User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Apple's new product - the iPad! Wow

I think it's great. I had heard tons about it but thought this would be some useless gadget that was awfully nice to play with and little else.

Seeing it made me change my mind. Especially for older or otherwise handicapped people who can't sit for long, have bad eyesight but are book nerds, or just generally avid readers, this might really be a much better alternative to the Kindle or similar devices.

I'll wait for the second revision, but this is something I'll definitely buy for my mom who has a huge problem holding a laptop while lying down and unable to sit either. This looks like the idea device for people with limited mobility and eyesight!

http://www.apple.com/ipad/
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The name sounds like a highly-sophisticated feminine napkin.

Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

Barefoot on the Moon! silver trophy Force Flow's Avatar
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    *yawn*
    Visit The Blog | Follow On Twitter
    301tool 1.1.5 - URL redirector & shortener (PHP/MySQL)
    Can be hosted on and utilize your own domain

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    more like idontcare

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'iPad'. Apple should inform Indians that it is not related to farting.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ankit7 View Post
    'iPad'. Apple should inform Indians that it is not related to farting.

What? Oh dear. Well, that definitely does put a new spin on things.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want you can register the domains listed in the forum post below and sell the product (pictured) below. LOL

Sitepoint Available iPad Domains

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, tee hee feminine products. This tweet made me laugh.

Asides from that, what do you think of the actual device?
    "I'm Commander Shepard, and this is
    my favourite post on the internet."

We'll miss you, Dan Schulz.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My question to you guys is: Is it going to get rid of laptops?

Right now yeah features are limited but in the future there will be other major companies creating products like these and there would be better features.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt it's going to replace the laptop, but I do believe it could become a very interesting device for consumers who use a netbook or laptop for lighter tasks such as surfing the web, checking emails and the like. I think the ebook devices and low-end laptops as well as netbooks could be facing signifiicant competition sooner rather than later.

It's also quite handy to travel with, much more convenient than using a laptop, I'd like to think.

For greater tasks, I don't think laptops will be obsolete any time soon, just like desktops still have their place for heavy-duty tasks.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's a real shame they don't want to put OS X on a tablet, that they want their locked down closed environment to spread to computing. The choice of iPhone OS for the tablet was the most disappointing to me. I own some AAPL stock because I thought the company was on a really nice track, but I'm not very happy about this direction. I'm sure it will sell some devices, but I sure hope this isn't a prelude to phasing out OS X this decade like they did OS 9 in the last.

And honestly, I'd never buy a tablet that can't play Flash, because watching Hulu on it would be my #1 use case

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by browntigga View Post
    If you want you can register the domains listed in the forum post below and sell the product (pictured) below. LOL

Sitepoint Available iPad Domains

Your picture look so funny

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out what I found right now: LOL MadTV made a video about iPad back in 2005.

MadTV - The New iPad

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by browntigga View Post
    My question to you guys is: Is it going to get rid of laptops?
    I think for a certain market or purpose, it might. There's nothing in Apple's lineup that is truly low cost/casual use, like a netbook.

For iPhone users, this is a nice familiar netbook-esque product you might buy just to pootle around on Facebook on the couch, or read blogs, or whatever it is you might want. This is a purpose that the MacBook line is really a bit too overpowered/overpriced for. So as kohoutek said, basically.
    "I'm Commander Shepard, and this is
    my favourite post on the internet."

We'll miss you, Dan Schulz.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    From what I have read about it so far it seems more like a big phone than a small computer.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

From space with love silver trophy
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt that I'd buy any tablet type device. One thing that would be on my list of requirements if I was considering buying a tablet device would be if your restricted as to what apps you can install. Just having a quick glance at the specs, it mentions having an iTunes Store account as a requirement so possibly it is locked down to the apps that they approve.

For video playback, I'm not sure if I would want to be staring at a 9.7" screen for watching a 2hr film. I think that typing on the screen would end up being a pain, especially if you was sending lots of emails, there is a dock-able keyboard. I think that if I had to choose between a netbook or a tablet PC i would prefer a netbook.

I think that any tablet computer screen will be more prone to breaking when they are being transported around unless they have a strong enough cover. It lists the flash drive sizes as being "16GB, 32GB, or 64GB" for a multimedia device i would have expected it to use the same size hard drives as they use in the iPod classic instead of the flash and be at least 120GB in size.

