User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Various advertising related questions

Hey everyone

A few questions. The first one is that we opened a site (launched it) one week ago. Our traffic is around 20-30Kpv's/month. Is this decent? I've basically submitted the site to search engines, plugged it a couple of times and done some PPC stuff (not too much).

Next, I'm thinking we could open an affiliate program (for the hosting company) and wondering if anyone has had any experience running these and what good companies are to go with for small-ish affiliate programs (CJ would cost us nearly 1K/month without sales and even more per sale). What are good rates to offer affiliates, etc?
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day!

I'd say it would be hard to make a profit with a content site with less than 100,000 page views per month. I am struggling along at 60,000 per month and haven't yet paid for my hosting costs.

However, I have no idea which site you're referring to. If it is a webmaster related site then you'll do a fair bit better because you can target well. If it is a web host then this is a fantastic amount of traffic but I assume this is not the one you mean.

By the way, who did you do the PPC stuff with, how much were the clicks you bought and are you happy with the results? I did some a while ago but realised it wasn't too cost effective for my type of site. I worked out how much each (targetted) visitor was worth to me.
    Last edited by mmj; Jun 28, 2002 at 08:03.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is pretty good growth after 1 week, but like mmj said thats not really enough to get a monthly check.

What type of site it is will have a large impact on your income potential though. For instance 30k a month to a shopping directory would be pretty good and bring in good money, assuming you're an affiliate with every store listed. On the other hand 30k a month for a site about dog care, well that wouldn't bring in as much.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's BareFooting, I didn't want to put a link in since I spend half my day removing them from similar posts by other people.

Anyways, I've done some work with AdWords Select. A dozen click throughs for a buck each resulted in 3 buys of 30$/quarter.

I guess the majority of the question (besides "how's the traffic") is about starting an affiliate program... What companies are good and how would I go about it. What is required, what constitutes a good affiliate partnership, etc...

Any help and advice really is appreciated

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well thats pretty good traffic for an e-commerce site. Of course if it is a week old you don't really have monthly statistics, you can only extrapolate, and since I know you've mentioned that site in a few places, and it was mentioned in the community crier (indirectly) you may have more traffic now then you would normally.

Congratulations though, it sounds like it's doing good.

You could start an affiliate program by yourself if you wanted. Offer an account credit to members who refer someone to you, pretty easy to setup with your members database. That way you don't have to worry about payment or any other hassles, all you have to do is credit current accounts.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I realise that, and the recent ALA article helped a lot as well. It's not really "normal" traffic, but I think it will stay at that level as people recommend friends and becuase of our activity level around the Net.

We already have a "referral program" (sign up, we give you an ID, every 5 customers you bring in you get a free account). I guess that is "easier" for us, but it isn't really easier for affiliates, is it? Not really sure, but if that really is enough...