SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ram boosting programs

have you seen those programs that claim to boost/free up your ram? Do they work or is it a hoax?

I sometimes use MemTurboII, but can rarely see a difference.
    Free Science Homework Help
    http://www.physicsforums.com

Xbox why have you forsaken me? moospot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These used to be good back in the days before Windows 95, but now they are basically garbage. Windows can manage your memory just fine by itself.

gingham dress, army boots... silver trophy redux's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i found that the free stuff from http://www.analogx.com/contents/download.htm is pretty decent. moospot is right...since i switched from 98 to 2k i didn't have any major issues. however, if you really want to squeeze every last byte of memory, MaxMem is quite easy to use http://www.analogx.com/contents/down...tem/maxmem.htm
    re·dux (adj.): brought back; returned. used postpositively
    [latin : re-, re- + dux, leader; see duke.]
    WaSP Accessibility Task Force Member
    splintered.co.uk | photographia.co.uk | redux.deviantart.com

..back with a vengeance... Ingoal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm..

Originally posted by moospot
    These used to be good back in the days before Windows 95, but now they are basically garbage. Windows can manage your memory just fine by itself.

Well, Windows can manage your memory just fine ?? Well, thatīs partly true, each windows version besides Windows ME that is....!

If you are running win ME you should consider using "Rambooster", it works pretty good...you can download it at www.download.com , just search for "Rambooster"...
    Advisor - Community Team
    CHD-magician + + =
    Some of my sites: [1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10]
    Newest site: ZZ.GD - t dsn't gt mch shrtr thn tht

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my opinion, it defeats the purpose of clearing up memory by adding *more* programs running the background.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just buy more ram. Its dirt cheap, literally dirt cheap.

The catridges for your printer probably cost more than the ram inside your machine.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mjames
    In my opinion, it defeats the purpose of clearing up memory by adding *more* programs running the background.
    One must look at the end result, though Marc. RamBooster, for example, takes only a couple of megs to run, yet can free up as much as 70% of your system memory ... I would say that's definitely worth it -- two megs for 96 megs -- not a bad trade off.

-Colin
    Colin Anderson
    Ambition is a poor excuse for those without
    sense enough to be lazy.

..back with a vengeance... Ingoal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indeed...

Originally posted by Aes
    One must look at the end result, though Marc. RamBooster, for example, takes only a couple of megs to run, yet can free up as much as 70% of your system memory ... I would say that's definitely worth it -- two megs for 96 megs -- not a bad trade off.

-Colin
    True true, besides the other dudes got a good point: a software, as effective as it might be, canīt replace hardware. I guess there will be no discussion that a system with 512MB will run smoother than one with 256 MB ....besides RAM and especially DDR are really really cheap these days...

Besides another effect of windows: itīs not only the RAM that is full all the time (ME)...but the system ressources itself...and thereīs no program that can clear those out for you....

So...bottom line: best way to have a smooth windows system is to have a decent win os (like 2k or XP) and enough RAM...
    Advisor - Community Team
    CHD-magician + + =
    Some of my sites: [1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10]
    Newest site: ZZ.GD - t dsn't gt mch shrtr thn tht

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Aes

-Colin
    End result or not, one more program will slow my computer down to some extent, whether in startup load time or shutdown time, not to mention having one more program gives you just one more program that can crash your system. No matter what they promise, I'll never use these programs. If you want to, be my guest.

As Ingoal said, if you have 2K or XP, you don't need these silly programs as Windows does a fine job by itself.