SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How the...? - A CSS Question

I am using CSS to make a page. My only problem is that when I switch to another resoultion or shrink the window all my CSS positioned elements go wacky on me. How can I make an image stay in the exact same place regardless of resolution or screen size or how can I get everything to stay positioned correctly with regards to resolution or browser window size? Thanks!

JRF2k
    Man can learn nothing except by going from the known to the the unknown. -- Claude Bernard

SitePoint Zealot lightwithoutheat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmm...

When using CSS for positioning, your page elements shouldn't change their position according to screen resolution, that is, unless you are using percentages somehow along with <div's>.

I've used CSS2 for a long time and have never ran into this (common?) problem. A sample of your code is pretty much necessary in order for anyone to properly help you.

Let's see some code,

J.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uh huh, some code would be good

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, here's the link to the page itself. If you view this in 800x600 everything looks great and is where it should be, but move up to 1024x768 and the menu part invades the box where the main content will go.

http://www.johnrfloyd.com/testing/testcss.htm

My style sheet is as follows:

Code:
    body {position: relative; background: url(ryoko2a.gif) no-repeat fixed; margin: 0; padding: 0;}

div#links{position: relative; top: 81px; left:630px; width: 100px; height:700px; z-index:100;}

div#links a {display: block;
    text-align: center; padding: 5px 10px; margin: 0 0 1px; border-width: 0; 
    text-decoration: none; color: #FFC; background: #444;
    border-left: 5px solid #505050; }

div#links a:hover {color: #411; background: #AAA; border-left: 5px double white;}

div#links a span{display: none;}

div#links a:hover span{display: block; position: absolute; top: 180px; left:-8; width:125px;
    padding: 5px; margin: 10px; z-index: 100; color: #AAA; background: black;}

div#content {position: absolute; top: 26px; left: 200px; right: 120px; color: #BAA; 
    background: #22233F; border: solid 5px #444; }
    How can I get the menu to stay the same place regardless of resolution or screen size? Thanks!

JRF2k
    Man can learn nothing except by going from the known to the the unknown. -- Claude Bernard

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't forget about me :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i havnt tested this but try replacing

div#links{position: relative; top: 81px; left:630px; width: 100px; height:700px; z-index:100;}

with
    div#links{position: relative; top: 81px; right 20px; width: 100px; height:700px; z-index:100;}

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for you suggestions. I did that and it puts the menu on the far left now instead of on the right side.

J.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I changed it to right: -989; and that got it to where it needed to be but it won't stay there if I got to 800x600. It keeps moving. Is there a way to make my bordered area static so it will stay the same size and not grow or shrink?

J.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm

div#links{position: absolute; top: 81px; right 20px; width: 100px; height:700px; z-index:100;}

try that :0)

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still no go.