SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MySQL compatability question

I work for a multi-million dollar corporation (which shall remain nameless) that currently offers no web services and recently got email and networked the computers.

I am in the process of writting a proposal for intranet applications and web applications.

Most of the employees are old and stuck in their ways and enjoy the feel good world of Microsoft. All their data is currently in MS Acess and is only used from one desktop to another. The idea is of course to try to start sharing information in the databases and creating some interaction through a web front (for both inernet and intranet). The good thing is that the data from past years is not important and only the information for the current year is what is normally needed.

The main server is currently a linux box and will probably stay that way. My question is this.

If I propose to start moving things towards MySQL, what kind of an effect will this have on the people who use MS office for their day to day duties? Will they be able to use MS office to create mailing labels from the data storted in a MySQL database in MS Word or use any other information form a MySQL database in MS Office?

I read a post talking about using ODBC for this but don't know anything about that.

The reason I've chosen MySQL is because that is the only database I"m familiar with.

I appreciate your comments

thanks
    Jason
    ><>

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Bugger, quite an old post, no response and meez have the same question
    http://www.thedigitalnomad.co.nz

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    check out the myodbc faq at http://www.mysql.com/products/myodbc/faq_toc.html

pretty simple really i think, install the drivers on a client machine and point it to the mysql server. now all your odbc compliant apps (eg Office) can see the database

good luck

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can easily setup a centralized database using MySQL as the repository. Then using MyODBC, you can connect an Access database to the tables and create local queries, form, reports and other good Access features.

If you need help, read the MyODBC site for help on getting it installed. For actually using it though read the help in Access as well as information on ODBC on Microsoft's Data Access website at: http://www.microsoft.com/data/
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if the company is rich enough, go for SQL Server.

Even though it can take longer time to adapt for you at the beginning, in long run you will get benefit + your old minded guys would be happy to keep using Microsoft and will not make any problem( I assume ).

Benefits:
    You will learn a new advanced database system which is called enterprise database.
    You will have one more skill in your resume that will help you earn more.

I use MySQL ( currently moving to PostgreSQL ) for myself and SQL Server for my company and enjoying playing with 3 of them.

IMHO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm afraid I can't switch to SQL. The fact that I am proposing this idea is pretty drastic. We just got the computers networked back in April.

The main reason I am proposing this idea is to create a job for myself. I currently work as a seasonal position and I am looking to make a full time position. I don't think they would swing with the idea that I propose they use something that I don't know how to use. It will be enough to convince them that they need to start taking adavntage of the technology they have now.

Thanks for all the input

Jason
    ><>
    Last edited by p2ranger; Jul 1, 2002 at 12:44.