Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    I really was unhappy when they announced XHTML2 was being abandoned
    So was I. XHTML 2 offered some real benefits that would be achieved once browsers supported them.

HTML 5 isn't adding anything that isn't already available in HTML 4.01 (all it is doing is adding a few aliases for tags that already exist - mostly subsets of the <object> tag) and is in fact going backwards in some areas. Those tags that were deprecated in HTML 4 that have been added back in the HTML 5 draft were declared to be obsolete for a reason and that reason still exists.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    One thing which REALLY bug's me about HTML5 is the fact they deprecated the rev attribute (it played it's part as a mirror opposite to rel - not role) because it had a genuine use for measuring anchor directions in social networking and Microformats (especially for search engines) to understand the relationships between pages. I know it was abused and poorly adopted but it had real potential and with it gone there's no replacement for it (I even debated this with the spec editor, lol).

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    One thing which REALLY bug's me about HTML5 is the fact they deprecated the rev attribute
    I knew they were reintroducing garbage tags that are unnecessary but I didn't realise that they are also getting rid of useful attributes. Another good reason to ignore HTML 5 and stick with HTML 4.01 and another clear indication of how big a backwards step that HTML 5 is. There are just so many things that show that the people who are "designing" HTML 5 don't have the first clue as to the purpose of HTML and shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the web.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">