SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ie 5.x, ne 4.x, serious problems

I'm about to pull my hair out over this. In fact, I am willing to pay someone to help me with this problem at this point. If offering cash is frowned upon here, then I will offer whatever else you feel like - Amazon gift certs, etc - instead, because that's how badly I need this fixed.

I've re-done my site via CSS 2 guidelines. It validates for HTML 4.01 and CSS 2. It looks just fine in IE 6, NE 6.x, Opera 6.x, Mozilla 1.0, and ie 5.x for Mac.

ie 5.x/5.5 for windows destroys it - it appears to utterly ignore my <div> layers and their positions. ne 4.x barfs from the start and won't even process the CSS file, in other words it looks just as if no CSS file was specified.

I have tried more ie tricks than I care to think about. I have visited many sites on my quest to figure this out. Nothing is working with these two (or three, if you count 5.5 as separate) of POS buggy browsers.

I need three things:

A css file that works with ie 5.x/5.5
    A basic css file that works with ne 4.x (I realize ne 4.x is so horribly screwed that I won't get it to look the same as the others, and I don't care).

A simple php redirect script (or perl, don't care) that will send the browsers above to use the correct css file.

Name your poison. I'm serious.

Ixian

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

:.:

Couple of suggestions.

1. Point us to the webpage your working on. If's it's not on the net, try to upload it so people can see it.

Another option would be to post your HTML and CSS code.

2. NN4 only supports some CSS1, so you will have to create a CSS1 stylesheet using the <LINK> and then use @import for newer browsers that support CSS2. (Because @import is only recognized by newer browsers, and will not effect older ones)

Here are some resources for your CSS needs.

http://www.webreview.com/style/css1/...stergrid.shtml

-See what styles work with what browsers.

http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/...lesheet_guide/

-Good reference

http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/...lesheet_guide/

-Very nice.

I hope this helps.

Cosmic.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you!

I'd seen the webmonkey one before, but the webreview one is a real treasure. It's the first CSS guide I've seen - and I'm not kidding, I have gone through MANY - that mentions potential "buggy-ness" with IE 5.x/5.5 and the #id selector. That is very interesting, because I do positioning like this:

#news {
    border: 0px;
    background: transparent;
    voice-family: "\"}\"";
    voice-family:inherit;
    position: relative;
    z-index: 3;
    margin-left: 150px;
    margin-right: 150px;
    margin-top: 5px;
    padding: 5px;
    }

#left {
    position: absolute;
    z-index: 2;
    top: 140px;
    left: 1px;
    margin: 1px;
    padding: 1px;
    border: 0px;
    background: #11244F;
    width: 120px;
    voice-family: "\"}\"";
    voice-family:inherit;
    }
    html>body #left {
    }

Where news is a fluid center column and left is a fixed left column. I impliment it div <div id="news"> , etc. Now I wonder if that is triggering some little known bug in ie5/5.5 . It would certainly make sense, as both those browsers pretend my divs don't exist.

I shouldn't have a problem changing those to classes (.news, etc) and doing a <div class="news"> should I?

Site is www.maximumgamer.com btw.

Thank you,

Ixian
    Last edited by ixian; Jun 28, 2002 at 22:08.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cosmic, you got anything you want on Amazon? Or my first born? I know you think you just provided a link or two. But that one link lead me to the solution to the ie 5/5.5 problem I was having, so THANK YOU.

Turns out that something in my CSS, valid or no, in combination with using the id# tag was causing ie 5/5.5 to bug out - literally. When I switched the #id's to classes, and changed my html to suit, the site rendered perfectly in both browsers (and continues to render just fine in the others). NE 4.x still has problems, but I care a lot less about that browser - ie 5/5.5 are still used by a distressingly large amount of users while ne 4.x is not.

Whew! Two down, one to go! I'm not sure if using class tags that way instead of id's is completely kosher, but it validates and I don't care

Now I gotta find a way to create a css file that works with ne 4.x......

Ixian

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

:.:

No prob man, check your Private Messages. I left a very helpfull site you might wanna check out. It can help you with your NN4 problem.

Cosmic.