SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What to do when no ODP editor ?

I've got a poetry site (yawn, bore, not another one) that I moved to another domain name. It was getting nice enough traffic, all things considered, on its old domain, and was in the ODP.

However, the ODP has no editors in the poetry category at the mo.- too much work, too many sites to look at, I don't know - so what should I do ? Just for the hell of it I submitted my site, but will it get looked at ? I suspect not.

Now I know that the ODP is vital to Google et al, because I had an adoption site up that had NO traffic until it was accepted by the ODP.

Does ZEAL have the same effect as the ODP ? I'm lazy, and unless it really does have a big effect, I won't bother going through that test again - I failed it the last time, and I've seen too many search engines come and go to feel like messing around. The biggies for me are the ODP and Google.

Clues, anyone ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, Zeal will apparenly get you in Looksmart and MSN so it's definitely worth it. You could always apply for the editor position if the category is vacant. Depending on whether you'd be interested or not, you may be out of luck.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Submit an update to your current listing. Email the closest editor above your category and explain that you have a site needing updating, would they please handle it. I'd do it if I got such an email.
    http://dmoz.org/profiles/kctipton.html
    http://www.resource-zone.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best thing to do is e-mail another editor or possibly a meta editor. While its not likely you will get a response, its worth a shot.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    O.K, thaks for the replies, I'll try another editor 'upline'

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zeal is good for free listings on MSN and Looksmart. If you submit there someone will usually review it within 1-2 weeks. Your site should be noncommercial though.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are NOT going to believe this, but ONE - yes, ONE - week after submitting, and without an editor in my category, I'm in! Yippee! Now that is COOOL!!