SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Central, PA - originally from Monterey, CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Java Applet verses JavaScript for scrolling text

I am looking at a clientís site that has a scrolling text bar at the bottom of the page for latest news. I have been asked to recommend whether they keep the scrolling text as a java applet or whether they make it dhtml with Javascript to make it scroll.

To be honest, Iím not sure whether there really is an important difference, in terms of download time, likelihood of working (if client browsers are better enabled for one verses the other), or whether there are any other reasons one should be used over the other.

I know if it was put into a scrolling layer, at least a search engine could read the text.

Is there any reason to choose one method over the other?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
    worksdev

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally i'd shoot them all in the ankles and shout:
    "Don't ask for stupid gimmicks you FOOLS"

But if they are REALLY, and i mean REALLY determined to have scrolling text for news ( rather than something functional ) then you should go for JS i think.
    It's not, IMO, enough to warrant a Java app, and there's a lot more chance of Javascript working than Java.

Flawless
    ---=| If you're going to buy a pet - get a Shetland Giraffe |=---

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please use JavaScript! On my slightly clapped out old computer everything slows to a crawl for about 30 seconds when I visit a page with a Java applet while the Java runtime environment slowly loads itself in to memory, then half the time my system crashes shortly afterwards. Also Java does not come installed as default on Windows XP these days so visitors on new PCs will be asked to download the plugin. Using DHTML (or even Flash) is a much better option.