for kicks, no one expects it to work). They agree upon a time and say that they will try to pass a message to the other and see what happens.

    The time comes and goes with no discernible effect, later that night one sees a flash of the other in his bedroom.

    The next day, the one asks the other if they got a message, the other says no but does mention that he got a strange flash of the other. Each of them is able to describe, in detail, where the other person was in the flash and the room that they were in even though neither of them had ever been to the other person's house.

    I would consider that proof of something strange happening. I'm not talking about how a "hey I should call Jim" RING! "Hello? OMG I was just going to call you!" That's a coincidence and easily explained away.

    Is there a theory TOO ridiuclous for you to believe? Just curious, or do you keep an open mind about absolutely everything, like there being a teapot orbiting the earth?
    Considering the amount of space junk surrounding our planet it wouldn't surprise me at all if a tea pot was orbiting the Earth.

    If I want to watch people taking advantage of the bereaved and gullible in a distastefull and immoral way (or worse, actually believing that they have some kind of power....) I will watch those programs, for now though I'll remain contemptuous of them.
    Talk about close minded, there are no bereaved people on this show and no one is taken advantage of. They are asked to come to various locations by people (homes and businesses) to investigate reports of activity. They do so purely through the use of equipment such as cameras, audio recorders, EMF meters, etc... At the end of the show they present the evidence (if any is found) after thoroughly attempting to debunk it. There are no mediums or psychics or the such involved in this and no money changes hands and they were doing this for a long time before they were offered the chance to do a TV show on it.

    Often times there is no evidence to report because they debunk all the claims. For example, one restaurant reported that they would leave for the night and they would return and the silverware on the tables would have mysteriously crossed over themselves to form Xs even though the building was locked and empty. They discovered that some of the silverware had somehow become magnetized and was causing that thereby debunking the claims.

    Another time they had some incredible video in the Queen Mary (if I remember correctly) that showed a sheet on a bed moving on it's own. After watching that for quite some time they determined based on examining the frames of the video that someone had snuck into the room, paused the video camera, hidden behind the bed and moved the sheet, it would have been much better TV to let it stand, but instead they debunked that video.

    Most of their evidence is audio, thermal, or EMF in nature, but they come up with the occasional cool video and the such.

    No harm in keeping an open mind, personally I make it a point not to insult the beliefs of others, but that's just me.

  13. #38
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy conradical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    2,354
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Animals don't have ghosts. Just imagine if a cat had a ghost. It has 9 lives.. it could potentially be scared of it's own 8 ghosts if it were on it's last life.

    And that is just trippy to be haunted by your ghost self.

  14. #39
    Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    8,111
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    JJMcClure, maybe animals go to limbo

    Quote Originally Posted by conradical View Post
    Animals don't have ghosts. Just imagine if a cat had a ghost. It has 9 lives.. it could potentially be scared of it's own 8 ghosts if it were on it's last life.
    Cats don't have 9 lives, try running one down with your car, it's not going to suddenly re-inflate itself and carry on as if nothing happened.

    Disclaimer: I do not endorse the killing of kittens!

  15. #40
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No definitely not! ha

  16. #41
    Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    UK Nr Manchester
    Posts
    3,460
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tke71709 View Post
    Except there is video, audio and other measurable evidence of the above. Hauntings are categorizable.
    Not really, there's a vague fuzzy wierd photos, videos and tape recordings etc none of which prove anything ata ll or we wouldn't be having this conversdation.


    Quote Originally Posted by tke71709 View Post
    So your argument that spirits should be flung off into space is not applicable to humans even though the physics are the same?
    You forgot that I only posed that question because ghosts can walk through walls. Since they apparantly don't interect with matter in the same way we do I'm wondering what keeps them on the earth.

    Quote Originally Posted by tke71709 View Post

    You asked a legitimate question, you got a legitimate answer. Just like spirits are sometimes seen walking up stairs that are no longer there.
    I didn't get a legitimate answer, I got what could at best be called speculation.

    Quote Originally Posted by tke71709 View Post

    There are plenty of photos out there that are fairly indisputable as far as people appearing in places that they were not when the photo was taken.
    'failry indisputable' - even while using the word indisputable you're qualifying it because you know that there is NO indisputable evidence to suport the existence of ghosts.


    Quote Originally Posted by tke71709 View Post
    I'm no physicist and I'm certainly not going to get into the religious aspects of this.
    Neither am I, I'm trying to get a logical response to the question 'what are ghosts made of'. It's questions like that one that pierce the fog of wishful, thinking that surrounds issues like this and get people thinking about it properly.


