User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question The bottom border of my "box" isn't showing

So many questions . . .
    For some reason, the bottom of my "box" border isn't showing up in IE6. I see it in Netscape 6.2 & 7. Here is the page in question: http://www.exiesuniverse.com/newsCSS5.html
    I've gone through and checked my div tags, and I believe I've closed them all. Does anybody see anything wrong?

morphine for a wooden leg randem's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IE only seems to render as much of a canvas as is necessary to show the contents of all elements. Try putting a <p>&nbsp;</p> after the </div> tag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have a number of typos in your page--look at your meta tag for copyright for starters. You also have incorrectly nested tags. And I can't find the closing tag to your <div id="content">. It might be there but your code is hard to read so I didn't spend a ton of time trying to locate it.

If you have a formatting tool, I would recommend using it to clean up this code. Then run it through a validator to double check your work.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris, thanks for your "help". Why don't you give me an idea what typo I have in copyright because I just can't see it. I haven't proofed the rest, I'm just formatting now and want to get all my code straight before I upgrade the entire site.

I don't understand how complicated you think my code is. There's really not that much there other than links, and the styles I'm using. Its fairly simple to me. I get too confused so I try to keep it simple. Again, do you have an example?

Also, the page DOES validate for CSS! Test it at w3c.org yourself if you don't believe me.

Randem, I did as you suggested, but it just added more space at the bottom inside the border. Sigh, I may just give up if I can't find the solution.

P.S. I appreciate all the help, and CONSTRUCTIVE criticism I get.
    Last edited by exiesUniverse; Jun 25, 2002 at 12:00.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    exies...

I think he was referring more to the difficulty in reading your code. It's not that complex, it's just that you have no visual formatting (indents, line breaks where needed, etc).

I've found a few problems too.

-= In your Copyright Meta tag, you quote "misc". This effectively terminates the opening quote for CONTENT. Use single quotes around misc instead of double quotes.

-= In your stylesheet, you've got comment tags as if the stylesheet was embedded. These are unnecessary in an external CSS file and in fact, can cause difficulties in some browsers. A CSS file should contain only style declarations.

-= You can use shorthand to specify your border properties like so: border: solid #FFFFFF 3px; That way you won't have to type all the border properties for each side of a box. The same goes for margin and padding.

I tried for about 2 minutes to solve your problem. I can't get seem to get a space in there at all. I'll ask around.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That helps some, I definitely want to clean up my layout before I change all my pages. I forgot about the double quotes vs. single quotes. And I'm still confused about the difference between linking to an external stylesheet and using "import".

I am trying to learn using w3c.org, but its not always the easiest to understand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't use the W3C website. That would like trying to learn English by reading a dictionary.

Use www.w3schools.com or www.richinstyle.com instead.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

eureka!

By playing around with the coding, I found where to change to get the bottom border to show. The height (shown below) I changed from 700 to 1600, and it fits the bottom border in:

DIV#links {
    z-index: 100;
    position: absolute;
    left: 0px;
    top: 50px;
    width: 100px;
    height: 1600px;
    font: 14px trebuchet ms, times new roman, serif;
    }

The only problem now is these settings don't fit all pages. For most they are too long. I end up with lots of space below the bottom margin. Does anyone know how to make this height adjustable/variable to fit each page?

And thanks for the links to w3schools & richinstyle. I have w3schools bookmarked, but forgot what a great resource it is!