Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Image processing with Python

Hi all

I'm looking for your opinions...!

I wish to code a webapp that is going to do some heavy image processing,

1. I'm thinking of using Python's PIL to decode upload jpeg/png/etc images before applying my own algorithms and saving out the processed image - sound like a reasonable use of PIL?

2. Initially I was thinking of using Google App Engine, but it seems there are restrictions on the file size to 1mb, I'd prefer/need a higher limit than this. I'm not sure if such a webapp is going to happily reside on a shared hosting environment, even for the initial prototyping phase. Am I looking at a need for a VPS?

Any thoughts?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trican View Post
    Hi all

I'm looking for your opinions...!

I wish to code a webapp that is going to do some heavy image processing,

1. I'm thinking of using Python's PIL to decode upload jpeg/png/etc images before applying my own algorithms and saving out the processed image - sound like a reasonable use of PIL?
    Sure. Have you looked at the PIL docs to see if PIL will do what you want?

http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2. Heavy image processing would require a hefty amount of CPU resources if you're going to do a lot, so a shared hosting might not be for you. Doesn't the Google App Engine let you increase the limit with a higher plan? There are also other cloud platforms other than Google App Engine, so you might want to consider those.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much for the response. I've looked briefly through the PIL documentation, I think it will suffice once it decodes/encodes jpeg/png and also allows me to access to the raw pixel values themselves.

I'm less clear about the resource requirements - I really should just prototype and profile the app offline first. GAE definitely imposes limits, but I'll have a look at other cloud based options.

If you have any other comments I'd be delighted to hear them. Many thanks!