SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HELP! "Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet Site...

Hi,
    Haven`t been around for awhile and thought sitepoint forums might be a good place to get help.
    When trying to access my client`s website using Internet Explorer, I get (and everybody I've consulted) gets the error message: Internet Explorer cannot open the internet site http://www.puppis.com.ar - Operation Aborted

If accessed using firefox, no problem.
    If the site is accessed directly on the server: http://puppis.ar23.toservers.com, no problem. The hosting provider says its a coding problem. Could this be?
    Any help will be appreciated!
    Thanks and best regards

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you validate your code that should cure the problem - see http://validator.w3.org/check?verbos...ppis.com.ar%2F

The one issue is that you have a duplicate </head> tag which is stopping IE from rendering the page.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi bluedreamer,

First of all, thanks very much for your help and sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.
    I reviewed the W3C validation and corrected the code. Re validated the index page and result was that it passed the validation : "This document was successfully checked as XHTML 1.0 Transitional!"

But the problem comes back and then fixes itself again. Can it be that waht is being rendered is from a proxy server ( cached pages) and the problem resides there? As a test, I uploaded parts of the site to a different server and there it works fine and shows updated content.

Thanks again for your assistance
    Happy New Year!

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    See if turning off JavaScript eliminates the problem. I had a similar issue a few months back and it was occurring due to an error, incompatibility with JavaScript. I can't remember what the fix was though…

You can also try commenting out/temporary removing all the JavaScript. I believe that is what I did when I was debugging this same issue.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oddz View Post
    See if turning off JavaScript eliminates the problem. I had a similar issue a few months back and it was occurring due to an error, incompatibility with JavaScript. I can't remember what the fix was though…

You can also try commenting out/temporary removing all the JavaScript. I believe that is what I did when I was debugging this same issue.
    hi oddz,

thanks. Yes I read somewhere about java script possibly interfering. The navigation menu has swap image for roll over behavior of buttons. This could be it(?). will try.
    thanks again

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One more thing, when in IE8, the site won`t open, with the bak button, the site opens showing partial content, then if I hit the Compatibility View button that IE 8 has, the site loads perfectly.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would try this method for preloading images:
    http://perishablepress.com/press/200...ut-javascript/

SitePoint Guru Chroniclemaster1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can also try CSS only menus, and use the javascript solution through IE6 or less conditional comments. That deploys CSS for virtually all modern browsers that support it, and covers IE6 which is the only browser with more than 1&#37; marketshare that does not. That's what I do on my website.

And if you hate IE6 enough not to support it, then you don't even have to deploy Javascript at all.
    Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it.
    Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now.

Chroniclemaster1, Founder of Earth Chronicle
    A Growing History of our Planet, by our Planet, for our Planet.