SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Putting a homes magazine online

I am working with a company that publishes a monthly Homes Magazine that lists available Real Estate in the area. It is a large magazine and very successful (usually 220 pages). We are talking about putting it online.

We design the pages in Adobe PageMaker (though we are switching to Quark in a few months). Is there a way to convert a document in PageMaker with multiple rows of photos and text boxes into an HTML document that will look nice on the web?

Does anyone have any experience with online real estate pages? Would we be better off to create a database that lists each of the homes so that it is searchable by price range and location? I know that would require a lot of programming.

Any advice is greatly appreciated and if you know of any examples, please let me know.

Thanks!

Jeremy

SitePoint Evangelist azizur_rahman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone have any experience with online real estate pages? Would we be better off to create a database that lists each of the homes so that it is searchable by price range and location? I know that would require a lot of programming.
    It may take time to program and it may require programming .. but think of long term accomplishments... if you are going to upgrade to Quark it has functionality to publish to web.... but that will not allow user to search the site with constrain say for example someone might want to look at the houses that are in certain price range... or that have somehting they want... normal web search will not have such constrain... thats where the data base comes...

plus Quark can read XML which mean you'd be able generate XML from databse in the info ready for publishing without haveing to retype or copying existing information and so.. on, (I've not tired importing XML into Quark yet but I've read they have pretty good support for it...

Good Luck.
    Azizur Rahman
    Web Application Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One issue already have 220 pages ... you need a database soln if you're going to manage many issues online

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drop me an email and I'll send you a complete program for selling realestate,you may wish to modify it but its all there.