    Quote Originally Posted by tke71709 View Post
    Your original statement was that we see clouds and the such so why don't we see spirits?
    My point was that see things that are real, all the time. We consider them 'real' because of that and take them for granted. If ghosts were real, it would be the same for them, we'd see them all over the place and we'd take them for granted.


    Quote Originally Posted by tke71709 View Post

    I'm not saying one or the other, I'm simply putting forth a theory as to why there would be no animal spirits of the same sort, I wasn't going to get into the soul thing because now we're getting into religion.
    Unfortunately this does touch on religion because one reason animals wouldn't have ghosts is if they didn't have souls, but that would contradict the idea that ghosts are just 'energy'...hmmm conundrum


    Quote Originally Posted by tke71709 View Post


    I would consider that proof of something strange happening. I'm not talking about how a "hey I should call Jim" RING! "Hello? OMG I was just going to call you!" That's a coincidence and easily explained away.
    I would call it interesting and worthy of further study but real proof can be replicated and that would be the acid test for your scenario.




    Quote Originally Posted by tke71709 View Post


    Considering the amount of space junk surrounding our planet it wouldn't surprise me at all if a tea pot was orbiting the Earth.
    That's good because unless you can prove that there isn't one then we have to keep an open mind about it right?


    Quote Originally Posted by tke71709 View Post


    Talk about close minded, there are no bereaved people on this show
    Maybe not, I was lumping that program in with all the other psychic/medium type garbage that pollutes our airwaves.


    Quote Originally Posted by tke71709 View Post

    Often times there is no evidence to report because they debunk all the claims. For example, one restaurant reported that they would leave for the night and they would return and the silverware on the tables would have mysteriously crossed over themselves to form Xs even though the building was locked and empty. They discovered that some of the silverware had somehow become magnetized and was causing that thereby debunking the claims.
    This stuff cracks me up, a cup moves on a shelf and it's a ghosts trying to communicate wuth us....

    In their case, it's actually in their interests to occasionally debunk stuff, makes them look more credible.


    Quote Originally Posted by tke71709 View Post
    personally I make it a point not to insult the beliefs of others, but that's just me.
    Why not? I should respect someone just for having an opinion? What if the opinion is stupid. There's a prevailent attitude currently that we shouldn't attack other's view points, I'm not allowed to mention the source of this view point but ask yourself which organisations benefit most from not having their world view questioned?
    It's 530 people, but do you really get it?
    ImgWebDesign - Web design in Buxton, High Peak, Derbyshire UK.

  17. #42
    King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    5,840
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JJMcClure View Post
    I'm not allowed to mention the source of this view point but ask yourself which organisations benefit most from not having their world view questioned?
    Flippa?

  18. #43
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy mizwizzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,322
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is sooo spooky Matty - I was thinkin about posting a topic like this ages ago before I went on hols a week or so ago!

    My bf and I are similiar to how you described yourself and your partner in the sense that we both have the same interests and hobbies; one of these are ghost hunting! We have visited many places around Ireland and have yet to venture further than that We definitely believe in the paranormal and have pictures to prove it!

    Orbs and ghostly images are some of the evidence we have collected over time! We're going to get into some video ghost hunting in the summer, which should prove fun I've always been a skeptic but a recent visit a year or so ago to a Castle in Ireland that was featured on the programme Most Haunted (uk version) changed my mind big style! We got a tour of the castle with these 3 other "druids" who happened to want a tour also, so there was only 5 of us! Anyways, we were all going around taking pictures etc and there was this black cat that kept following us around, I cant stand cats the best of times and yet they always come over to me, ugh! Anyway, when we got back outside we took more pictures of the castle and the grounds etc, when we got back and put the pics on the computer we were astounded at what we found, we saw lots of orbs - like balls of light in places where there was no light coming in and alot around that freaky cat! But the icing on the cake was an image of a little girl standing at one of the windows looking out at us, very very weird considering a little girl fell to her death down one of the staircases in the castle! Ever since then I've had an open mind to this sort of thing and definitely believe in ghosts! I dont really care if anyone believes our pictures or our account of what happened but I sure as hell do and it freaks me out no end! I'm one of those ppl who needs to see it to believe it, so this was proof positive for me as they say on tv definitely a believer!

