SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Website security without using a password?

Hi All

I had a question concerning security. I would like to setup a website on a companies intranet. Anybody in the company should be able to excess the site. No one outsite of the intranet should be able to view the website. I realise that I could use a password system, but this is kind of annoying, particularly if there are a large number of employees.

Is there someway of ensuring that only company members (computers on the intranet) can see the website? If the intranet is secure, do I even need to worry about this issue? How does one find out if the intranet is secure or not?

I love making webpages but my skills fall a little short on issues such as security. Any tips, suggestions, links to good tutorials, etc would be much appreciated.

Many thanks, Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Edit IP address and domain name restrictions (if you are using Windows/IIS)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This would be quite easy to do with .htaccess as long as you know the IPs of those who needed to access it. You can specify which IP(s) are allowed access to the site and you can prevent anyone else from viewing it.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Ask the Network Admin Group

If the Intranet is secure than there is no need to worry about this issue, just put it on one of the servers that isn't accessible from the outside. The easiest thing to do would be to put up a page and see if you can get to it when you go home.

Ask the network group. If you want to further secure the box, use TCP Wrapper to restrict other networks from accessing the server besides the one you are on.