User Tag List

Thread: Frames

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frames

Wondering if you can help. I tried to help someone with this site that's built with frames. Since it's in frames, I can't give you direct link to page so here's the path to the page with the problem: click "New! Palestine Diary 2009" on top left navigation > scroll to bottom and click "Radio Interviews". It will take you to "Radio Shows". None of the links are working on this page. I tried different paths, but they won't work. I have no experience with frames so am not sure how to figure this one out. All the other pages just have the a href link as the file name like <a href="jerusulum.html"></a> and no folders in the path. I tried the path with the folders/directories: "../diary/Diary 2009/Radio Shows/jerusulum.html", etc. but nothing would work. Any ideas? Not even sure what info to offer so let me know what you need like file structure, etc.

Thanks so much!

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This site triggered my antivirus program. Word to the wise.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I have no experience with frames so am not sure how to figure this one out.
    You may not have signed up for it, but the best solution would absolutely be to redo the site without frames. Figuring out why URLs aren't working in a framed site can be a nightmare.

Robert Wellock silver trophybronze trophy xhtmlcoder's Avatar
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Max View Post
    This site triggered my antivirus program. Word to the wise.
    Good call.

Yes, that hyperlink/site seems to be infected by a VIRUS or code exploit! Now if you can get rid of that malicious code I'll look again. I'd assume you haven't named your targets correctly.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stomme poes, I agree to rebuild w/o frames. Have suggested that. For now, she wants to get it working....

Black Max and xhtmlcoder: Mine didn't trigger my anti-virus. Which one do you use? I use Kaspersky.

Robert Wellock silver trophybronze trophy xhtmlcoder's Avatar
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use several Antivirus programs but the one that triggered was AVG Anti-Virus Pro - I suspect there is a "JavaScript based Frame code exploit their called: HTML/Framer" (rather than a virus) but still it wouldn't have triggered unless there was a suspect script there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually prefer using CSS as frames tend to be a little more difficult to work with, but, hey, they were created with early html. They also require a minimum of 3 files, so its more to keep up with.

Attached is a sample that I created to help demonstrate a simple frameset.

If you load the index.html into a text editor you will see how it is set up (use a text editor, not DreamWeaver)

It works like this. index.html defines the left frame as "leftFrame" and defines the right frame as "rightFrame" and what is initially loaded into them. In the left.html file, note that the first links loads right.html into the right frame, note in the link target="rightFrame". Next notices how the second link, in the left frame, loads right1.html into "rightFrame"

Think of index.html, in this case as sorta of like a "settings file", the server reads the settings and sets up the frames you have defined within it and gives each frame a "name". Then, in these files you can set up links that will load different files into whatever target frame you want.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    intragenesis, llc professional web & graphic design