User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Making a better wheel silver trophy DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very interesting thread.

not sure i buy the thing about packets. PHP should send its output to the Web server virtually instantly. it should then be the Web server's responsibility to handle the packets. PHP shouldn't be delayed by this.

ok, i just tried the above code and it looks like i'm wrong and Ron's right. on my local system, i get the same results as you. uploaded it to my host and it takes like more than a second to echo 20,000 chars to my 56k connection.

now that seems weird though. in other scripts, i echo lots of small bits of text, yet even when those are on my server, it doesn't get any slower. that suggests that the echo's are instant.
    - Matt ** Ignore old signature for now... **
    Dr.BB - Highly optimized to be 2-3x faster than the "Big 3."
    "Do not enclose numeric values in quotes -- that is very non-standard and will only work on MySQL." - MattR

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it makes sense to me that echo would hold script execution, untill the process was completed, especially since you get a 'true' or 'false' response as to whether it was successfull or not
    Web Hound
    $x='010000010110001101101001011001000101001001100101011010010110011101101110';
    for($i=0;$i<strlen($x);$i+=8)print(chr(bindec(substr($x,$i,8))));

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi I created a new topic for the following post I made below, the new topic name is

"tips for optimizing my php/mysql site "

thank you to cyngon

<!--
    /*
    Hi i was thinking of starting a new topic, but my question is also about optimizing my site's mysql database, so i hope this is ok.

I have a php/mysql/apache/win2000
    site/application with about 40,000++ records, only about 30 people use it the whole day. But the mysql database hangs up a couple of times a day. When that happens, I get the error message on my page that the page "cannot connect to mysql at localhost..."
    what seems to be the problem, and how to optimize?

thanks!

*/

-->
    Last edited by soned; Jun 28, 2002 at 00:33.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    soned,

You should deffinatly start a new thread. This thread is specifically about optomization of the echo function in PHP.

Starting a new thread will benefit you because more people will see it, and are more likely to apply. Also, it will keep the discussion of these two topics in different threads like they should be.

When you do post a new thread, I suggest editing your post in this thread to reflect that.