User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by browntigga View Post
    If you want you can register the domains listed in the forum post below and sell the product (pictured) below. LOL

Sitepoint Available iPad Domains

hehe very funny.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    spam.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Husky, when you see spam, hit the report button (little exclamation mark), then the message get's delivered to the moderators who can whack it outta the forum

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was quick..!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No flash is a huge let down. Basically, it is just an oversized iPod Touch. What a waste

From space with love silver trophy
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Incompatible ebooks. All the relevant companies need to get their heads together and establish a single standard for ebooks, though I think pdfs do ok as a form of ebook. Lack of flash isn't as bad as no multi tasking.
    Community Team Advisor
    Forum Guidelines: Posting FAQ Signatures FAQ Self Promotion FAQ
    Help the Mods: What's Fluff? Report Fluff/Spam to a Moderator

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a superb gadget and its price makes it more attractive at 500 usd i think its full value for money

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I'm Commander Shepard, and this is
    my favourite post on the internet."

We'll miss you, Dan Schulz.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpacePhoenix View Post
    Multitasking is the main thing that most people probably fault it for, for example they can't be listing to music whilst they are surfing the net, reading an ebook, etc. They would have to use an iPod at the same time.

It would have been better if it had a DVD drive then DVDs could be watched on it, mobile internet is not always cheap.
    You got the fact wrong. It can multitask. You can listen to music and surf the net at the same time. iPhone can do it since first day it came out. What it can't is to run third party apps in background.Apple only allows it's own apps to run in background.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by veikoh View Post
    It's totally Overpriced!!! My Dell Axim X30 which I purchased in 2004 was costing less than 200 pounds then and will cost nowadays something around 50 pounds. It does much more than iPad does.
    That's why you are no Steve Jobs. He mentioned it very clearly that for this category to exist, it must do some tasks much better than a laptop or a smartphone. iPad is not suppose to do more than a laptop. SB said it is suppose to surf internet better than laptop, music and other personal tasks.

padawan silver trophybronze trophy markbrown4's Avatar
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Will the iPhone OS fight against web standards ? Seems like they have created a new proprietry system which they will control with a heavy hand.

I would probably choose the Google tablet if were more inline with the future of the web.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by markbrown4 View Post
    Will the iPhone OS fight against web standards ? Seems like they have created a new proprietry system which they will control with a heavy hand.

I would probably choose the Google tablet if were more inline with the future of the web.
    What proprietry system is Apple using?

If you are talking about Apps, then I will say you can't install Windows app on Mac, Mac apps on Windows, Mac/Win apps on linux, linux apps on Mac/Windows. Are all these apps, including linux apps, closed?

By the way, Apple's take on the web future is open, pushing for HTML 5. Apple is shutting down the proprietary Flash. Why are people offended by this move and claim that Apple is moving towards proprietary system?

Care to explain?

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really don't like touch-screens.

I used to before I actually used one, and found it to be more like gently coaxing the device into doing what I want rather than just doing it. (Incidentally the same feeling I get while using a Mac.)

That added to my inner-OCD psycho who doesn't want greasy streaks on anything reflective.

Must. Polish!

I'll take a pass on this one.

Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaypres View Post
    What proprietry system is Apple using?
    The iPhone OS.
    If you are talking about Apps, then I will say you can't install Windows app on Mac, Mac apps on Windows, Mac/Win apps on linux, linux apps on Mac/Windows. Are all these apps, including linux apps, closed?
    We only really have three choice to develop for at the moment (Mac, Windows, Linux). You can develop for these operating systems with programming languages that are free.

The big difference is that Apple has created a new OS that has the ability to contend in the same place as these other OS's. I think you are underestimating what the iPhone OS is and how important it is for the future of software if you don't recognise this.

To create an iPhone app you need to sign-up for an expensive certification that is limited to the technologies and UI defined by Apple.
    By the way, Apple's take on the web future is open, pushing for HTML 5. Apple is shutting down the proprietary Flash. Why are people offended by this move and claim that Apple is moving towards proprietary system?

Care to explain?
    I personally believe that the open web technologies should win as the future platform of distributed software. I believe in the method of standardisation that the web has - open collaboration with interested people across the planet working together to create something well designed that everyone can use for free.

Apple has created some truly wonderful products that I enjoy daily - but we don't need another platform. The web needs to win as the future platform and people who want to create content or applications for that platform shouldn't need to pay Apple.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The iPhone OS.

To create an iPhone app you need to sign-up for an expensive certification that is limited to the technologies and UI defined by Apple.
    How is one time $99 fee expensive when the programming tool is given to you free? There are also service support to the developer program. All for $99, it's not that expensive, considering that Apple will host your program for sale too.

