User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my proposed business idea

Hi,

I am looking to start up a business doing website promotion. I am going to send this e-mail out to as many businesses as possible advertising my services:

Reg: Affordable S.M.E Web Marketing

I called today to introduce myself, as you were unavailable I was given your email address, I trust this is okay.

My name is Neil McLoughlin and I work for a company called Accurate Data Networks Ltd. Accurate Data Networks Ltd work with SME organisations, helping them to gain market awareness using the Internet.

As search engines become more sophisticated in delivering highly relevant results, they are increasingly reliant on the use of link popularity to determine your page relevancy and positioning. Basically the more people you have linking to your site, the more chance you have of gaining a top 10 position in the search engines. With 85% of internet users looking for business services through major search engines this is an opportunity is not to be missed.

Our service begins when we look through your Web site in detail. Then, based on your site content, keywords and intended audience, we seek out and find key link partners in your niche market.

Strategic linking delivers measurable results and gives your business massive bang for the buck. An increase in targeted site traffic is guaranteed. This will have an impact on your positioning in 19 of the top 20 search engines and directories.

We also optimise your web site for search engine promotion by looking at your content and key words. We will then target your website using these. Your website will then be submitted to the top 10 search engines like Google, Yahoo, MSN etc.

It is my intention to discuss this further, please do respond and I will act accordingly as I will not follow this mail up with a call.

What do you reckon?

Also where would I get most of my customers from? I have been looking at buying bulk e-mail lists. I have seen one service offering around 1000 addresses for $150.

Any other ideas?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I smell SPAM!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah. Unless they told you to email the details to them that would be considered Unsolicited Comercial Mail, AKA spam.

"Burn Spammers!" - anonymous

Rent A Cop Dan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: my proposed business idea

Personally if I recieved this type of email I would have the following problems:
    Originally posted by UKZNMCL
    I called today to introduce myself, as you were unavailable I was given your email address, I trust this is okay.
    This is fine and dandy but later in your post you say you were going to buy bulk email addresses. I don't like being lied to even in email, and I know who calls me (nifty little caller id). Maybe you should reword it so you aren't starting off your business-customer relationship with a lie???

It is my intention to discuss this further, please do respond and I will act accordingly as I will not follow this mail up with a call.
    This sounds weird... You say it is your intention to discuss this further but you aren't going to follow up? I would reword it so it doesn't make you sound like you are saying two different things. Do they need to know you aren't going to follow up with a call?

Also where would I get most of my customers from? I have been looking at buying bulk e-mail lists. I have seen one service offering around 1000 addresses for $150.
    I have never used a bulk email list so I might be off base... but I doubt it would lead to that many sales of your service. I think you would be better off going to individual sites and trying a real personalized approach to it. Maybe tackle local businesses first, or just browse for a day copying urls that you think your service would benifit.

Good Luck,
    Dan
    Dan's Site
    Some Current Sites:365 Puns! # Joke It! #
    Pride & Joy!
    Current Projects: ArcadeRat! # Scouting News # yW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pay for Ads

Why don't you just get some targeted advertisement instead?

SPAM is a bad start for a start up
    Thomas Oeser - Blueprint Software
    Web Scripting Editor v 5.2 One cool Web editing tool.
    3dcomputergraphics.com Coming Soon!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies.

As for the spam, these e-mail addresses are apparently opt-in addresses. Does this count?

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless they opted-in to receive mails from you its not opt in.

Also if spamming people is your best method of website promotion you shouldn't be trying to sell your services to others.

If I got that mailing I'd report it to your host or mailing provider and get your account shut down.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree Aspen, I get that sort of message often and it goes strait to spam cop. Bad idea IMHO. No offence meant but I would never let someone that spammed me promote my site. I just will not risk my company name on spam. Try Overture or adwords. Personally when I shop for web promotion service I dont consider anyone that is not reccommended by someone I consider to be an authority on the subject. Like in one of the newsletters I get on the subject, Dr. ebiz, Marketing Experiments Journal, wordbiz report and the like.
    Last edited by Shane M; Jul 5, 2002 at 14:08.
    Shane M

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure how those "we can get your site a top 10 listing" on search engine companies work. The point is alot of the biggest ones depend on reciprocal link more than anything else.

Yes, if I got a e-mail like this, I'd consider it spam.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO besides that your copy is long and sounds unprofessional, why would someone pay you to promote their web site if you can't properlly or legally promote your own site