Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Member of the Month Awards

Goodmorning everybody.

So we're trying something new.

I'm sure you know about our Member of the Month (MOTM) awards; We examine the activity and quality of posts throughout the month, pick out the members who stood out, interview them, and feature the deserving member around the start of the following month.

That's theorhetically how it should work.

The reality is that Life always gets in the way.

Sitepoint staff, we're mostly unpaid volunteers. And our winning members usually have very busy lives, jobs and families, tight schedules; And we're not always able to run nominations, vote, conduct interviews, and make announcements in just a week. It's proven fantastically difficult.

(Case in point.)

So we're experimenting with the process, and we've decided to allow more time for these behind the scenes activities to take place. As of this year, the MOTM for January will be awarded on the 1st March and so on throughout the year.

This will allow the staff plenty of time to make sure that on the first week of every month a MOTM is announced, interview posted, and badge changed all on that day without fail. This will also allow the badge to be worn by the member for the whole month (as at present we are often running two weeks late).

So there you have it. Please look out for our next MOTM announcement in March 2010.

Thank you kindly!

Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy mizwizzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MOTM badge

i think this is a good idea - is the acknowledgement period extended for accepting ur award?

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well that's the idea mizwizzy, it gives us more time for the whole process so hopefully we won't have any reasons for things to get backed up again (of course if you don't respond for a month then there will be a few problems - but hopefully that won't occur for future winners)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah I wasnt sure i thought it was from a staff point of view with regard to the timing issue but as you say if its across the board then thats fantastic news for all us busy people

billycundiff{float:left;} silver trophybronze trophy RyanReese's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great idea! I always hated how late the interviews would take place but now it will be late, but on time (if that made sense)!
    Always looking for web design/development work.
    http://www.CodeFundamentals.com

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    now all you gotta do, when the next MOTM is announced on march 1st, is call it the MOTM for march instead of MOTM for january

in a few months nobody will know the difference, and it won't come across as being so late
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r937 View Post
    now all you gotta do, when the next MOTM is announced on march 1st, is call it the MOTM for march instead of MOTM for january

in a few months nobody will know the difference, and it won't come across as being so late
    The setup before meant that the MOTM for January wore the badge in February but was still listed as MOTM for January. Now they will wear the badge in March. By the time May comes along no one will remember whether they were MOTM for Jan, Feb, or Mar.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why don't you let go of this fuss? It is meaningless.
    ------------------

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    957 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rageh View Post
    We think it's really important to recognise people for going out of their way to help others on the forums - it's nice to be 'fussed' over occassionally.

The Mind's I ® silver trophy Dark Tranquility's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am sure that most of the members here don't agree with you
    It is always nice and motivating to be recognized for what we do

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look at that sexy badge!
    "I'm Commander Shepard, and this is
    my favourite post on the internet."

We'll miss you, Dan Schulz.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Tranquility View Post
    I am sure that most of the members here don't agree with you
    It is always nice and motivating to be recognized for what we do
    Recognise people for their selfless contribution to the forum. I am for that. That is what the annual badges are all about.

But my point is that the member of the month of January being recognized in March is not helpful and probably not relevant for that month anyway. That only causes confusion. People will readily assume that the said recognision is for March only to be told that they are wrong. You see the confusion?

Other members have pointed this out too. So it won't be missed if is is let go.
    ------------------

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    problem is easily solved by announcing the winner of the monthly award in march as the march member of the month, the winner of the monthly award in april as the april member of the month, and so on, even if the selection process begins two months earlier
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about just calling it recognition of the month? No specific month mentioned. Then staff can be more flexible.
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    But my point is that the member of the month of January being recognized in March is not helpful and probably not relevant for that month anyway.
    How is recognising the MOTM from January for the whole of March any different from the old way of recognising them for part of February in terms of the relationship between the time they are being recognised for and the time they wear the recognition - apart from it giving those who make large contributions at the end of the month to be recognised instead of it being too late.