Apple has created some truly wonderful products that I enjoy daily - but we don't need another platform. The web needs to win as the future platform and people who want to create content or applications for that platform shouldn't need to pay Apple.
    You are right that the web need to win. Apple is pushing 100% for an open web. Google and many others are pushing half heartedly for a full open web. For example, Google could have implemented HTML 5 youtube but is only making it a beta opt in program. It is not easy to push for 100% open web, especially when the current web technology still lags far behind modern OS as we know.
    If Apple use web standard for its iPad, we will have a "JooJoo". Good for internet and nothing else. We can do some simple google docs and that's it. Nothing more can be obtained from web standard compared to the rich environment given by modern OS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by raena View Post
    Very cute raena! Though it's only a proof of concept drawing, not an actual product

That comment is rather absurd, Firstly because the web browser their devices use is Safari, based on probably the most consistently developed and open collaboration rendering engine going... Webkit. If you want closed source with no hope of getting bugs fixed or issues resolved, go with Internet Explorer or Opera (which does keep to standards but doesn't listen to it's community). As for Gecko, Mozilla do a fairly good job but Webkit is leaps and bounds ahead from what I've seen in fast turnarounds on new standards adoption (for an open platform). Secondly your point is rather moot purely on the basis that not supporting Flash is not a sign of it not supporting web standards... Flash is not a web standard (not in the traditional sense), it's not endorsed by any standards body (W3C, ECMA, etc) and it's to a large extent one of the longest running closed platforms there is. Granted Adobe are making it more open but it requires an ActiveX plug-in component, is inaccessible and in many cases unusable (depending on it's use) and like PDF it's filled with exploits, holes and has a very slow turnaround on fixing such issues. If you want the open web, you should be supporting any attempt at dumping Flash in the trash, if you want open you should be looking to advancing stuff like Canvas, SVG, VML, X3D or the other open standards which are attempting to have a plug-in-less environment. Controlling their stuff doesn't make them bad, People use Mac's because they DO control what will work on them which means there are less chances of instability, incompatibility or other stuff, it's the whole selling point of Apple devices.

Another wrong statement, it's hardly "expensive", you can get the certification pack for a one time fee of $99 - nothing more, you can code the application using Objective-C (which is supported by the open source IDE Eclipse - totally free), as for the UI and technologies... all OS's are constrained by the UI being pre-defined, if you have a problem with API's you perhaps should abandon the web and go back to using DOS.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe $99 isn't expensive for you, but perhaps you might consider 3 wasted months of your life expensive when Apple decides not to publish the application you spent $99 for the tools to create.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That may be true Dan, but I assumed markbrown4 was emphasising the cost in terms of the actual physical expense rather than the time expense.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    That comment is rather absurd...
    Umm, you missed my point entirely. I wasn't talking about the #the-freaking-browser. I was talking about #the-freaking-os
    Another wrong statement, it's hardly "expensive"
    Right you are. I was actually opposed to it because there was A fee - More of a philosophical objection. I like to be proved wrong, just don't gloat with completely irrelevant topics like SVG and ECMA
    All OS's are constrained by the UI being pre-defined, if you have a problem with API's you perhaps should abandon the web and go back to using DOS.
    Maybe I'm blurring the lines a bit - but I don't see all too much difference between what the browser will become, and an operating system. The web is free, open and accessible - the iPhone OS is not.

--

Arguments aside, If the browser becomes one of the prominent uses of the iPad and it really is a good browsing experience then this could be a good thing for the web. It could open up the web to a new user base. Personally, I find having to zoom in all the time to read text a pain in the ass - I'd have to play with one before I came down too hard on it though.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You are right that the web need to win. Apple is pushing 100% for an open web. Google and many others are pushing half heartedly for a full open web. For example, Google could have implemented HTML 5 youtube but is only making it a beta opt in program. It is not easy to push for 100% open web, especially when the current web technology still lags far behind modern OS as we know.
    The Google OS philosophy seems to be in line with what I am talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QRO3gKj3qw
    html5 isn't a standard yet, very few features are supported by modern browsers so it's really quite understandable that new features aren't seized upon the minute they are released.
    If Apple use web standard for its iPad, we will have a "JooJoo". Good for internet and nothing else. We can do some simple google docs and that's it. Nothing more can be obtained from web standard compared to the rich environment given by modern OS.
    Of course you are right, the modern operating systems offer a lot more power and features than the modern browser.
    You seem to agree that the future is the web, I think time and energy should be spent in moving this platform forward rather than creating a new one that is designed in the way Apple want it to work, pay Apple to develop it, send to Apple to host it, users to contact Apple to purchase it and so on..
    Off Topic:

One question I have - Can I install Firefox on Chrome OS?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sorry about that, I thought by "web standards" you were implying the browser (as that's the only part of the device which would employ web standards, hence my confusion). The OS may be entirely closed and have a cost associated with it, but as far as the Internet side goes, it can be considered as doing a reasonable job, after all it's using a better mechanism (browser) than most other mobile devices. You won't be able to install Firefox, however I wouldn't complain with using Webkit, we're unlikely to be doing any web development on the device (which is where the FF add-on's come in handy) and Firefox has loads of memory leak issues as it is, I wouldn't want that thing ripping down the performance of the device, I expect neither does Apple.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...You seem to agree that the future is the web, I think time and energy should be spent in moving this platform forward rather than creating a new one that is designed in the way Apple want it to work, pay Apple to develop it, send to Apple to host it, users to contact Apple to purchase it and so on..
    I neutral about the future being web only. I feel that it is alright to have proprietary OS. What is important is that files and standards should be open so that digital materials are platform independent. It is good to have proprietary system if the system is unique, stands out from the rest and benefit people rather than have tying people to the platform like Windows.
    Paying for a good proprietary system is ok. After all, people like to buy things if the things benefit them. This is same for computer systems.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    These guys have just got to me I guess:
    http://www.appcelerator.com/
    http://phonegap.com/