User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tke71709 View Post

It's not the "most people" that are the problem.
    Quite right this statement
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've never encountered anything that extreme before, but you can usually tell who the insane people are before you take up the project (behaviour analysis is something I've quickly adapted to after years of moderating chat rooms filled with script kiddies and nut-jobs). That and I'm not easily intimidated and probably crazy enough to counter anything they throw at me, when someone really makes me mad (on the rare occasion) I would probably appear more scary than them

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope that it will not work for all your net stuff. only the mails can be delivered. the normal address will work far better.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having had some friends get stung buying concert tickets online, I recommend people never buy anything from a site which fails to list its address and telephone number. I actually go further and advise that they check both the whois record and the record at companies house (in the UK, both easy to do in seconds online).

There are simply too many scam businesses out there not to make these checks. The last one I can across was an "English" concert tickets site who's domain was registered to a PO box in Canada.

Datura, your situation sucks - sorry to hear it

Alex - I use a SkypeIn number for my business and it works really well for me. It also means I can be "at the phone" when I'm mooching around in hot sunny places
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the record, there are squillions of "virtual" office providers in the UK and have been for decades. Currently popular ones:

http://virtualoffices.mwbex.com/pack...ages-mail.html
    http://www.mbe.co.uk/featured.aspx?id=17
    http://www.thehotoffice.com/

Some offer services where you can actually physically be there and "hot desk" with others using the service. Some will handle mail in and out for you. The possibilities are endless. Running a business without a physical address in the UK is not actually legal.

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOriginalH View Post
    Datura, your situation sucks - sorry to hear it
    Yep. The price we pay to live where we live
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOriginalH View Post
    Some offer services where you can actually physically be there and "hot desk" with others using the service. Some will handle mail in and out for you. The possibilities are endless. Running a business without a physical address in the UK is not actually legal.
    Really? That's interesting, I run my business from home (as a freelancer) and all of my work is done virtually (via the web). Under that terms (according to both Business Link and Inland Revenue) I was told that my home didn't qualify as an "office" (as my equipment and place of work is used in equal measure for non-work practices) and as my work is conducted using the Internet, my office is technically deemed as virtual (my website). According to this while I have a physical address (where I live), there's no physical address for my work and I've never had any question over the legality of it from the government.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on how you are running your business. If you are planning on earning over 70k a year as a business (not a tall order), it makes sense to establish a ltd company, and in order to do that, yes, a physical registered address is a legal requirement: http://www.bytestart.co.uk/content/1...-address.shtml

If you are operating as a sole trader, your physical address should be present on any invoices to ensure that the inland revenue is able to verify your tax returns - and that address should be lodged with them. You don't need a registered business address per se, but it amounts to the same thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm a sole trader but I don't really consider it in the same respects as a physical address of business. When I file my tax return with my income statements (and the documentation required) I of course have my address listed but that's tied to me as an individual earning through my own means rather than the business itself having an independent address. I know we're picking holes here but I've never considered them in the same respect from a sole trader to a Ltd company. Sole traders trade under their own name (often with a brand to represent them - as the business name) but Ltd businesses have more of an official status in respect to a fixed business address (which as you noted is required to be placed on invoices). As for me, I've not bothered to go Ltd as my business running costs are exceptionally low and I'm very careful about separating business from personal earnings. I get the benefits of limited liability but as things stand the extra hassle and paperwork isn't right for my situation. As an interesting side note, I was a director of an Ltd when I was 16 (my business partner couldn't keep the pace up so I resigned to go it solo)