Simple Question regarding semantics

Hi all, just have a questions regarding semantics.

If I have a section with categories and sub-categories, and when a user clicks to the subcatagories, there is a link at the top saying “go back to categories”, how is that correctly marked up.

Surely not:

<p><a href="#">go back to categories</a></p>

As it isn’t a paragrapg of text?
What should I use?

Many thanks

You need to explain your setup a bit more clearly. But it sounds like you want something like

<h3 id="category1">Category 1</h3>
<p><a href="#category1">Return to Category 1</a></p>

Sikwondo,

In theory you could just add the link using the anchor tag, but use CSS to set the anchor to display: block; which would give you the ability to mock the appearance without the additional paragraph. Though, I must admit that I would use a paragraph tag there anyway, despite it not being an entire paragraph. You could also consider using span, or something like that, but it’s relatively pointless to avoid the paragraph tag unless you plan to omit the wrapping tag altogether, as explained in the display:block anchor.

Now, since you are trying to use semantic code - I should mention that your list of categories should be just that - an unordered list (ul). That would be the semantic markup for a list of categories. Furthermore, a list of news articles or blog posts (which I assume is what your categories sort, just based on likelihood) should also be marked up as an unordered list.

Use this page as an example, noticing the markup for the 3 news articles and the “Read More” below it which is wrapped in a paragraph tag.

Thanks Alex, that makes a lot of sense :smiley:

Isn’t it? Capitalisation and punctuation aside, it looks like a perfectly good, albeit short, sentence to me. And a paragraph can be just one sentence.

I would mark it up as a paragraph.

I agree. I definitely neglected to make that clear in my post - and you are right. @Sikwondo: Heed his advice.

Before taking a paragraph to be solely a grammatical concept, consider that it is also a structural artifact. From Webster, “A brief composition complete in one typographical section […]”. The OP’s example certainly falls into that category.

Just to be redundant, :wink:

gary