SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    SitePoint Addict aliqayyum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    303
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    website is not preview well on internet explorer

    hi friends

    i have smashinghub.com i got an error.. when i opened my website on internet explorer, it sidebar and post content moved down. , kindly help me, what sort of error it is??

    waiting for your reply

  2. #2
    The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Paul O'B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Hampshire UK
    Posts
    40,285
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Your google search in the right column is too wide for the column for a start so adjust that first.

    Columns will drop in IE if elements are too big so make sure everything fits inside exactly.

    You can try using overflow:hidden on the column containers but that will of course clip the content.

  3. #3
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,029
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might start with fixing the 29 validation errors in the site.

    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...Inline&group=0

    Some of them are fairly severe and might be causing the problem, although IE (especially IE6) is maddening to get right with layouts at the best of times.

    Then there's Paul's advice about trimming the Google Search element. Between the two, you should see some strong results.

  4. #4
    SitePoint Addict aliqayyum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    303
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul O'B View Post
    Your google search in the right column is too wide for the column for a start so adjust that first.

    Columns will drop in IE if elements are too big so make sure everything fits inside exactly.

    You can try using overflow:hidden on the column containers but that will of course clip the content.
    sir, i fixed the size of google search box, still have the same problem

  5. #5
    billycundiff{float:left;} silver trophybronze trophy RyanReese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Whiteford, Maryland, United States
    Posts
    13,564
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I'm getting no column drop in IE6. Did you manage to fix the issue?
    Twitter-@Ryan_Reese09
    http://www.ryanreese.us -Always looking for web design/development work

  6. #6
    The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Paul O'B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Hampshire UK
    Posts
    40,285
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanReese View Post
    Hi, I'm getting no column drop in IE6. Did you manage to fix the issue?
    The page seems to have changed since last I looked as now it's only a 2 column layout instead of 3

  7. #7
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,029
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't want to turn this into a website review , but now you have 80 errors, some fairly severe, and your "Contect With Us!" element has a blatant misspelling and uses icons that are displayed much larger than they were originally created to be, forcing them to render in a somewhat pixelated fashion. As Tim Gunn tells his designers, "Make it work!"

  8. #8
    SitePoint Addict aliqayyum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    303
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanReese View Post
    Hi, I'm getting no column drop in IE6. Did you manage to fix the issue?
    sir, actually i activate my older theme, due to this problem,

    sir , i uploaded this here http://www.mediafire.com/?nmumz0im3zw , kindly fix the error plz

  9. #9
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,029
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some problems here, Aligayyum, and please take this as constructive critiquing, not any sort of personal slapdown or an attempt at being insulting. SitePoint isn't a mechanic's shop, we don't just fix stuff. Our primary purpose is sharing knowledge, which basically means you bring a problem (or I bring a problem) to the forums and the other guys pitch in, not just to help you fix it, but to teach you how to fix it so you'll learn something and be a better designer.

    Also, that last link leads to a zip file, not a Web site. As soon as I realized what it was, I closed the window immediately for fear of a virus or trojan. If that site or file or whatever is zipped up in there has a problem, it seems to be separate from your smashinghub site and would require a separate thread, with open files for our perusal.

    Thanks.

  10. #10
    SitePoint Addict aliqayyum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    303
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Max View Post
    Some problems here, Aligayyum, and please take this as constructive critiquing, not any sort of personal slapdown or an attempt at being insulting. SitePoint isn't a mechanic's shop, we don't just fix stuff. Our primary purpose is sharing knowledge, which basically means you bring a problem (or I bring a problem) to the forums and the other guys pitch in, not just to help you fix it, but to teach you how to fix it so you'll learn something and be a better designer.

    Also, that last link leads to a zip file, not a Web site. As soon as I realized what it was, I closed the window immediately for fear of a virus or trojan. If that site or file or whatever is zipped up in there has a problem, it seems to be separate from your smashinghub site and would require a separate thread, with open files for our perusal.

