SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can I release DOM script control of an element back to CSS ?

I have a CCS-driven drop-down menu (horizontal main menu, drop-down sub-menus). It works fine. Now I want to add a clickable link to one of the items in a sub-menu, to open a form elsewhere on the page. At the same time I want the submenu to disappear. I've achieved all that, but the submenu no longer appears when I hover over the top menu. I think this must be because the DOM script positioning is over-riding the CSS. I'm wondering if I can 'cancel' the DOM scripting and return control to the CSS ?

Here's the code which hides the sub-menu (which has ID of s9).
    Code:
    document.getElementById("s9").style.left ="-999px";
    The sub-menu disappears instantly (back to the position set by the CSS on page load). If I could follow this line with another releasing the DOM control, all would be well.

An alternative would be to move the mouse off the menu items, but I am told it's not possible to move the mouse-pointer with JS for security reasons.

I've looked at some 'onmouseover' and 'onmouseout' combinations, but they all over-ride the CSS, so the sub-menu is either permanently showing or permanently off screen.

The page can be seen at: http://www.holidaymullandiona.com. Hover on 'Places to Stay', then click 'SEARCH'. A search form duly opens, and the sub-menu disappears.
    BUT now the sub-menu fails to appear when you hover on 'Places to Stay'.
    Last edited by ramasaig; Mar 3, 2010 at 07:56. Reason: to add more explanation
    Tim Dawson
    Isle of Mull, Scotland

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can remove any inline styles, either in the html source or added with script,
    by setting the element.style.cssText='';

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you mrhoo. That's pretty simple, but really good to know. I've got several books on DOM scripting, but haven't seen it mentioned.
    I did find that having set the style via DOM to position the sub-menu off-screen I had to impose a timeout delay before cancelling, otherwise it came straight back ! 5ms gave inconsistent results, but 10ms is enough.
    Tim Dawson
    Isle of Mull, Scotland