SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They should have called it iSlate. Why iPad when they already have iPod, beats me, as for who will dominate the eBook world, it's tough to say Kindle or iPad, but Amazon needs to release a color Kindle, quick.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Stormrider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanhellyer View Post
    Huh? It's US$499! That seems damn cheap to me.
    For the base version with no 3G and limited storage, yes. Add the standard Apple 'UK tax' on to that, and it's over twice as much as a netbook, and still less useful.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanhellyer View Post
    Yes, and it sucks at everything the iPad is good at.
    Does it? I can read books, browse the web and watch videos on my laptop. In fact, I can watch DVDs on my laptop as well.

If I don't need some features on my laptop on a particular day, I just... don't use those features. It's just as portable, and far more flexible.

secure webapps for all Aleksejs's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing to consider is also that it will be überstuffed with all kinds of DRM. So you probably will not be able to listen to any non applestore bought music, watch any non applestore bought videos, read non applestore bought books or install any non approved applications (this last point is arguably a good thing for a clueless computer user in sense that it reduces chances of getting malicious software).

Or maybe I am wrong about this...
    http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...alf-of-drm.ars

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same opinion as about the iPhone. I simply don't like it. I'd prefer a normal laptop or if we are talking about apple - I'd rather like a MacBook Air then this. The keyboard still remains an important feature for me...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The features on these gadgets are nice but they are just to sensitive. I have a touch screen phone and I am so ready to get rid of it. It freezes up all the time.

Fitnow

From space with love silver trophy
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    @Dan. This is what I meant. It is a decent sized screen, approx A4 sized.

If something like that had a keyboard so that it is like a laptop (but with the keyboard being a touch sensitive screen with full sized keys being displayed (so that so have two screens kinda like the Nintendo DS) then you would have a more versatile product which could not get a broken screen (well at least not so easily.

I've got an old portable dvd player where you could turn the screen around 180 and have the screen rest against it but facing towards you (I think I remember seeing a tablet PC that could do that a few years ago in a magazine).

Combine something like that with a blueray player, wi-fi (possibly bluetooth as well), a couple of USB ports, an VGA port for connecting to an external tv or monitor, possibly a RJ45 port for hooking into a wired network. With either an open source (probably linux) or a custom OS without drm or anything locking it down.

The link at near the top of my post is to what is probably considered a very high-end tablet computer but there must be cheaper ones available with reasonable ram, hard drive space, processor speed, etc.

I think that the iPad is more like a pda then a tablet computer.
    Community Team Advisor
    Forum Guidelines: Posting FAQ Signatures FAQ Self Promotion FAQ
    Help the Mods: What's Fluff? Report Fluff/Spam to a Moderator

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    I think it's a real shame they don't want to put OS X on a tablet, that they want their locked down closed environment to spread to computing. The choice of iPhone OS for the tablet was the most disappointing to me. I own some AAPL stock because I thought the company was on a really nice track, but I'm not very happy about this direction. I'm sure it will sell some devices, but I sure hope this isn't a prelude to phasing out OS X this decade like they did OS 9 in the last.

And honestly, I'd never buy a tablet that can't play Flash, because watching Hulu on it would be my #1 use case
    a hardware company with closed source software really makes no sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow the screen is big and it kinda look awkward when used as a mobile phone...
    Don't Panic

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kohoutek View Post
    I'll wait for the second revision, but this is something I'll definitely buy for my mom who has a huge problem holding a laptop while lying down and unable to sit either. This looks like the idea device for people with limited mobility and eyesight!
    I agree - the first release of anything usually has some bugs that can be worked out - but this could be great for those with certain disabilities or for "seniors" who want to do email and photos, listen to music and read books - without the complexity of OSX or Windows to worry about.

No Flash support would be a deal breaker for me - but I like just about everything else I've seen. For those complaining about the CPU...have you seen how quickly it deals with photos and how good the video playback is?

I'm surprised they're sticking with ATT for the data, but would love to see a $30 unlimited data plan w/no contracts made available for other netbooks and laptops.

