SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is the best merchant processing solution?

If you want to take credit card orders (or pre-orders), what is the best merchant processing solution?
    I've heard the PayPal and Google Checkout will freeze your funds if even a single person complains about your service to them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no ...PayPal will freeze your account but
    they all will.

I like Authorizenet for a primary merchant account
    and then use PayPal as a secondary payment
    option.

Some carts will allow for 2 options on the
    order page.
    PremiumWebCart
    Memberships, Up Sell, Affiliate, CRM, Project Mgr, See More

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi I am new here and I am starting with your answerer. If you don't care about the customer leaving your site:
    Amazon Payments (underrated in my opinion)

PayPal
    Google Checkout

If you need to seamlessly integrate a payment form in your site:
    -PayPal Payments Pro ($30/month for a virtual terminal and API integration, no contracts, 2.9% transaction, it's really hard to find a merchant company that can beat this unless you're talking in volumes).

-Authorize-net coupled with the merchant company of your choice.
    When evaluating a merchant company, beware of contract stipulations, transaction fees, and monthly fees. My first provider was Card-service International (one of the largest) and I used Link Point for the online gateway. I was paying $60-80/month just for the service! (transaction fees excluded) AND I was locked in a 2-year contract with an insanely high cancellation fee. One of their fees was a mandatory $20 "customer service fee" for access to their 24/7 customer service team. (W T F?)
    Just be careful when evaluating merchant companies. Try starting at your bank (as long as it's not Chase, B o A, or Wells Fargo). Generally, local community banks or credit unions will have fair pricing and good customer service for merchants.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With any of these solutions you consider, carefully read the merchant agreements. Not all of them permit you to take payments for pre-orders. You'll be in a bit of a jam if you take thousands of dollars of pre-orders, they look into your account and see that they're preorders, then close your account and freeze all the funds for 6 months.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A serious merchant provider will not ask for a long-term commitment and should provide you with a clear cost-plus schedule A that lists all prices. The main advantage is that a good service provider will help you with the setup of the shopping cart and provide value support. Generally you'd look at around $25 a month for the service plus the processing in terms of costs.