User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need help with resume...

Hello Everyone;
    I have always been a self-employed guy, but now am looking for something more stable and need help with my resume. This is my first time job-hunting and writing a resume. I am using the "theme" from monster.com but would like some feedback, anything I could do different, add, or take out.
    Resume can be found here: http://www.epixelmedia.com/JR.doc

Thanks,
    Jeff
    -Fast, Reliable Solutions-
    http://www.ePixelMedia.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jeff,

The overall layout of the resume is nice. There are a few things that I might suggest.

(1) Proofread the entire resume. Be sure to use complete sentences and correct punctuation.

For example:
    "A company that will teach me and assist me in acquiring my goals." is not a complete sentence. It shouldn't be used in a resume because it gives the impression that you are unprofessional.

There are also a few places in which you have missing or misplaced commas.

(2) Add at least one more reference, possibly two. This will help a possible employer to more accurately verify your credibility, especially since you have no previous employer. It isn't vital, but it could help to use references who hold high-ranking or prestigious jobs.

(3) It would most likely be to your advantage to list your Desired Salary as Negotiable. As an employer, I would be a bit stunned that someone who had never had a job before was asking for $12/hour, regardless of their skillset. In reality, your starting pay is likely to be much less but that may not be the case in your situation.

Hope this helps!

Jason
    Jason Bradley
    Post your project and receive FREE bids from professionals!
    naSnap Freelance Marketplace

morphine for a wooden leg randem's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's hard to read. The font is a bit small, and the tables distract the eye.

Your skills list more than your experience seems to indicate. Many employers compare the experience and skills sections to see if you can show that you know what you say you know. Try giving an indication of what skills were used, where, and how they were used in the description of each position under experience.

Most people I've talked to agree that resumes are more effective when you take out the objective section. There's a logic behind that: why bother telling me you want a job in graphics design for an internet company? If you apply for a job with me, I know what you applied for.

Take the desired salary off. Completely. Unless you have experience and/or credentials, you really have very little room to dictate your worth. There are (most likely) hundreds of other people applying for the same job. Furthermore, some people will not pay what you want and you won't be considered. Others may be willing to offer twice as much (or more!) but will pass you up because you "can't be very good at that rate".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has some serious compatibility issues with OpenOffice.org. Everything seems to be there, but the formatting makes it look quite wierd, and the font size seems to go up and down randomly.

(These are what I noticed running OOo 1.0 on Windows XP.)