SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well isn't that constructive critisizm! I am so sorry you don't like it. I have had positive responses to the changes that I have made so I will pay attention to those that are giving me sound and constructive advice! Hopefully you are not responding to others in this manner.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cgacfox View Post
    I can't get rid of the divs for those or they won't work.
    This just means, you aren't fit enough in CSS.

I like images to really make the site stand out.
    Yeah, outstanding #022529.

This may not be the best practice [...]
    Thats a waste of bandwith - nothing else. (See my last post - I don't talk about your fractal background-images at the header and content).

I can do more complex coding.
    Sure - most people can. IMHO complexity is the number one source of errors. Thats why most people try to avoid complexity. Maybe except Ben Olmsted. Minimalistic source-code doesn't has anything to do with minimalistic design.

...this is MY opinion
    Well, and that was mine.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cgafox, if you're looking for someone to stroke your ego, go elsewhere. You asked for critique.

I think my points are valid, the logo and background are common complaints people have addressed earlier in this thread.

Don't take it personally, you seem emotionally attached to your design. Don't be.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Feela - my bad...I had the incorrect images in the footer and nav. They should only be slices that repeat. I have corrected this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fading vision - I am not looking to have my ego stroked. The logo has changed from what I am currently using and have been using since 2005 when I created it It is currently not on any part of the site. Maybe if you are good at logos you can give me some ideas. I looked up "pants" and found out that it is British slang for sh*t! Telling someone that their site is sh*t is not constructive. Constructive is saying things like...the colors are too dark, try some lighter versions that go with the theme of the fractals (even if you don't like the fractals). The font used does not look good and is unreadable, try this font..., etc. Telling me that no one likes my design at all is just frustrating. I am trying to improve my skills and critique like that just tells me...give up you will never learn!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whether posting comments to qualify for a review of your website or not, lets keep the guidelines in mind please...thanks!

Tips and guidelines for giving helpful reviews:

- When reviewing another member's site, it can be helpful to give as much information as possible about the browser and configuration you are using to view that site. If you have more than one browser installed, why not check it in one of the others?

- The member would usually rather hear comments about particular aspects of his or her site, rather than general judgments of the website. It would be unhelpful to submit just a rating, without drawing attention to some of the factors which influenced your rating.

A comment such as "I do not like the color scheme" is not extensive enough and is not considered helpful to members.

- Consider looking at what other reviewers have said. If you feel that the reviews for somebody's site are quite thorough and helpful, you might consider reviewing a site that hasn't received as many helpful reviews.

When you want to submit your own site for review, it is very important that for each site you post, you've given other members at least three helpful reviews within the past 30 days. If your reviews have obviously been unhelpful or brief then you will need to give some more helpful reviews before your site is posted.
    Web Designer or Small Business Owner?
    Need More Leads and More Clients?
    Get Free Marketing Tips, Tricks and Ideas Here!

SitePoint Evangelist webfreebies's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, I remember this web site! Lots of improvement from when this thread first posted.

Things I like:
    1) Color scheme
    2) Looks more like a pro design site

Things I don't like

1) The 3D graphics are very cheesy, because they're very 1.0/ 1990s. I would drop them

2) It makes no sense to split every page into two boxes. Why not just have a main column and sidebar *or* just one column?

3) The nav buttons look amateurish to me-- one, because of the font and size; two, because you have some of them on two lines. Shrink down the font to have each link on one line only.
    Retro-Ads.net- vintage ads from the 20s-80s.
    NYC-Pics.com- free photos of NYC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hello! i like:
    - background,
    - fonts,
    - fox,
    - general layout,
    - easy navigation and clear structure.
    I dislike:
    background, fox and font don't suit together. the site doesn't seem balanced to me.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi!

Some people already made comments about the logo. To be honest the logo is not good enough if you are a (web)designer. I would not use clipart in my logo for example.

