SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 101 to 107 of 107
  1. #101
    SitePoint Zealot Dorsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    103
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason I don't donate is because you get what you pay for. Wikipedia has verisimilitude, but who actually checks the facts? I assume the truth of what's presented, but who really knows?

  2. #102
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer websites and wikis dedicated to some particular topic. Wikipedia tries to be everything at once. It was a good project several (actually, many) years ago, but now it is grown to be a reactive monstrosity that does more harm than good.

    And yes, it ranks first on many queries where it shouldn't. To be fair, that's not Wikipedia's doing, that is a problem with stupid search algorithms that put infinitely more emphasis on the number of incoming links than on page content. It is also a problem of stupid people who feel necessary to link every single word in their posts (blog posts, forum posts) to Wikipedia. What for? If I don't know it, I can look it up myself. Using whatever website I feel is trustworthy.

    ...

    The biggest problem is that many people act like Wikipedia is sufficient for in-depth learning about subjects. That just isn't true. You can look stuff up there, but it's not a place where you would learn how to solve differential equations, for example. However, Wikipedia articles are often copied by other websites, and force more meaningful entries to the n-th page of search results. It's kind of like pollution.

  3. #103
    SitePoint Member misterhs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i totally agree with gambler, for example dorsey why are you so sure of what you say ? they proved you that they are a non-profit organization? i don't believe it,anyway I still stand up for "donating to wikipedia suck".

  4. #104
    SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    r937's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    39,215
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambler Z View Post
    ...a reactive monstrosity that does more harm than good.
    please give concrete example of harm

    otherwise, please stfu

    thank you

    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

  5. #105
    Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    8,111
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simsim View Post
    Larry & Sergey would love to see Wikipedia die a painful death, so they can monetize Knol, which appears to be a fail up until now.
    I didn't even know Knol existed, but truth be told Google have spent much of their focus on getting books and magazines scanned and indexed rather than live "home-written" content. Google don't need to monetize it, they have billions to burn, almost limitless bandwidth (so it seems) and enough traffic to turn the beta "labs" project into something much more widely exposed than Wikipedia (With enough marketing).

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    Not surprising. Wikipedia's probably the site Google sends more traffic to than any other, and every page has been plastered with enormous donation begs that whole time.
    Those new donation begs really irritated the heck out of me, their last ones were less obnoxious but I guess Jimmy needs the cash, those begging sprees seem to appear larger, more often and longer lasting all the time. You would almost prefer Google AdWords on the header than to see a size 36pt typeface asking for donations).

    Quote Originally Posted by simsim View Post
    The fact that they rely on their biggest and most popular project to recruit people for donating to them is marketing.
    And being fair to the Wikimedia foundation, their other projects are actually quite good... Check out the below web design tutorials I found on their side projects!

    Pretty decent for basic articles.

  6. #106
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very true about their balance sheet. They aren't thriving, but they aren't starving either.

  7. #107
    Sesame Street Iimitk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    662
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    And being fair to the Wikimedia foundation, their other projects are actually quite good.
    And don't forget MediaWiki, the open source wiki software powering all its projects, and many other projects of big names in the Internet and outside, including but not limited to Facebook, Nokia, Wikia and many others.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge. - Einstein


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •