User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    padawan silver trophybronze trophy markbrown4's Avatar
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KLB View Post
    AJAX is great, I just wish someone would solidify it into a web specification so that we had something that we knew would be a little more stable for the long run.
    http://www.w3.org/TR/XMLHttpRequest/
    Quote Originally Posted by KLB
    People should keep these two things straight..rant
    I actually knew that history but thanks for sharing your extensive knowledge. We were talking about browsers and I tried to make that clear.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy KLB's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by markbrown4 View Post
    This is good to see. Given the number of drafts completed and time elapse from the first draft, it looks like they are getting close to a final spec. We can only hope.

Quote Originally Posted by markbrown4 View Post
    I actually knew that history but thanks for sharing your extensive knowledge.
    You may know your Internet history, but many don't so it's always good to post a brief refresher from time to times in these types of threads. We're starting to see more and more young web developers who weren't even born when the WWW was first unveiled. Heck my main website might be older than some members here (god I'm getting old ).
    Ken Barbalace: EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Blog, Careers)
    InternetSAR.org
    Volunteers Assist Search and Rescue via Internet
    My Firefox Theme: Classic Compact
    Based onFirefox's default theme but uses much less window space

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Been a while since my last response so I'll add a few extra notes based on the below quotes.
    Quote Originally Posted by tke71709 View Post
    All this jibber jabber about how IE6 is holding back the Internet is frankly silly. Is it annoying for web developers? Of course it is, but you (the web developers) have a choice as to whether you want to jump through hoops or not.
    What's "frankly silly" is that your turning the subject into a black and white conversation, it's not simply a case of "I love IE6 so I'll do everything I can to give those unique people the bestest thing possible with skittles and rainbows and unicorn love!" VS "I lothe IE6 so I'll fire missiles and kittens attached to flamethrowers to prevent them, that and a NO IE6 banner along with the possibility of just leaving them with a messed up design". If it were a simple case of "drop the reject" we would have done it ages ago, the problem is that like IE6 or not, it's still an important factor with a large user base associated with it, therefore being a purist and dumping it in the trash doesn't work on the basis that your effectively trying to tank your potential audience out of an opinion or frustration out of an elderly coded bag of nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    The reason for that is that when IE6 was created it was way ahead of the standards.
    They weren't way ahead of the standards, they were way ignorant of the standards. Microsoft didn't really care about the W3C (the specs were about before IE6 was, check the dates), they just wanted to ensure the nails remained firmly in Netscape's coffin, therefore the practice of proprietary techniques still remained at large (along with hasLayout), luckily some things remained useful and became parts of future revisions or specifications, but much was Microsoft just playing "innovator".
    Quote Originally Posted by KLB View Post
    Were there other good browsers on the market at that time? Yes there were, one was called Opera, which is what I switched to once Netscape floundered.
    Back then Opera wasn't free, nor was it a true competitor as while they may have a decent development team, their marketing was less than shining (and still remains the case). I hardly think it's comparable to match a browser which was marketed as a free download (for windows) against a (then) shareware (ad-infested) champion of the elite. IE6 may have it's bugs but it's done a lot for web development as a whole. Without IE6 you wouldn't have AJAX (as Dan mentioned), there wouldn't have been additions to the specifications like overflow-x/-y (CSS3 but existing in IE6), there wouldn't have been VML (the precursor to SVG - which Microsoft pioneered towards the web). And if you go further back you can include iFrame's, FavIcon's and a lot of other bit's and pieces commonly used today.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    They weren't way ahead of the standards, they were way ignorant of the standards. Microsoft didn't really care about the W3C (the specs were about before IE6 was, check the dates)
    They weren't standards, they were recommendations, and nobody really cared about the recommendations except maybe Opera...

Can we give up on bashing people's decisions 9 years ago based on our knowledge today? They're not going to go back in time and change them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I wasn't bashing their decision to ignore the recommendations, I was bashing their behaviour in respect to getting into an innovation war against Netscape to create as many proprietary alternatives as possible to lead developers into a web duality to ensure compatibility occurred on feature rich pages. While IE6 was past the initial browser wars they knowingly continued to keep sprinkling "fairy dust" about in the hope their ideas on what should occur would have everyone follow their mindset.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One day Internet Explorer 6 will be gone and I'm going to miss it. What will I take my anger out on once its gone...? I think Google is doing a great start to lead the people who are still using IE6 to move on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Err IE6...? whats that?
    Don't Panic

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Err IE6...? whats that?
    You'll be saying that line when you're 75 yrs old. Who knows what will happen with browsers by then, maybe you'll also be saying "What was a browser grandpa" or if you have no children "What was a browser, old man"

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    IE6 is not holding back the web -- users just can't or won't give it up

here's a story which explains why IE6 will be a strong force for at least another 4 years --
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At my school, we are all forced to use Internet Explorer. More painfully, the version of Internet Explorer is IE6. This bugs me a lot. Luckily, those computers allow exe programs to be run so I can still use Google Chrome.

Unfortunately, some people do not have a choice over which browser they can use. For example, public library computers restrict people to using the browser installed on the computer (IE7 at the library I commonly go to, main library in the city), but, users are not allowed to run exe files meaning that people are stuck with IE7. The most unfortunate part is the library computers have a time limit and a big chunk of that is lost trying to load up internet explorer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshTime View Post
    At my school, we are all forced to use Internet Explorer. More painfully, the version of Internet Explorer is IE6. This bugs me a lot. Luckily, those computers allow exe programs to be run so I can still use Google Chrome.

Unfortunately, some people do not have a choice over which browser they can use. For example, public library computers restrict people to using the browser installed on the computer (IE7 at the library I commonly go to, main library in the city), but, users are not allowed to run exe files meaning that people are stuck with IE7. The most unfortunate part is the library computers have a time limit and a big chunk of that is lost trying to load up internet explorer.
    Then be a good citizen and inform them that they are forcing people to use crappy browsers
    Don't Panic

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once, I asked a Librarian (wrong person to ask) why they used Internet Explorer 7 while IE8 was already out.

This was her response:
    "Oh no! IE8 has a lot more bugs and security holes than IE7."

Another problem I face a lot are the hardcore Microsoft fans. There is nothing wrong with being a hardcore Microsoft fan but those people believe that Internet Explorer is the best thing in the world just because it comes from Microsoft.

Hopefully, the next generation will be more educated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    "Oh no! IE8 has a lot more bugs and security holes than IE7."
    Ask her if she can cite her sources because all the documented evidence shows otherwise.