SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Creating a Web Site Testing Station

I have an extra computer lying around, and I've decided I am going to turn it into a web site testing station.

I'd like to be able to see how my sites look in as many configurations as possible.

I've read this article:

http://www.alistapart.com/stories/xplatform/

But its only for Macs.

Does anyone know how I can do something just like that article on a PC?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow thats a great article... If I only had a mac.

Anyway, i believe the only way to do this on a pc is too split your hard drive into multiple partitions and install different browsers on them. Since IE can only be installed once in Windows you will need to install different versions on different OS's. Again i'm not sure on the exact details of how to do this and there may be an easier way. I'll look around and report back later. In the meantime good luck.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For PC the best way I know and use for testing my software (not WebSites but it looks to be the same) is using VMWare. You can run multiple "computers" inside your operating system (should be NT/2000 or XP) and "network" them as well. In that case if you put a WebServer on the main PC and configure "virtual" desktops of any type (even Linux or Solaris) then you can access the server via internal network and do the best possible testing on one computer. VMWare has got a trial version as well
    http://www.vmware.com

Hope this helps.

Evian