Steve
    Web Designer or Small Business Owner?
    Need More Leads and More Clients?
    Get Free Marketing Tips, Tricks and Ideas Here!

secure webapps for all Aleksejs's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those interested in "what's inside":
    http://bit.ly/9uzO56

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was a bit sceptical at first but after looking into it I think it's pretty decent the only thing that would bug me would be no flash support.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember the jokes about the microsoft surface (big ass table) now here comes the iPad (big ass phone).

It's a beautiful thing but I can't see it as a lifestyle accessory, it can't replace an ipod (fancy jogging with the thing), can't replace an iphone (now that would be a good look) your iMac does everything else (and I really think most people know which way is up on a laptop) and a 42inch LCD is a much nicer experience for watching movies plus bookshelves looks a lot nicer with books in them (I mean real bookshelves).

So do people really need another Iincarnation? Possibly not but thanks to the magic of Apple persuasion I'm sure many will want one!

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

iPaid??

Meh

Typing this from my iMac (which I adore), also have a Macbook Pro for developing on the go. I imagined this device would be a "fun" and travel device; perhaps a device for demoing to clients which may replace/occasionally substitute the Macbook.

Sadly, no.

The drawbacks have already been mentioned:
    Lack of full (or even usable) OS for my purposes.
    No flash support.
    TINY internal drive options.
    No expandability (no SD is a shame, no USB is just a joke).
    No cam (I wanna Skype!).
    Cannot realistically be used as a storage device.

From what I've seen/read of the specs, I think it is actually too bulky and too heavy - especially given the lack of storage, external media drives and interfaces.

This could have been a product that wowed the world. As it is, once people get over the prettiness, and see the flaws and locked-down nature of the beast, I think it may actually turn out to be Apple TV Mk II - not something that fills me with joy....
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems cool but I don't want it. It seems like an expensive web browser. I would need a real OS on it.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully Apple and the inevitable clones will end up driving the price for a slate form factor down. At $199 or so, it's more affordable to have as a convenience. Leave it on the coffee table to be able to check something on the web real quick. It looks like it'd be nicer to hand someone to show them a webpage than handing over a netbook on a cord.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Time to use the power of Social media to drive a change the ipad name campaign. Hope Apple will responds to customers requirement

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you should not make fun of this....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yawn was my reaction as well. but i'm not apple's target audience either. if i was inclined, i'd want the full OSX on it, not the iphone OS. and I really don't like iTunes, which to me this device seems to be the reason for. the ipad just doesn't have anything to offer for me, that i can't get out of my netbook running Ubuntu (without a data plan to boot).

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this Ipad is a really big failure, in in Europe everybody speaks about it in the negative way. They just can't be always on the top, Steve is human after all

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, i need of more info about iPad
    Please give me more information and live review with video or etc
    Thanks

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wseo View Post
    Hello, i need of more info about iPad
    Please give me more information and live review with video or etc
    Thanks
    Anything else? "iPad video review" or a similar query typed into your favourite search engine will likely give you what you're looking for.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

From space with love silver trophy
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the price quoted on the Apple website for the basic 16B model ($499 USD) that works out at about £311.58. Now ignoring the touch screen access (which might get annoying to use for long things such as sending many emails, writing blog entries, forum posts, etc). For that amount I could get a netbook with a reasonable spec that could be more useful and probably cheaper. The battery life might be a bit shorter but chances are that the battery would be removable you you could just shut down, swap the batteries over and restart.

Has anyone at SitePoint HQ got their hands on one yet? If so, what do they think of it?
    Community Team Advisor
    Forum Guidelines: Posting FAQ Signatures FAQ Self Promotion FAQ
    Help the Mods: What's Fluff? Report Fluff/Spam to a Moderator

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not for sale for another 2 months

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy conradical's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icomefromtexas View Post
    I think this Ipad is a really big failure, in in Europe everybody speaks about it in the negative way. They just can't be always on the top, Steve is human after all
    We need Kanye to say "Europeans don't like the iPad"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by conradical View Post
    We need Kanye to say "Europeans don't like the iPad"
    I'ma let ya finish, but netbooks have the best features of all time. of all time!