Regards,

Vuurvos

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as visual aesthetics are concerned, I think it could use some increased subtly and color refining. For example, to me, the brown tones seem too tyrannical. They're obtrusive, but on top of this, they're also too chaotic and inconsistent with their pattered approach. So one way you might try to change this is by using about 2 or 3 consistent colors but also shy away from your patterns, too. This would make things a bit more consistent and wholesome. As a little issue, too, you might try to work on your logo a bit more. Don't get me wrong, it's an okay logo, but I just see so much more potential than that--for example, I would work on the lettering a bit by maybe making it more radial or spherical as well as placing emphasis on maybe just the fox head (?)... Just something to think about.

With that aside, though, I actually like the site. It's simple, easy to navigate, and fairly unique. Once you get the color / pattern issue remedied (and maybe take care of some subordination issues), I think you'll have a pretty cool website.

Keep up the great work!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember seeing this site before - big improvement this time.

The site seems more structured. I still think you need to work on some of the 'polish'. One thing that jars with me right away is the font for thr logo etc. I don't think a calligraphy/handwriting font works at all for a web design business. It looks very 'quaint' or old fashioned, the opposite of what a web design firm should be putting out there.

A nice subtle font that compliments the 1 used in the navigation would look better.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tbh the brown looks a little off putting. Kind of like looking at erm.. you know.. its that same colour...

But other than that it seems alright..

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although the website does the purpose it is intended for but there is something about the color combination which doesn't feel optimal. I don't know if the divided content area is a good idea.
    The back ground looks heavy and i am not sure if the brown color is right. You can try with some other color schemes, most of the times minimal designs are what is required.
    I think you can try reducing the text size a bit in the menu and see if it looks good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too agree with much of the comment here, but I will try to add something additional.

From a usability perspective the home page lacks hierarchy, when I first arrived I was not sure where to look. I am not sure the two columns of type is the right approach. Perhaps look at one column of short bullet pointed sentences. With a rotation of your portfolio work in a small RHS column. However if you really want to keep the text as it is, I think it needs to be toned down a pinch, the white is a bit stark, also add some line spacing and make it smaller. Make it more fun to read with variation of bold and para breaks.

I would also suggest linking your logo to your home page, just as a site standard. I don't think the www graphic on the home page adds value to the page at all, rather it looks like its been added because you felt the need for some more graphics.

The Uppercase skinny text in the navigation is not the easiest to read, I would change to upper and lower case and select a different font.

The text in the top right hand corner needs a little bit more punch to make it a "call to action" I would also link it to your contact form.

hope that is helpful and good luck.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might want to use Adobe Kuler - http://kuler.adobe.com - to choose a more balanced site theme in terms of colors that don't conflict with each other as much

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I won't even go past the first page of this website because it is tooo much text. Inside the two brown rectangles would be great to see two examples of successful web designs you have done. That conveys the message without "writing a book" about why you should be someone's web designer. All the stuff you say is like a tired, worn-out resume cover page. Aka, not necessary and a waste of time.

Keep it visual and simple and get to the point right away because...you only have a split second to catch browsers!

Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    THE BAD

1. I am not a fan of the colors. they are not inviting to me.

2. "How Can We Help" Tab - I would suggest to make your images work with your background using a .PNG or .GIF .. the white backgrounds with the brown background does not look professional. It reminds me back in the days when we used POWER POINT to make presentations for high school.

3. FONT in the header .. not working for me. and hard to read your phone number

THE GOOD

1. Very Easy to read. (besides your header)

2. Very straight forward and to the point.

Hope it helps...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My opinion is when you see some website,first couple second are the most important, to make decision - is website designed good or not.

1. Brown color
    2. Boring
    3 Large white default fonts
    4 Not "justified" text

But this is only my opinion and don't think that is relevant. Maybe I,m wrong.

" De gustibus non est disputandum " - This sentence is the most important

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi!

I am using Chrome with 1360x768 resolution.

1. I like the fox. Kinda cute but not the logo font. Plus, it is so similar to "your affordable.." on the right that it doesn't stand out.

