SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast AndrewGardner's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Expression Web 3—Your New PHP Tool Kit

Thought visual editors were a thing of the past? Well think again. The Expression Web 3 visual development environment is breaking the stereotype that it’s just a client-side or ASP.NET coding tool, and aiming to establish itself as a very good tool for writing PHP as well.

In our latest tutorial, Expression Web 3 – Your New PHP Tool Kit SitePoint Community Leader Raena Jackson-Armitage takes the latest version of Microsoft’s web development toolkit for a spin.

By creating a simple form, Raena will show you how Expression Web 3 is equipped to handle PHP. In the process, you’ll learn how to visually edit the pages, create clean markup with the code completion tools, and import graphics from Photoshop. By the end of the tutorial, Raena will have well and truly put Expression Web’s promise of an intuitive and helpful Web development experience to the test.

As well as checking out cool features like being able to compare your web page appearance in Internet Explorer 6 through 8, and Firefox, you’ll see how Expression Web 3 differs from FrontPage.

A big thank you to Microsoft for sponsoring our quiz. Why not give it a go and see if Expression Web 3 can make your life easier when it comes to PHP?

Article: Expression Web 3 – Your New PHP Tool Kit
    Quiz: Expression Web 3 Quiz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll stick to Notepad++ thank you very much...
    PSD to HTML / CSS - starting at $99

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll stick to pushing pins in my eyes, while you suckle on the teat of Microsoft
    David Stevens, create-inspire
    PHP London, www.phplondon.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davro View Post
    I'll stick to pushing pins in my eyes, while you suckle on the teat of Microsoft
    Where that came from? Sure I don't approve all the things Microsoft does either, but isn't that a bit hateful?

Give the guy a break, he's only doing his job

ALT.NET - because we need it silver trophybronze trophy dhtmlgod's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davro View Post
    Mmmmmm :P

I'ld sooner push pins into my eyes that write PHP

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this Microsoft's web design interface answer to Adobe's Dreamweaver?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, it's actually a replacement for FrontPage.

I just started using Expression Web over Dreamweaver and find it a lot faster.

Have tried to use with PHP locally, but have a problem with IIS and WAMP. Not sure how to get IIS to use the PHP install from WAMP. Not a big deal, as I just upload to devel hosting server.

-C

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dhtmlgod View Post
    Mmmmmm :P

I'ld sooner push pins into my eyes that write PHP
    Quoted for truth

I'd really contend it is a aimed at the dreamweaver, rather than the front page market, which really dropped into the sharepoint market which is why Front Page is now called "Sharepoint Designer".

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wfc2009 View Post
    Is this Microsoft's web design interface answer to Adobe's Dreamweaver?
    I think so!!!

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not a lot of love in here, but I happen to agree with everyone. I have no reason to make use of ExpressionWeb or Dreamweaver, no matter what people say the WYSIWYG editor will be permanently tainted as a distasteful method of producing clean standards compliment code and nothing Microsoft have produced including ExpressionWeb changes that. I will stick to my beautiful Notepad++ which is slim and ever so much friendlier!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think these big guys are going in the wrong direction.

we want things to be clean and light. however these guys are making more and more big, massive resource eating monsters thats ever so complicating to use.

be it programming or designs, i always believe that less is more.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm very surprised to hear that this is a leading editor for an open source language, being it's made by Microsoft.
    Alex Stanford @alexstanford tumblog about.me in fb G+ K
    TechTalkin — The Premier Community for Technology Enthusiasts and Professionals
    Full Ambit MediaZero Sacrifice Web Design & Development; Made in the USA @fullambit in fb G+ K

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Alex, well Microsoft have become more open, just look at visual studio, the new GUI language for .NET applications makes use of XAML, an open source XML based formatting language which uses the windows presentation foundation framework (though I still use Windows Forms 2.0).

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    XAML, an open source XML based formatting language which uses the windows presentation foundation framework
    So, an open source language that only works with a proprietary framework? Sounds like Micro-speak to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You could say the same thing about Adobe, I don't see why your suddenly lobbying against Microsoft.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It just sounds strange. It kind of grates on me when MS talks about XAML as "based on open source XML" as if that makes XAML "open source". Since XAML only works with Windows and .NET, how is that an advantage? And how is a language open source? Adobe's stuff at least runs on all platforms. I don't know. Microsoft's been getting on my nerves lately.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KhakiMan View Post
    No, it's actually a replacement for FrontPage.

I just started using Expression Web over Dreamweaver and find it a lot faster.

Have tried to use with PHP locally, but have a problem with IIS and WAMP. Not sure how to get IIS to use the PHP install from WAMP. Not a big deal, as I just upload to devel hosting server.

-C
    Getting PHP to play with IIS is pretty easy actually... I haven't done an install for a few years but I used to set up all my machines with IIS + PHP and sometimes JSP too. As I recall, you just grab the Windows installer version (msi) and install it. It runs in CGI mode so it isn't as quick as a production server but it'll do the job.

I'm a big time Dreamweaver fan because of the site management and syntax tools but I'll give this a whirl when I get a chance. I find MS code completion really good and it it has the code refactoring tools that VS has then for really big stuff it would be very useful.
    Andrew Wasson | www.lunadesign.org
    Principal / Internet Development

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icantthinkofone View Post
    Adobe's stuff at least runs on all platforms.
    Really? Tell that to the Apple iPhone.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would one want to do heavy graphics/flash authoring on an iPhone?

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wwb_99 View Post
    Would one want to do heavy graphics/flash authoring on an iPhone?
    In a word, yes but not necessarily heavy flash graphics. When used with discretion, flash can be a very nice (light weight) addition to a website. At the moment I've been checking for iPhone or iTouch using something similar to $iPhone = strpos($_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'],"iPhone"); and then conditionally serve more basic media.

It sure would be nice if I didn't have to do that.
    Andrew Wasson | www.lunadesign.org
    Principal / Internet Development

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Flash is the most requested feature for the iPhone and has been pretty much since it launched. With the potential for flash games, media streaming, video and audio on demand and that much of the web makes use of the technology, it's something I would like to see available on the platform.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, yeah, that client angle. I was thinking from a purely design--eg Expression Web or CS4--perspective.

Though, as I understand things, lack of Java and Flash on the iPhone isn't a techical thing, its a business decision--Apple is not allowing it, perhaps mainly to keep rich internet apps off the phone and create a moat around their app store.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't know to be honest, Apple did at one point get into talks with Adobe about creating a version of Flash for the iPhone but from what I gathered it was Adobe that refused (and didn't explain their grounds for refusal - possibly the terms of the licensing or development) so the thing was frozen in hiatus for a while. I would say that it would make better financial sense for Apple to support Flash purely because Flash applications run within the browser and are web-dependant, mobile apps from the store aren't (to as much of an extent) so it's like comparing the software to the web app market.