At no time has anyone ever had the MOTM badge during the month that they won it for.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh man I want a badge one of these days, it is going to be hard to compete with all these guru masters though hahah

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JREAM View Post
    Oh man I want a badge one of these days, it is going to be hard to compete with all these guru masters though hahah
    You don't have to be a guru to get MOTM . Just be a good contributing user in the forums.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    exactly - look at me - i'm the perfect example

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I'm a good example too (never been MOTM) .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    congrats to all previous MOTM's. really nice idea.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    And I'm a good example too (never been MOTM)
    Some people wait a long time... like Kailash. I'm sure there are a lot of people who get the Motm thingie after being here for a pretty long time actually. Go through the list of past people and some of them had joined like years earlier.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stomme poes View Post
    Some people wait a long time... like Kailash. I'm sure there are a lot of people who get the Motm thingie after being here for a pretty long time actually. Go through the list of past people and some of them had joined like years earlier.
    Post 37 on

I am fine with waiting, if I actually do get it, but I know great members in this community took a very very long time to get it so I'm not expecting anything anytime soon

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy AndrewCooper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Firstly, I personally don't see why some people are moaning about the confusion this will cause. If you see a member with the MOTM badge in their profile, then you know that for some month in the current year they've received the MOTM award because of being a good contributing member to the forums, for whatever reason that was and in whichever month it was.

Also, if anyone is so bothered / fussed / confused / concerned about the current MOTM award then they should simply take a bit of common sense from their brain (trust me, everyone does have a tiny bit of common sense here and there) and go to the most recent MOTM award thread to see who has received the award, for what month they received it, the reason they received it (if any particular reason is given) and also to read the entertaining interviews. Then...BAM! You aren't confused anymore! At least, that's what I do! But to each their own, as they say.

Secondly:

Quote Originally Posted by JREAM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanReese View Post
    And I'm a good example too (never been MOTM) .
    I think he was making a playful joke Ryan and you aren't a good example in regards to this particular quote because if you have a look at your lovely red badge, you're a CSS Guru. So therefore, you're the total opposite of a good example lol. Unless of course when JREAM said "badge" he literally meant a MOTM award badge and not any general badge. I figured he was also talking about the competing with the "guru masters" as the "CSS Guru", "(x)HTML Guru", etc awards too.

Quote Originally Posted by Stomme poes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanReese View Post
    Post 37 on

I am fine with waiting, if I actually do get it, but I know great members in this community took a very very long time to get it so I'm not expecting anything anytime soon
    Personally I don't see it as a matter of waiting for one or even expecting one, I see it as just being a general / ordinary member who is contributing to the forums success and helping themselves and others because they want to, not because in their mind they're secretly waiting to be awarded the MOTM award.

Just because a person has been here for a long time doesn't mean they should automatically get one because they've been a good contributing member over the years. The way I understand the system is that it is called a Member of the Month award because they have been a good contributing member for that particular month they were selected in. Therefore, (I think) you could be here for another 10 years and not receive a MOTM award simply because there's never been a month when you've rised above anyone else to receive the award.

For the record Ryan, I wasn't taking a bashing at you or anyone else for that matter, I was just stating how I think it works and how it should work according to what has been posted in the past. And what you said was something I felt I needed to make a statement about to everyone. Unless I'm wrong in which case the moderators / staff should tell us whether receiving the MOTM award is based on how long you've been here for or the quality of your contribution for the respective month.

And for the record, I think this is a good idea and I don't think it would create any confusion amongst the members that regularly check the News and Announcements forum. As with raena's announcement regarding the signatures, I'll quote myself:

Hmm. I don't know about you guys and girls but I'm reading all these post replies about different ways of going about the same sticky situation - I don't know how they (Moderators, Administrators, Staff, etc) went about it internally but clearly they've decided this method would be the best and they've just announced it.

I for one am happy that they went ahead and took action as soon as they possibly could. And if they did have discussions internally between the various staff then I also think that is the best way for such a policy as this one - The staff do a damn good job of keeping these forums in a good and healthy shape so I think we can be comfortable in the knowledge that they know what they're doing and whatever they are doing is best for the forums.
    To the future of SitePoint and I look forward to reading the next SitePoint MOTM award in March!

Andrew Cooper

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    So what happens if nobody was particularly awesome during a particular month? It's not like every month has some standout... that would be kinda creepy actually.