    Thanks.
    sir u are right, i am also learn a lot in sitepoint.

    sir i activate theme, where i got an error , plz see the sidebar... if u guys trace out the error , just tell me, i will remove it simply, i m not going to marketing my site, i got an error, that is why, i created the problem post in CSS section.
    i m not personal, last two answer personalty attack on me, okey thanks a lot

  11. #11
    billycundiff{float:left;} silver trophybronze trophy RyanReese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Whiteford, Maryland, United States
    Posts
    13,564
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aliqayyum View Post
    sir, actually i activate my older theme, due to this problem,

    sir , i uploaded this here http://www.mediafire.com/?nmumz0im3zw , kindly fix the error plz
    I should also note there are about 10 pages in there so I don't know what to do about that lol. Which page?

    Also, a link would be much more preferable because we are very nervous about this stuff
    Twitter-@Ryan_Reese09
    http://www.ryanreese.us -Always looking for web design/development work

  12. #12
    SitePoint Addict aliqayyum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    303
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    today i m very upset with all of your answers

  13. #13
    billycundiff{float:left;} silver trophybronze trophy RyanReese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Whiteford, Maryland, United States
    Posts
    13,564
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry to hear that . We are just trying to provide constructive criticism .
    Twitter-@Ryan_Reese09
    http://www.ryanreese.us -Always looking for web design/development work

  14. #14
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,029
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aliqayyum View Post
    i m not personal, last two answer personalty attack on me, okey thanks a lot
    I really don't want to come across as personally criticizing or attacking you. That isn't what we do here. It's all about the design, I just want to help you get it the way you want it.

  15. #15
    SitePoint Addict aliqayyum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    303
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanReese View Post
    I should also note there are about 10 pages in there so I don't know what to do about that lol. Which page?

    Also, a link would be much more preferable because we are very nervous about this stuff
    sir i activate the theme on smashinghub.com which i got an error, i think, problem on the right sidebar and post content page, it goes down in internet explorer, you can see it plz

  16. #16
    SitePoint Addict aliqayyum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    303
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Max View Post
    I really don't want to come across as personally criticizing or attacking you. That isn't what we do here. It's all about the design, I just want to help you get it the way you want it.
    black max , i m using sitepoint as my guide line, i learnt a lot from sitepoint, wheneven i was placed the problem, this forum really fix it, with this hope, i come again, and i placed my problem, i attached the theme file, might be you looked better in the code, what sort of problem it is?

    now i activated the theme, where i have problem, can u look it? what is the error ?

  17. #17
    SitePoint Addict aliqayyum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    303
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    guys i fixed the problem , my own, thanks alot

  18. #18
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,029
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me go back, aliqayyum. You fixed the Google search box problem, but you haven't fixed the validation errors. Some of them could well be causing your problems.

    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=+h...Inline&group=0

    If it were my site, I would go through the list, fix the errors, reload the site, and see if that makes a difference. If it doesn't, we can give you as much help as we can to help you get it fixed.

    I just looked at it in Internet Explorer 6 and I don't see either sidebar dropping down. Try clearing your cache in IE and looking at it again.

  19. #19
    billycundiff{float:left;} silver trophybronze trophy RyanReese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Whiteford, Maryland, United States
    Posts
    13,564
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry we weren't able to help you with this but we are glad you solved it on your own . Do you know what the problem was?
    Twitter-@Ryan_Reese09
    http://www.ryanreese.us -Always looking for web design/development work

  20. #20
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,029
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aliqayyum View Post
    guys i fixed the problem , my own, thanks alot
    Excellent, you fixed it while I was typing that last post. Nice job!

  21. #21
    SitePoint Addict aliqayyum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    303
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanReese View Post
    Sorry we weren't able to help you with this but we are glad you solved it on your own . Do you know what the problem was?
    actually, before i placed the larger size subscriber box, it caused the problem

  22. #22
    SitePoint Addict aliqayyum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    303
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Max View Post
    Let me go back, aliqayyum. You fixed the Google search box problem, but you haven't fixed the validation errors. Some of them could well be causing your problems.

    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=+h...Inline&group=0

    If it were my site, I would go through the list, fix the errors, reload the site, and see if that makes a difference. If it doesn't, we can give you as much help as we can to help you get it fixed.

    I just looked at it in Internet Explorer 6 and I don't see either sidebar dropping down. Try clearing your cache in IE and looking at it again.
    as for concern of validation error, honestly, i don't know much about the programming, so , if you can help me here , then i will be very glad...


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •