SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there a maximum HTML length?

I have created a PHP/MySQL database driven glossary of IT terms. The database contains 323 entries from a-z. On the website only entries a-f are displayed in the browser (both IE5 and Mozilla). When I view the source code (which is a massive file) all 323 entries are present so many are being cut off.

It looks as if there is a maximum page length that a browser can cope with, or maybe a maximum size for a table? Can anyone confirm this is the case?

Any help appreciated

to see what I mean click here to see page

Sametch

Robert Wellock silver trophybronze trophy xhtmlcoder's Avatar
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually I believe its and error with your HTML code because on line 124 I think you had an unexpected </td> once removed I could see all your page offline.
    Last edited by xhtmlcoder; Jul 3, 2002 at 03:01.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep you are right it looks like some of the users have entered HTML tags into the form without escaping them.

I am fairly new to MySQL and PHP the page shown is updated by entering data into a form online, which then updates the page. A number of different people have access to the form and are entering all sorts of things. In the past most of my problems have been caused by use of exclamation marks and apostrophes this time the user has typed in tags.

Is there any way of dissallowing html tags, apostrophes, quotation marks etc. In the form to prevent these sort of problems?

Sametch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MS Access tables

I regularly export Access tables to HTML in excess of 5 megabytes. I can still open them in IE, NN and my in Web Editor for data manipulation.

I don't think there's a limit as such but at some stage any browser will stop responding (depending on your hardware and OS).
    Thomas Oeser - Blueprint Software
    Web Scripting Editor v 5.2 One cool Web editing tool.
    3dcomputergraphics.com Coming Soon!