SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    SitePoint Addict
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Turkey
    Posts
    372
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    some DNS questions

    Hello,

    as far as I know, I can keep my registrar's name servers and still can point my domain to my host's name servers.

    for ex. I will keep name.com's name servers and point to my host's name servers.

    I'm thinking to use Google apps to give email accounts to my users. But I don't want the service cuts when moving to another host.

    so can you tell me how to do this ?

    Better if you could give me web tutorial addresses on this subject.

    thx.

  2. #2
    Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Philadephia, PA
    Posts
    20,578
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sense View Post
    . But I don't want the service cuts when moving to another host.
    Change the DNS records to point to the new host before you cancel service at the old host. That's how you make a zero downtime transition.

    As to how to change those records, you need to read the help/manual for your registrar. Each one has a different control panel.

  3. #3
    SitePoint Addict
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Turkey
    Posts
    372
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post

    As to how to change those records, you need to read the help/manual for your registrar. Each one has a different control panel.
    my question is not how to use these control panels. question is what needs to be done. adding AAA or cname records etc...

  4. #4
    SitePoint Wizard SiberForum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,197
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the mail services you might need to edit your MX recored for the domain name.
    BTW google has a guide - why don't use that?

  5. #5
    SitePoint Addict
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Turkey
    Posts
    372
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SiberForum View Post
    For the mail services you might need to edit your MX recored for the domain name.
    BTW google has a guide - why don't use that?
    I'm not asking how to change MX records!

    I will repeat. Question:

    How can I use a hosting service while I keep name servers of my registrar ?

  6. #6
    Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Philadephia, PA
    Posts
    20,578
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sense View Post
    I'm not asking how to change MX records!

    I will repeat. Question:

    How can I use a hosting service while I keep name servers of my registrar ?
    MX records are one of the types of DNS records you'll need to set to keep the name servers at your registrar.

    He answered your question.

    A records pointing the domains to the IP of your host as well.

  7. #7
    SitePoint Addict
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Turkey
    Posts
    372
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post

    A records pointing the domains to the IP of your host as well.
    that's the answer. so how ??? any web tutorial you can advise ?

  8. #8
    Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Philadephia, PA
    Posts
    20,578
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, the interface is different at each registrar

    If you don't know what an A record is, you can look it up at wikipedia. All you need to know is that you put in your domain and the IP it should resolve to.

  9. #9
    SitePoint Wizard SiberForum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,197
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How can I use a hosting service while I keep name servers of my registrar ?
    To use web hosting service while keeping your registrar's name servers possible when you:
    1. Have web hosting service from the registrar
    2. By changing A records.

  10. #10
    SitePoint Addict
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Turkey
    Posts
    372
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SiberForum View Post
    To use web hosting service while keeping your registrar's name servers possible when you:
    1. Have web hosting service from the registrar
    2. By changing A records.
    it's allready mentioned above. unhelpful commenting...

  11. #11
    SitePoint Zealot
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    122
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I understand well, you want to use both: your registrar's Name Servers and your hosting provider Name Servers at the same time?

    To do this, you need to change your registrar's settings to:

    Name Server 1: ns1.your-registrar.com
    Name Server 2: ns2.your-registrar.com
    Name Server 3: ns1.your-webhost.com
    Name Server 4: ns2.your-webhost.com


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •