SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Site not showing AT ALL in Internet Explorer!

My site has been up and running for a few days now, and suddenly internet explorer morphed it! It's just showing one picture, and the bg color....Not AT ALL what the website looks like in FF. It's pretty much just blank in IE!

Still works FINE in FireFox! What gives?

the site is http://www.smooth-fx.com

My html and css is not the cleanest...but it just doesn't make any sense!

Does anyone see anything I don't see???

PS. I'm using dreamweaver, and godaddy if this makes a difference (called godaddy and they said it was probably my coding).

Thanks!

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you html is not valid.

it has 84 errors. it also shows you have some missing tags.

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...Inline&group=0

vineet

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea you should clean up your code significantly

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are forcing IE into quirksmode and that creates all sorts of unwanted results in rendering. Like others have already noted, cleaning up your code is the first step to take. You will also want to use a valid doctype to avoid throwing IE into quirksmode - you currently have none. After having done those two things, you'll likely not encounter the issues you currently have.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

SitePoint Guru Chroniclemaster1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    95% of the time, I find that if I'm getting cross-browser errors it's ALL because of invalid XHTML or invalid CSS. Occasionally you run into true browser incompatibilities, but all the horror stories you hear are from the horrific days of the browser wars. Those days are long gone, and most of the time it's just because you've shot yourself in the foot.

You can minimize this with a little prelaunch testing. When I complete any page on my dev box and am ready to FTP it up to the live site, I change the filename slightly before I upload so that it doesn't integrate with the rest of the site (I throw a tilde, ~, in front of the filename, e.g. ~MyPageName.html).

Once the page is uploaded, I can validate it at W3C, http://validator.w3.org/. Nothing works as well, though it does get confused after the first error. If your page has errors, then correct the first error one on your dev box. Then FTP the new copy up and revalidate. You may be amazed how many of the other errors disappear. Repeat until you've weeded all the problems out. Then I drop the ~ which takes the page live.

After you've done this three or four times, you'll be amazed how few errors you have to fix. This may be the best way to learn XHTML. I still follow this procedure just to be sure I've gotten everything. I believe that either (1) you know of no errors in your code or (2) you know there are no errors. So I test.
    Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it.
    Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now.

Chroniclemaster1, Founder of Earth Chronicle
    A Growing History of our Planet, by our Planet, for our Planet.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greatly appreciate the feedback and suggestions! Cleaned up some of the errors, and it's working in both browsers now. Obviously not perfect, yet, but will do for the short term!

SitePoint Guru Chroniclemaster1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea!

When things are less crazy go back and clean them up. It's not just about having "pristine" code. They're things you don't know about XHTML, ie mistakes that you're going to make a hundred more times in your next page if you don't take the time to learn them now.
    Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it.
    Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now.

Chroniclemaster1, Founder of Earth Chronicle
    A Growing History of our Planet, by our Planet, for our Planet.