2. Nice header image.

3. Didn't like white text on brown boxes that have a teal background. First I thought since it had a fox, you put lots of brown. Then I checked your portfolio and lots of sites had brown.. but then, it is just a matter of taste and differs from country to country. So cant really complain

4. I think it might be good to have Previous | Next on top as well in the portfolio page.

It is good but for a web design site and with your 'design pricing', it needs to be a bit more impressive.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, The loading and navigation speed is good, but the color contrast is very bad (brown & green) , it should be a combination of light and dark colors. If you opt for a dark back ground color then the contrast color should be a light one and vice versa. The font you have used is a good one, the contents are very clear and legible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All right, I'll take a stab at it here (this looks like something I might design).

First off, I would like to say that I never saw the original version. If you've updated the logo I never saw the original (I have been reading this thread from page 1). I, for one, understand that web design != graphics master; however, business people do not know nor understand the difference.

Regarding the logo, the only thing I would say about it is that if you are going to use gradients, that is making something 2D now 3D; in doing so, you must add other elements in order for it to look... right (sorry, couldn't think of a better word). I think the fox is cute and well constructed, I would suggest some texture -- make a brush or find a photo, stick it in a background layer and set the opacity low so that you can see it, but it's subtle.

Personally, I love the buttons! I think they're adorable. And I do like how the text for the ones with two lines doesn't line up -- I see that as intentional, not a mistake. I think it may help make it look more intentional by making the starting points further apart (the first line going more to the left, the lower line going more to the right).

The brown columns I like; I guess the problem there is the white text over it. I think that looks funny in an amateur kind of way. Now I know that comment is useless without a suggestion as to how to remedy it. I would suggest another color you've already used -- the teal is too dark, so I would say the blue that you have for the buttons when it's the page the user is on (in this case "Home"). Also, it's too bold. At least, it's too bold in comparison with the headings -- if you make the headings bigger/bolder the text may look less bulky in comparison.

Oh, another thing I wanted to say about the brown -- is that a web-safe color? I find that non-web-safe colors usually look more natural. Another thing you may want to try (although your design may have enough of this with the background images) is adding texture. After reading the principles of design book (yes, published by sitepoint :P ) I have found that adding a bit of VERY subtle texture makes all the difference in the world. Since you already do have that background image behind the brown columns, you may want to simply try making them transparent. The way I would do so is just by saving a PNG file, setting the opacity to something high (prolly around 80) -- just enough so you can see the background, but that it's not so bold as to make reading the text a problem.

I do have to add one more thing. Personally, I love dark designs -- when I first started surfing the web, they seemed to be all the rage... with personal sites, or companion sites for games and things like that. And while your design, in my opinion, is very lovely, you need to just be careful as to who your targeting. Let me add that I am by no means any kind of authority on the matter, it's something I have to constantly work on, but for appealing to big (and small) business I would try to keep it bright. Bright = happy and/or energized. Dark, to me, seems to be things that are not normally related to business.

On that note, I would like to add a site for reference; I work in a call center and this is one of our clients.... I LOVE their web site (you'll be able to tell who it's targeted for the second it loads) because of how clean it is and, I think, easy to navigate. www.consumercellular.com

Sorry for this being so lengthy -- I hope I was helpful! (Also, I did not proof-read this x.x)
    Last edited by ShinoKage; Jun 2, 2010 at 18:51. Reason: Oops, forgot the site -- that's why I SHOULD proof-read!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cool site, the theme colors are really kinda weird and the images can do some work such as http://foxdenwebsolutions.com/images/www.jpg

maybe you would consider to use ajax navigation instead?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would have to echo some of the comments above.
    The first thing you need is establish a nice colour scheme.

There are some great colour wheel products that will let you create complementary colour schemes, for example:

http://colorschemedesigner.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Color is very powerful and used in the right way can help make a positive impression. I do not get a positive feel from your site and find the color scheme a little uncomfortable.

The typography of your site is also a little confused. Having script fonts on a website is not always negative but on yours I feel it is.

I do like your fox, did you design that your self?

Simon

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has to be a great site because obviously your wanting to attract clients. But on top of that 99.9% of the other web sites for designers are bad ass. So, The aim to be creative and unique is a must. Feel good about your work, I like the cathedral. The fox logo is cool and classy looking. Goes well with the background colors of the page.