• PHP 5 Objects, Patterns, and Practice

1 100.00%
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which book is best on Object Oriented Php? - put to a Vote

Hello,

I am interested to read a book on Object Oriented Php so I very much want to know which one of the many books on this subject is the best.

So with the above said, question is how to decide what is the best book on Object Oriented Php 5?
    I think the Majority Vote of the people is the best way to find out what is the best choice as many examples and studies have shown this to be the case. So I have assembled below the 5 books on this subject that have gotten highest ratings and then have presented them in a Poll which you all can Vote on and then we will see which book gets the most number of Votes, and that is the book that I will choose to buy and read based on Majority Vote of you the people who are most informed in this area.

The 5 books are:

Object-Oriented PHP: Concepts, Techniques, and Code - by Peter Lavin
    PHP Object-Oriented Solutions - by David Powers
    PHP 5 Power Programming - by Stig Bakken
    The PHP Anthology: Object Oriented PHP Solution - by Harry Fuecks
    PHP 5 Objects, Patterns, and Practice - by Matt Zandstra

<snip>

Well I am eagerly looking for the results since i am eagerly looking forward to starting on learning Object Oriented Php.

Regards,
    Last edited by Dan Grossman; Dec 20, 2009 at 19:19. Reason: Self-promotion removed

Anoox search engine volunteer

www.anoox.com

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I added a poll to your post. There was no reason to link everyone to your own site with a poll surrounded by ads, when vBulletin forums have polls built in.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol

edit- But if you're looking for a recommendation for yourself, you need to consider you own knowledge level. I'm not familiar with any of those books, but I imagine some are more advanced than others, assuming you're familiar with oop...in which case you might want to avoid for now.

I recommend you read the user reviews on a site like amazon.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    I added a poll to your post.

Thank you .

There was no reason to link everyone to your own site with a poll surrounded by ads, when vBulletin forums have polls built in.
    Well just wanted a Poll that was free and quick to create so that people could Vote on this subject and anoox offers such a free poll services. I did not know that sitepoint offered a free poll that we could integrate into our messages. OTN, for future purpose how do we create a free poll that we can integrate into our messages? I looked around and see no buttons/links leading to it!

www.anoox.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    crmalibu, yes of course I have read the user reviews on Amazon.com and also a few related posts here on Sitepoint about this same question. But non leads one to a firm conclusion as to which one of these books is best? And since the question of "which one is the best...", depends on many factors, I thought one way to answer this question is via the "wisdom of the crowds" which is what a Poll measures. I dont know if you know this or not but many studies have shown that usually you get the most accurate answer to a question by obtaining the "wisdom of the crowds" about that question, which again is what a Poll, voting bout various choices for that question, does. A very good example is that show "who wants to be a Millionaire..", 98% of the time the correct answer was provided by the "ask th audience", which was audience voting for the best answer vs less than 40% of the time via other answering methods. Of course "wisdom of the crowds" method of finding the best answer to a question is not scientific and 100% accurate but it has shown to be more accurate than any other methods.

Quote Originally Posted by crmalibu View Post
    lol

edit- But if you're looking for a recommendation for yourself, you need to consider you own knowledge level. I'm not familiar with any of those books, but I imagine some are more advanced than others, assuming you're familiar with oop...in which case you might want to avoid for now.

I recommend you read the user reviews on a site like amazon.

www.anoox.com