Thread: Admin panel

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Admin panel

Hello,

I have a simple website and i want to create a admin panel where i can login and change the content/text on my website. Dont know where and how to begin so if you can point me towards a tutorial i would be very gratefull.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on your experience and the time you have you could integrate your website with a content management system (CMS) such as Drupal, Wordpress, or Joomla. These are all great tools and would do everything you want and more. There is a slight learning curve to using these though.

Another option is to build your own CMS, but doing this would probably take more time then it would to learn one of the above mentioned CMS.

All 3 of the CMS's have large communities and you should be able to find tutorials by just googling for them.
    Follow Me On Twitter: BryceRay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can of course build your own CMS suited for your website, if you have the skill or money to pay someone to do it. That's usually the best way but it's not that easy.

You might also use some already existing CMS like bar338 said but they are very hard to customize and there are many things you won't be able to do without messing with the internal code (which isn't a good idea because you wouldn't be able to use updates properly). But for simple websites Wordpress will usually work great and there are quite many plugins that extend its functionality.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bar338 View Post
    Depending on your experience and the time you have you could integrate your website with a content management system (CMS) such as Drupal, Wordpress, or Joomla. These are all great tools and would do everything you want and more. There is a slight learning curve to using these though.

Another option is to build your own CMS, but doing this would probably take more time then it would to learn one of the above mentioned CMS.

All 3 of the CMS's have large communities and you should be able to find tutorials by just googling for them.
    And how exatcly can i integrate a Joomla CMS in my curent website? How hard is it for someone with an avarage amount of knowledge about programming?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Define average amount of knowledge about programming. Do you know XHTML, CSS, PHP?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by risoknop View Post
    Define average amount of knowledge about programming. Do you know XHTML, CSS, PHP?
    I know my way around XHTML and CSS quite well but am a bit bad when it comes to PHP.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your PHP skills aren't the best I suspect that you may have some problems setting up a major CMS.

I've honestly not tried using wordpress as a CMS but this seems to be a site with some tutorials. http://wordpresscms.ithemes.com/resources/how-tos/ I would look through it and see if you feel its above your head. Your the only one that can truly gauge this. If you feel like you might be able to do it, remember there is always lots of friendly help at sitepoint
    Follow Me On Twitter: BryceRay

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cushy CMS http://www.cushycms.com/ (I would suggest this one) or Frog CMS www.madebyfrog.com

Use something simple. I wouldn't go overboard with Drupal, Wordpress or Joomla.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's simple: Surreal CMS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tmapm View Post
    I agree whole heartedly.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aksival View Post
    That's simple: Surreal CMS
    Thanks a million mate. Surreal is installed and works briliant. Tried my luck with concrete5 yesterday but its' really bad. Thanks again,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem, glad it worked for you. Surreal has a pretty awesome support team too