User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

getElementsByID Question...

Hey,

I have dynamically named elements and I was wondering if jquery has a way of using a wildcard so I can create a var dynamically for an form id element that is chosen by a visitor. For instance, if I have 10 submit buttons with different names, I can take action by using this syntax:

$("#[id^=button_name_]").click(function() {

the _ prefix allows me to assign a dynamic number to the name so as long as one of those forms is submitted, I am guaranteed the ability to perform an action. Well, it got me to thinking "Can I do this with capturing values of dynamic elements?

Imagine I want to get the value of an ID but I won't know the name ahead of time. All I will know is that out of 10 records, the ID's will be named:

element_id_1
    element_id_2
    element_id_10

Can I do something (forgive the pseudo code) like this to capture it?

getElementbyID("^=element_id_")?

The goal is to create a var that represents a dynamically selected ID with a dynamic name generated from looping through a db. Is this possible in jquery?

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought:

What if I did something like this:

var arr = new Array();
    arr = document.getElementsByName( "element_id" );

Would I then be able to set a var for the array that *does* have a value? This way (I am using form elements) I can set a value for the one selected element and not carry the value of 9 others who have 0 value/empty value.

How do you do that in javascript?

rajug.replace('Raju Gautam'); bronze trophy Raju Gautam's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't you like this?
    Code javascript:
    var eles = $("input[name^=my_element_]");
    alert(eles.length);
    And/or loop with jquery.each.
    Mistakes are proof that you are trying.....
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    PSD to HTML - SlicingArt.com | Personal Blog | ZCE - PHP 5

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That doesn't quiet work (it's because I didn't properly explain my situation). I should be more clear. Here is what I have:

I have radio buttons but they work differently (I know it's not conventional but I will skip past that as it is discussed in another thread).

They appear as such:

Code:
    <li id="checkbox5_3"><a href="javascript:upny_captVote('choice_3', 'checkbox5_3', '109');"><span>Hey, Why Not?!</span></a></li>
    For the sake of making sense of it all, let's just say it *does* work as our site wants it now but the goal is to know when that element checkbox is selected

I have an included .js file with functions that can read it but I want to be
    able to do it from another file that handles the jquery (long story)

I want to simulate a function like this which exists in a another .js file:

Code:
    function upny_EleObjs(e) { if(typeof(e)=='string') { if(document.getElementById) { e=document.getElementById(e); } else if(document.all) { e=document.all[e]; } else { e=null; } } return e; }
    Then call it such as:

var v=upny_EleObjs(hiddeninput_id).value;
    alert (v);

The trick is getting the 'hiddeninput_id) to be the <li> that is selected.

Everything else I have works. It's just that this value, having it as a var that I can work with, would make it even more powerful. Does this help explain my situation better? I apologize for not being clearer earlier and I do thank you, again, for your time.

PS. In case you are curious, the reason I want the var of that selected <li> checkbox is because I can pass it to my other functions easily (once I have the var) to do background work which would allow a more efficient operation. While the site can work without it, it would save a ton of time. I just can't quite figure out how to get it to work without hiddeninput_id being 'undefined' or getting 'undefined' popups when I try from scratch to do it.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is what I have. It alerts the first instance, not the one
    that is attached to the one that is selected.

window.alert($('input[name=li_choice]').val());

For each <li> element I have attached a hidden field (trying something new)
    to see if I could get that to work. The hidden field attached to each <li> checkbox is:

<input type="hidden" name="li_choice" value="<?=$cid;?>">

Possible? Or is there a better way? That is all I am looking to do. Ty, again.

PS. To grab the li itself I have tried:

window.alert($('input[name^=checkbox_]:checked').val());

But since it is itself not 'input' it alerts (undefined)

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ignore the 2 posts above, please:

I apologize for another post, I am not able to edit the above 2 (I wanted to delete them)

I thought about this some more and realize all I want, if possible, is this:

Each survey I have has a hidden field (question_id)
    I just want to identify which one was chosen at that given time.

<input type="hidden" name="question_id" value="4">

For instance, that is what would appear for one of the surveys, where Question ID = 4

If that one is the hidden field in the 'survey' selected, how does jquery recognize that and ignore the other hidden fields that are blank?

Thanks