  19. #44
    King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    5,840
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Orbs in photos are generally just dust, I imagine a castle would be pretty dusty.

    Post the pic of the "girl"

  20. #45
    Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    UK Nr Manchester
    Posts
    3,460
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why is it that there are so many people who are willing to believe in things for which there's no credible evidence or can believe something because of something they saw but can't explain? So many people willing to fill the gaps in their knowledege or understanding with mumbo jumbo and superstition in the absence of actual knowledge.

    It's funny that I've been accused of not having an open mind, far from it. I'll stay skeptical but open minded until I'm provided with more proper evidence, not unsupported situationally dependent first hand accounts, photographic evidence that isn't obviously someone's breath on a chilly night in a new england graveyard or strange noises on a tape recording.

    I keep saying it, if ghosts were real we'd see them all the time just like we see things that ARE real all the time. What's the reason we don't see angels, the lock ness monster, sasquatch, yeti and numerous other legendary creatures all the time? Easy, they're not real.
    It's 530 people, but do you really get it?
    ImgWebDesign - Web design in Buxton, High Peak, Derbyshire UK.

  21. #46
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Crazybanana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    In tha fruit cellar
    Posts
    1,379
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    i can't say i believe in ghosts, but i believe there are people who believe in ghosts. I also believe that there are things that's harder to explain than other, and some things just can't be explained.

    a friend of mine, once came home from work, and on the way home (he walked) an old man comes up to the road from his house, and asks how it went on work this day. just like he used to do every day.

    when my friend came home his wife told him that the old man passed away the night before.

    The problem here is that my friend is a trustworthy man, who never lies or talks bs. so something must have happend that evening. the question is: what?

    i have a lot of stories, but no evidence, and of course questions, but i guess some things are not ment to be explained.

    a few years ago, i walked for hours to reach an abandoned village, and camped on the cemetary. i had a tent and a sleepingbag and was looking for some ancient russian graves from an old legend. the night was dark with a full moon and the stars was shining. i was sitting outside the tent drinking coffee, with a small fire, and the clock turned midnight... and 01, then 02, and 03 and i went to sleep and... nothing happened. nothing at all! it was so disappointing, because i've heard so many stories from that village.

    Did i expect something to happen ? no, i didn't
    Who's to doom when the judge himself is dragged before the bar


  22. #47
    King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    5,840
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JJMcClure View Post
    What's the reason we don't see angels, the lock ness monster, sasquatch, yeti and numerous other legendary creatures all the time? Easy, they're not real.
    OMG

    Are you suggesting that the Loch Ness Monster and Yetis aren't real?

    Them's fighting words!

  23. #48
    ✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,284
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JJMcClure View Post
    Why is it that there are so many people who are willing to believe in things for which there's no credible evidence or can believe something because of something they saw but can't explain? So many people willing to fill the gaps in their knowledege or understanding with mumbo jumbo and superstition in the absence of actual knowledge.
    Because they like it. They get an emotional "charge" out of it. It's like alcohol - fun when used in moderation, but poisons the mind if used in excess. Why do people get drunk? They're addicted.

    You can argue with them all day long, reason will not change a belief. Any arguments and appeal to logic is pointless.
    Saul

  24. #49
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy mizwizzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,322
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll pooch out the picture tke I know what ur saying about the orb stuff, but of all the places the orbs were it was around that cat, which happened to be running up and down the stairs like a lunatic, i.e the stairs where that little girl fell to her death...really bizarre to me - im not saying its a ghost or light anomaly/orbs, just not sure how to classify it but its just very odd that of all the places it appears it just so happens to be around the cat or on the stairs

    @JJ - I wasnt willing to believe in it until I saw something for myself, like i said I was skeptical - but when I saw that girl in the picture it really freaked me out, she wasn't there when we were standing infront of the castle, we were looking at the windows etc, we wouldve noticed it big time, it was just very odd and a weird feeling within that place fullstop, its my experience I guess and thats all, whether others believe it or not is not something that interests me

    As for the sasquatch/yeti/chupacabra, it is our intentions *my bf and I* to hunt for these in due course Seriously..we'll bring you a body for proof ok?

  25. #50
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Crazybanana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    In tha fruit cellar
    Posts
    1,379
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by php_daemon
    Why do people get drunk? They're addicted.
    so everyone who gets drunk is addicted now.. that's quite some statement i hope this is not your real opinion
    Who's to doom when the judge himself is dragged before the bar



Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •