SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    SitePoint Addict chestertondevelopment's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm surprised (but not shocked) by the amount of negativity for the iPad on here.

I was underwhelmed initially too, thinking along the same lines as most of these posts, "it's just a big iPhone", "what does it do that a Macbook/iPhone can't" but I that's the point, for people (techies) like us that have Smart Phones, Netbooks, Laptops etc. it doesn't have many uses. It's not for us.

It's for your parents, your grandparents, your kids, your younger siblings, those who don't spend most of their day on computers creating content. Those who want to consume content, maybe watch some videos, send a few emails, write a document or two, those who don't "get computers" or think their complicated. I honestly think it's where consumer devices are heading, you only have to look at the ease of use of the iPhone to see how that's taken off.

I see it as a coffee table device. Mum wants a recipe, picks it up, finds it and cooks something. Their kid plays a couple of games on it, maybe watches a video. Dad sends an email, browses the web for a bit, show's some photos to Mum. That's where it's aimed at, not you, not me, everyone else and they've done it in a simple, Apple-esque way.

The only major omissions for me are multi-user support and a front-facing camera - would be a perfect device for Skype.

From space with love silver trophy
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Multitasking is the main thing that most people probably fault it for, for example they can't be listing to music whilst they are surfing the net, reading an ebook, etc. They would have to use an iPod at the same time.

It would have been better if it had a DVD drive then DVDs could be watched on it, mobile internet is not always cheap.
    Community Team Advisor
    Forum Guidelines: Posting FAQ Signatures FAQ Self Promotion FAQ
    Help the Mods: What's Fluff? Report Fluff/Spam to a Moderator

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    411 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    It's a pretty device, but a bit limited. Apple tends to be a bit stingy... and they are no doubt holding back a lot of features so they can put them in the next versions to make us want to upgrade... like card slots etc.

I've realized that my disappointment really stems from a desire for laptops to be simpler. I find them a bit clunky, and don't see why the main features of a laptop can't be fitted into something like this. (So I disagree with Steve about having a middle device.)

Imaging OS X on this thing, with a proper hard drive, multi tasking, DVD slots etc. Man, I'd ditch the laptop in a jiff. Hopefully one day we'll see an iPad Pro... (Hmmm. But I dought we will.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need one.
    Have a good day.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph.m View Post
    It's a pretty device, but a bit limited. Apple tends to be a bit stingy... and they are no doubt holding back a lot of features so they can put them in the next versions to make us want to upgrade... like card slots etc.

I've realized that my disappointment really stems from a desire for laptops to be simpler. I find them a bit clunky, and don't see why the main features of a laptop can't be fitted into something like this. (So I disagree with Steve about having a middle device.)

Imaging OS X on this thing, with a proper hard drive, multi tasking, DVD slots etc. Man, I'd ditch the laptop in a jiff. Hopefully one day we'll see an iPad Pro... (Hmmm. But I dought we will.)
    An ideal solution would be for a laptop with a screen which could be turned and moved to rest against the bottom of the laptop with the screen facing out and for the screen to be a touch screen.
    Community Team Advisor

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpacePhoenix View Post
    An ideal solution would be for a laptop with a screen which could be turned and moved to rest against the bottom of the laptop with the screen facing out and for the screen to be a touch screen.
    We've had those for years... even multitouch. Here's mine:

HP TouchSmart. The ugly battery is for extended use, there's a smaller one that doesn't stick out.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dan, what's the battery life like on that?
    Community Team Advisor

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2-3 hours, 4+ with an extended life battery, it's no Apple

padawan silver trophybronze trophy markbrown4's Avatar
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was very impressed when I first saw the Mag+ concept
    http://berglondon.com/blog/2009/12/17/magplus/

The iPad didn't impress me as much. As others have said we have devices for watching movies, sending email, listening to music, viewing photos. I think there is room for a good eBook reader. I find it unnecessary.

If they become quite popular i'd probably get one so I can serve stuff to those users.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If they had OSX (the proper version) and USB support I would have been the first at the front of the queue. I've considered getting a Mac because there's loads of much better apps than Windows offers (quality wise), especially in web design. If they had made it like the Macbook Air (with multi-touch support minus the keyboard) it would have been much better - that at least had USB support and was a pretty decent lightweight option. If I want something that'll play apps from the app store, I'll buy an iPhone, it's smaller, works well and is the true essence of portable computing. Buying something bigger only has two advantages... if you are an iPhone / iTouch gamer OR if you want a Kindle alternative which does a better job - and in that sense it will probably be a success, but I fall into neither category.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by browntigga View Post
    If you want you can register the domains listed in the forum post below and sell the product (pictured) below. LOL

Sitepoint Available iPad Domains

Community Advisor silver trophy

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not convinced that ergonomically it's any good, or that it scores sufficiently highly in portability (it's too big for a pocket).

There's a reason your monitor is vertically orientated, while your keyboard isn't. You'd not necessarily enjoy using a vertical monitor with a vertical keyboard that you had to stretch out your arms constantly to, or have your display flat out on a desk.

If you watch most people interacting with hand held devices /smartphones like the iphone, they don't lay them down flat on a desk, it's normally one handed hand held/cupped in one hand, operated with the other. Now supersize this device and make it a lot heavier, are you going to enjoy reading/watching movies/surfing on this for hours?

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EastCoast View Post
    Not convinced that ergonomically it's any good, or that it scores sufficiently highly in portability (it's too big for a pocket).

There's a reason your monitor is vertically orientated, while your keyboard isn't. You'd not necessarily enjoy using a vertical monitor with a vertical keyboard that you had to stretch out your arms constantly to, or have your display flat out on a desk.

If you watch most people interacting with hand held devices /smartphones like the iphone, they don't lay them down flat on a desk, it's normally one handed hand held/cupped in one hand, operated with the other. Now supersize this device and make it a lot heavier, are you going to enjoy reading/watching movies/surfing on this for hours?
    I'f I had to choose a device for watching movies/reading/surfing for hours I would go for a netbook or average spec laptop over an iPad as they would be better value for money and more practical, both to use and for transportation and storage. Also laptops (I don't know if netbooks are able to) can be connected upto an external monitor or TV for watching films.

For quick surfing on the net i would probably go for a pda.
    Community Team Advisor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpacePhoenix View Post
    Also laptops (I don't know if netbooks are able to) can be connected upto an external monitor or TV for watching films.
    my eeePC has an external monitor plug (vga only though).

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True, a Netbook does seem more logical. The Kindle could capitalize on this, by reducing the price of the Kindle to $199, they would sell fast and become a eBook standard.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would they? Lots of people think the Kindle is technologically neat, but I don't know anyone that isn't a heavy reader and would actually pay hundreds of dollars for a one. "Heavy book readers" is not a huge category in modern society. If you only buy 3 $9.99 paperbacks a year, why are you going to spend 20 times that for an ereader? With an iPad or a netbook, you can do a lot more than just read books.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chestertondevelopment View Post
    I see it as a coffee table device. Mum wants a recipe, picks it up, finds it and cooks something. Their kid plays a couple of games on it, maybe watches a video. Dad sends an email, browses the web for a bit, show's some photos to Mum. That's where it's aimed at, not you, not me, everyone else and they've done it in a simple, Apple-esque way.
    I agree with this 100%. I love gadgets and I can't wait to get my hands on one of these. But I agree that the target market isn't "us". Once my parents see this, they'll love it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seawind View Post
    Your picture look so funny
    That is too funny

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in my day (cue cranky old woman stuff) we said the same thing about the iPod.

Apple are really good at identifying a market before you do.
    "I'm Commander Shepard, and this is
    my favourite post on the internet."

We'll miss you, Dan Schulz.

secure webapps for all Aleksejs's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hackaday's thoughts on iPad: http://hackaday.com/2010/01/29/our-t...s-on-the-ipad/

Some say, that with iPad Apple wants to enter healthcare industry:
    http://tinycomb.com/2010/01/09/break...care-industry/

For elderly people this product might be better:
    http://www.medgadget.com/archives/20...reading_1.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me the iPad is a great device for reading pdf magazines. I do this on a laptop right now, but the option to rotate the screen 90degrees and have a full page in my hands is awesome. Sure there are other devices that do this, but they're not as slick looking/feeling.
    iPad-Board.com all about the iPad.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tailslide's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really wanted to love this...

I love my little iBook, I like my ipod and the iphone a lot - but this... doesn't really feel like it's needed in it's current form. It doesn't make life easier.

Lack of connectivity, OSx and flash really kill it unfortunately. I don't like the idea of a backlit e-book - too hard to read compared to my Sony Touch. It's just too limited at the moment.

I look forward to the next version which will hopefully put right some of these issues.
    Little Blue Plane Web Design
    Blood, Sweat & Rust - A Land Rover restoration project

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by raena View Post
    Apple are really good at identifying a market before you do.
    I think there's a real potential marketplace for it as a gaming device (ironically), there's no gaming devices which function on the basis of touch sensitivity (well the DS does have the stylus but that's totally different), there's thousands of games in the app store which will all work on it, and because it's scaled up it'll be a more engaging experience. If it's usable as both a gaming device, video player and kindle style book reader, it could hook into several markets.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's totally Overpriced!!! My Dell Axim X30 which I purchased in 2004 was costing less than 200 pounds then and will cost nowadays something around 50 pounds. It does much more than iPad does. Look, for a $1000 you will get decent MacBook which you could use as professional music recording studio or professional video editing suite.
    Even my new Windows 5.0 CE netbook is total crap for 100 pounds, for 250 pounds I could buy a decent netbook with Windows 7 in it.