For me the iPad seems more like a "king sized" iPhone. I think a tablet computer should be more like them ones seen in the tv series "Stargate Atlantis" (like the kind that Rodney uses). Ok they would be more bulky but would have enough room for a full sized keyboard to be docked to them.
    Community Team Advisor
    Forum Guidelines: Posting FAQ Signatures FAQ Self Promotion FAQ
    Help the Mods: What's Fluff? Report Fluff/Spam to a Moderator

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

secure webapps for all Aleksejs's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dan, as a stock owner you might at least be happy about how the stock is doing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the idea, not the execution.

Lack of built-in USB support, flash and multi-tasking is a deal-killer for me.

Chances are, if I was using something like that I'd want to be able to listen to an MP3 whilst browsing the web, this thing presumably can't do that due to the lack of Multi-tasking support. YouTube recently announced HTML5 video tag support, so the lack of Flash will not affect YouTube per se, but there's a lot of sites I'm likely to want to visit which will use Flash videos. Lack of support for that would infuriating.

They're going to need to upgrade the iPad dramatically before the Chrome Tablets arrive or they're going to get slaughtered in the market place IMO.

Still ... it's the nicest tablet I've seen so far. I just think they're going to struggle against Chrome OS once it's released; price wise, performance wise and feature wise, unless they make some fundamental changes.

I definitely intend to purchase a tablet of some sort in the future to replace my aging Asus eee PC, but this iPad isn't up to scratch for my purposes.

Ability to run a local web server would be nice too But I doubt I'll be getting that unless I buy a tablet with a full-blown OS unfortunately (which I wouldn't buy, since it kinda defeats the purpose).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksejs View Post
    Dan, as a stock owner you might at least be happy about how the stock is doing
    Up what, 1%? Essentially unchanged. It was dropping quick as everyone was underwhelmed, and only just made it above the opening price when the low price point was announced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure how I feel about it yet. I was joking with my brother that the iPad nano is already out: its the iTouch.

Having office seems kinda cool, but I mean, you'd want a laptop for that.

secure webapps for all Aleksejs's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dan, I hate those charts!
    Did not pay attention to the scale.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it looks great! and would very much like one!

Or is that me just being a sucker for apples inevitably slick product design.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Stormrider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it looks pretty terrible. Only a 1GHz CPU, no USB, no Flash, no multi tasking, no HDMI, no removable storage, non-removable battery, incredibly expensive.

Hell, even my XPS laptop was cheaper, and comes with all of the above, and a keyboard, dvd writer, remote control, can multi task, and 320gb of storage.

Combine that with one of the most underwhelming product launches I have ever seen, basically demonstrating that it can scroll and click and view the web.

I really don't think these will sell that well at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormrider View Post
    I think it looks pretty terrible. Only a 1GHz CPU
    So? Why would it need anything faster? All it does is browser the web, play videos, run galleries etc.

no USB, no Flash, no multi tasking
    Yah, that's silly.

no HDMI
    Don't you need a connector for it work with VGA anyway? So you could use an HDMI connector anyway couldn't you? ... I'm not sure if that would work or not, I don't know much about such things, just wondering.

no removable storage, non-removable battery
    Yeah, and SD card reader and removable battery would be good, but that's regular Apple crap. They suck at providing stuff that everybody else has been providing since day nought. Heck, most iPod's still don't have FM radios built in!

incredibly expensive.
    Huh? It's US$499! That seems damn cheap to me.

Hell, even my XPS laptop was cheaper, and comes with all of the above, and a keyboard, dvd writer, remote control, can multi task, and 320gb of storage.
    Yes, and it sucks at everything the iPad is good at.

I really don't think these will sell that well at all.
    Depends on how you define 'well' I guess. I can't imagine it'll sell as well as iPhone or iPod, but I'd have guessed better than iTouch.

I think you are totally missing the point of the device. It's not a replacement for a laptop. It's a superior alternative for when you don't need some of the features of your regular laptop.

If I had money to burn I'd definitely buy one before getting the chance to upgrade to a Chrome Tablet. I'm not wealthy enough to blow US$500 on something I'll likely be replacing about six months or so after I bought it.