SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to add an ad to a web-page?

Hi,

I am going to have a web-site and my web-designers are
    worried that if the user changes the view/text-size of the browser then the size of the banner will change. They have
    the following question:

I looked at the code of the banner you sent us that will
    appear at the top of your web site. The reason the font
    changes is because in their code, the banner company does
    not use CSS which would fix the size of the font without
    allowing the user to control that.

If the company sends you the banner in a code that can be
    manipulated by adding CSS then it means we can control the
    size of the font and will need to do it for each new banner.

What is important for us to know is what format they use to send you the code for the banner. Please send us a sample of their code they way it will be sent to you so we can get a better idea of whether or not this is possible.

Thanks,
    David

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I don't see the question?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Text size and resolution will always make a page look wierd. I gave up on adjusting to all text sizes and resolution especially if the site has alot of small images. I just target the most common resolution and medium size text.
    But yeah, like whats the quesion?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the question is:

Why did he hire designers that do not seem to have a clue how HTML works ?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hope the question is clear now

Hope this version of the question is clear.

My web-site is under construction; it will have ads at the top of the page and at a right cell. I do not know HTML or CSS and my web-designer uses CSS in such a way that it will be easy to me to embed the HTML code that advertisers provide.

The designer is worried that if the user changes the view/text-size of the browser then the size of the banner - assuming it is not a GIF but it contains text - will change. I told him that the size of the banner must be fixed, for example: 468x60, no matter what is the setting in the browser.

What exactly do the ad /network companies send?

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You put a link in your page. This link goes to ad company server.

They then are responsible for actually sending a GIF file (usually). They tell you how big it is going to be, but you can control the size as well by adding properties to your IMG tag. No matter what the ad company sends, it will paint on your page with the dimaensions you specify. I usually do not specify the sizes, but others may disagree. Very straitforward, and it is totally unaffecting by users seleting large FONTS (not images, FONTS).

If you are paying this designer, get a new one because they have NO CLUE what they are doing. This is an HTML 101 level question, and should not be an issue for anyone who is charging you. IMHO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by galt
    You put a link in your page. This link goes to ad company server.

They then are responsible for actually sending a GIF file (usually). They tell you how big it is going to be, but you can control the size as well by adding properties to your IMG tag. No matter what the ad company sends, it will paint on your page with the dimaensions you specify. I usually do not specify the sizes, but others may disagree. Very straitforward, and it is totally unaffecting by users seleting large FONTS (not images, FONTS).
    This pretty much sums it up.

Originally posted by galt
    If you are paying this designer, get a new one because they have NO CLUE what they are doing. This is an HTML 101 level question, and should not be an issue for anyone who is charging you. IMHO.
    I agree. An experienced designer should know about this and even a general understanding of how ad networks/affiliate programs work.